Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I guess now would be a good time to repost that Tony video clip I made for the site a while ago. Some of you may have seen it, others not. Its a drum solo from the "Tony Williams Live in NY" video. Must see for any drummer.
    http://www.houseofdrumming.com/tony_williams.zip

Vinnies solo by himself at the start of the drum trio on the BRMSC is similar to this Tony solo. Snare springs off, playing melodies.
    Generally speaking a lot of flam oriented phrasing comes from Tony, it's trickled to a LOT of guys, not just Vinnie. The hand-foot rolls? TONY. I once heard Efrian Toro say that most big Fusion guys are either from the Tony school or the Gadd school. But by now, I would say Vinnie and Dave have graduated from BOTH. =)

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ October 30, 2002 07:06 PM: Message edited by: Steve Holmes ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

That is a 'mondo-correcto' assertion, Steve-o, sir - w/ a li'l Buddy, Cobham, Elvin, AMouzon, & even Lenny & Narada thrown into the cookin'-pot to boot....
    GreggB uses those flams every now & then in his own phrasings....
    In my "drum'g journey," I discovered VC b4 TW, actually. & when i 1st heard TW's "Believe It" ["Fred" & "Proto Cosmos," esp.], it blew me away - the similarities between TW & VC [where VC received much of his inspiration] were immediately evident - the natural progression between TW & VC, sts [so-to-speak]....

Inactive Member numeroUnoHODfan's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Wow, Steve!!!
    A MOST striking resemblance between the two intros!!!

Please recommend some Tony "must haves", as I've none in my collection (went from Neil Peart to Dave Weckl to Vinnie... stopped there).

Thanks in advance.

Inactive Member djsnjones@mindspring.com's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

We just started sending out individualized welcomes to all of our new members. We hope that it helps people get acquainted with us more quickly. [img]graemlins/rose.gif[/img]

We prefer to not send out automated, generalized messages, because we prefer the more personal, friendly touch. [img]smile.gif[/img]

And contrary to what you are implying, we did not write to you to only point out what was wrong with your post.

For future reference, please email or PM one of us if you disagree with one of our decisions, rather than commenting on it publicly on the board. [img]wink.gif[/img]

Thanks for the reply to our email. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Thanks,
    The Moderator Team

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12