Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Does anyone hear a parallel between Tony Williams and Vinnie? Vinnie plays very aggressive and has a big sound like Tony does. I'm sure Vinnie would list Tony as an inspiration to his playing, but the way Vinnie plays on the classic Chick Corea Blue Note is a perfect example of his aggressiveness...as compared to the "feathery" work of Dave Weckl with the Acoustic Band.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

oh YEAH, definitely. check out 'Slink' from VC's solo album for evidence that Vinnie has Tony's bag *down* !! i am remembering much of his early stuff (zappa, vanelli, robben ford) had lot's of classic Tony flams, cymbal & triplet stuff. i guess the live Tokyo / Blue Note stuff is kinda like 'Four & More' Miles, but only in the approach, IMO.

Geoff

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Vinnie has stated in countless quotes & interviews that Tony was his MAJOR influence...

Quote from VC interview, "Drums & Drumming" mag., Jan. '91:

"I was in a stage band competition [around 9th/10th grade] & this other drummer came up to me & asked, 'who's your fav. drum'r?' & I said, 'Buddy Rich.' So, I asked him the same & he said, 'Tony Wms,' & I was like, 'Who?' So he told me to go buy the record 'Ego.' When I 1st listened to it, it was so alien to anyth'g I'd ever heard b4. About 2 yrs. later, I put 'Ego' back on the turntable, & it was like I'd just opened the lid to the Ark of the Covenant or someth'g - a light just went on in my head - it was as if the sky had just opened in my head. I went out & bought every Tony record that I could get my hands on. From that point I realized that Tony was the genius of the drums - what a force he was & how powerful & truthful his musical statement was - it changed my life; it made a profound impact.
    On my 1st day at Berklee ['74], I was walk'g down the street, & there was Steve Smith sit'g on the steps. We took lessons together & became great friends. I used to go over to his house until 4 o'clock in the morn'g with a jar of peanut butter, a Tony W record, & a ride cymbal; & we'd sit there play'g ride patterns as fast as we could until the 1st guy fell asleep.
    Berklee was a turn'g point for me conceptually, because I started listen'g to different kinds/styles of music. Fusion was in it's heyday & I was really gettin into Miles, McCoy Tyner, Mahavishnu, Cobham, Gadd, & Alphonze Mouzon, who was way left; conceptually he was so far advanced. It really shifted my head & made me realize that because of my rudimental background, I almost had to empty my mind in order to grasp the concept."

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Fuse, thanks for the information...I am currently studying at Berklee and find it very interesting that Vinnie talked of his experience here. I haven't read anything about him specifically referring to Berklee. Only Berklee seems to advertise his past presence here. Thanks!
    Daniel

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

feathery work of dave weckl? in all of his recordings with chick, it was nothing but feathery. if you listen to the "alive" and "insideout" albums he's really laying into the drums. i never understood why people think he plays soft. i've seen him in numerous gigs and videos and he's one of the hardest hitting drummers. it may look "feathery" because of his airy technique but the sound is nothing but. he even held his stick far back in his left hand to get that loud fat snare sound. i agree that vinnie has an incomparable energy to his playing but dave ain't no softy himself.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Peanut Butter, what the heck?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Interesting stuff. I could never wrap my mind around Tony's playing though I've always appreciated it. Vinnie's playing has been easy to get inside. (I saw them both play at a PASIC conference on the same day!).

Dave's "feathery" playing? I can see where that's comming from, but I think it's more of a recording technique issue than the actual contact of his sticks against the heads.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

... the DW 'feathery' issue seems to have stemmed from some of the guys in these forums observations about the Buddy Rich Mem. Schol. Conc. Tp 2 vid [w/ DW, Gadd, & VC] - let me put all your fears to rest - after seeing DW play w/ the CCEBReU on 10/19 & 24, I assure u guys that he is thwackin em when he has/or/wants to....w/ little or NO sacrifice of his now well-documented technique, infamous phrasing, OR his uncanny meter....

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

... oh, yeah, AND - [if'n ya' wansta' beah way-betta' drumma'] -

Be SURE & EAT LOTSA' PEANUT BUTTER

- preferrably the least-sugary-tasting, as this will make you jittery & rush the meter, like a kid on jelly-beans/gummy-bears/mega-wally-dude-warheads [never heard of "Nikk's What-The-Heck" PB brand, tho....]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I don't think feathery is a bad description of Weckl at all. (ok, maybe it's a little to extreme)

I'm not one to say louder is better so don't get offended anyone. I've seen them both many times (as I know others here have as well) and Vinnie plays much harder and louder generally speaking. I'm sure this doesn't speak to Weckl's ability as much as his personal style and sound. I know I don't play as loud as I'm capable of and I'm sure you don't either. ;-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast