Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I saw Vinnie tonight in a jazz quartet. Knowing that many don't have the opportunity we in LA have, I thought I'd share a little about what a drummer heaven might be. Becasue of this site, I thought about many of you guys this evening.

The past month I've seen Virgil Donati 3x, Toss Panos, Joey Heredia, Tom Brechtlein,Gary Novak, and Vinnie...and even got an email from Vic Firth!

Tonight I met Virgil, we hung out before the show and sat together. After the first show, Vinnie asks Virgil back stage. I hop along and instantly I'm hangin' with Virgil and Vinnie. It was like hanging out with your buddies on the street corner. These have to be two of the most down-to-earth guys around-forget about being drum gods. Very cool people!

You see & hear these guys in the magazines, on video, and on CD. They become larger than life. Yet, just spending an evening with them made me feel sorta silly- these are just guys-unbelievably gifted and dedicated- but just guys.
    I must say, after seeing all these drummers and seeing Vinnie for the first time tonight, Ol' VinMan had the greatest fusion of technique, taste, feel, and creativity. He played a lot of notes, but it felt good. He just knew what to hit and when to hit it- and he played with youthful zeal!
    A very nice evening to say the least!

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ August 04, 2002 03:51 AM: Message edited by: PocketPlayer ]</font>

jonthibault

WORD. Nice work, dude.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Unhappy

wish i was there.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

What a happy Man !!!! Have a glass with those guys ......
    Thanks for your report Pocket.
    One day I'll come to visit your crazy state !!!!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Sounds like a great evening to say the least.

You know, the thing about seeing a jazz band playing a couple nights, or several sets in an evening is you never know if you're going to get THE set. You can narrow it down by going to the second set however. The second set is almost always better than the first for obvious reasons. The band is warmed up, a little more used to the sound of the room, monitor changes have been made accordingly.
    T-Bo and I went to the second set on Fri at the bakery and I think we caught one of the better sets. The band sounded good all around. Vinnie was very focused on playing music, listening very intently as he played. He made a point of not getting in the way and being very supportive. Of course the last tune of the night he took a solo. An OPEN solo. When it started T-Bo and I just looked at eachother and expected the Amusemnt Park employee to come by and make sure our hydraulic bar was secured tightly over our shoulders like on the roller coasters. It was INSANE. An amazing solo to say the least.
    He is truly a master and it was inspiring.

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ August 06, 2002 01:43 AM: Message edited by: Steve Holmes ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

hey pocketplayer, i was there that night too. i was very surprised to see virgil there.
    vinnie was totally smokin that night. during intermission i asked randy waldman(piano) how he keeps time when vinnie does all those metric modulating 4/8 bar solos and he said, "just tap your foot, concentrate as hard as you can and hope you come in on the 1." it was pretty cool cus i also got his number. all those guys are totally down to earth, especially vinnie. if anyone knows of other live gigs he has coming up, please let us know!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Gee, I'm jealous! Sounds like you had great time.

(You definitely cannot call Helsinki "a drummer's heaven"...) [img]confused.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

1 o' these daze I'm gonna get my evaluvin posterior out 2 LA, & ... THIS is STILL a COOL SITE... & GETTIN COOLER by the MINUTE ....