Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I started a thread on the "new" HOD forum about this Greek guy, with a link to his video page, but, it's not getting much traction. Go check out the thread "impressive polyrhytmic independence."

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Pretty cool
    It sounds like he said that the pattern he played with his feet is 3 against 4, but its actually 3 against 2 or 6 against 4.

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ January 18, 2006 10:08 PM: Message edited by: shockediddle ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I believe the lack of attention has to do with the fact that impressive polyrhytmic independence is to music what hairy women are to baseball.
    They have nothing to do with each other.
    Let Panos enjoy his lack of gigs, and continue with his polyrhythms in his garage. Just know that the worlds greatest musicians don't use true odd polyrhythmic independence to make music.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Paraflam:
    Just know that the worlds greatest musicians don't use true odd polyrhythmic independence to make music.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I dont know who is this Panos Guy, and I did not see him, but I must agree with what says Paraflam here.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Smile

Are you saying polyrhythms are inherently unmusical or just that the world's greatest musicians don't use them? So drummer's who play phrases of 3's over a note base of fours, or vice versa, are now by edict - not making music? Tell that to Elvin, Trilok, Bill Stewart, Vinnie, Tony, Dave DiCenso, etc..

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Smile

Henry, I agree about his independence. I've seen this clip before and it strikes me as very "Jimbo-esque".

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well I think he just means that polyrhythms on their own don't mean anything, and the fact that you have "Cool" polyrhythmic independance doesn't really have much musical significance.

I think what Paraflam means is that true musicians play music, sometimes by using polyrhythms.... But the polyrhythm independance (Like what this guy is supposedly demonstrating (I actually saw the video once a while ago and never re-looked at it this time)) itself doesn't mean anything. It is just the means to get to your end result -- good music.

I think the same goes for most chops related stuff... it seem like many players forget what chops are for. Is it to make music? or is it something you have just for the sake of having?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

We must play what the music dictate us to do.

If it's some 3 against 2 at the right moment dictated by some interaction with musicians, fine.
    But if it's : "ok I gonna play this 3 against 2 because it's cool and because I can do it..."
    There is in my humble opinion no musical interest.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Paraflam:
    I believe the lack of attention has to do with the fact that impressive polyrhytmic independence is to music what hairy women are to baseball.
    They have nothing to do with each other.
    Let Panos enjoy his lack of gigs, and continue with his polyrhythms in his garage. Just know that the worlds greatest musicians don't use true odd polyrhythmic independence to make music.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Ummm! No, I think it has to do with the fact that HODers aren't going to the new site much. As for musical application, if you looked at the Montuno clip, Mr. Vassilopoulos demonstrates what he's all about - the drummer making the music himself with polyrhythms and electronics.

Frankly, I think a drummer who can replace an entire latin band and rhythm section with a drum kit and triggers has attained an enviable level of skill.

Sorry you didn't appreciate it.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Frankly, I think a drummer who can replace an entire latin band and rhythm section with a drum kit and triggers has attained an enviable level of skill.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">If that were only the case. This type of stuff always sounds thin to me.

It takes two hands to play timbales, congas and agogo bells.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast