Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Mike Mangini became the first man to hit 1200 single strokes in 60 seconds

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

...MUCH more.

Here, here, PC. [img]cool.gif[/img]

MM can nail the jots or ticks in a wavefrom...but I'd rather feel Abe Jr [or DiCenso's] groove...he does have incredible technq, tho [AWA spot-on time, if you're into that...better than bad time, for sure, I'll wager!]...nothing inherently wrong w that, necessarily. & he's a good role model for good study & practice habits, w infectuous positivity & proactivity. No doubt he's a drumming monster. [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img]

[...& Sorry I missed your comment, Stv; bet it was a good one, tho] [img]wink.gif[/img]

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ January 31, 2005 03:06 PM: Message edited by: fuseU1 ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

What IS interesting, is once a frequency of over 20 cycles (or strokes, if you will) per second has been reached, the 'ear' perceives it as a PITCH instead of discrete events. 1200/60= 20hz. So therefore, Mike has reached the 20hz threshhold, to induce a perception of pitch. That is the way the brain is wired and therefore i think that is interesting that Mike has achieved what is the 'true' reason for a roll in the first place: to simulate a pitched sustain.

Would i spend this must time on this? Nope, but i still think it is note-worthy.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

LDGuy

I'd never enter one.
    Do you see guys like Weckl, Donati, Vinnie, Gadd, or the other musically based guys enter competitions? Seems rather pointless to me.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Musical like Virgil??? What??? (I'll not carry on, that's a whole other ball game and forum topic...)

Let me start by saying these competitions are not my cup of tea. They encourage what's wrong about music!!! I once stumbled into one of these competitions and won myself a Pearl snare.

LET ME FINISH BEFORE YOU RESPOND!!!!!!!

I work with a chap for a website here in England and we begrudgingly went to review the event as it was part of a new shop opening. Nobody was going into the event (there was a crowd of kids round the stage that wanted too but were just too emabarrased to be the first up), so I got cajoled to get up there and break the ice so to speak.

I did and then it opened the floodgates. Happy that our work was done, we reviwed the shop and some of the most sicophantic and boring event I have ever witnessed and went home. Half way down the motorway, I got a call to come back to "collect my prize"...

Needless to say, I gave the prize away to put in a charity raffle and was so embarrassed that the review never surfaced... [img]redface.gif[/img] [img]redface.gif[/img] [img]redface.gif[/img]

MP

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

They encourage what's wrong about music!!!
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Wait!
    I would more quickly afford that crown to entities like eMpTyV, VecHlempt1, or BeEekTweek...& commercial radio.

I understand your point fully...it's all how you look at it.

Promoting technq only for it's own sake is not really that hip...agreed...but encouraging some kid to play is. Also, these shops do these things to do exactly that - to help promote their shop [business].

& there's nothing wrong w being [or showing that you're] technically adept on your instrument...that's only a fad that's come into effect in the last couple of decades...MTV & the like certainly didn't help.

Could you imagine telling Buddy to "not play so many notes?" [img]graemlins/hmmm.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/whatever.gif[/img]

But I hear ya - agreed, NOT at the expense of groove or being musically tasty.

=============

"Never mind what they're saying...how many posts do they have?!" ;cp

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ January 31, 2005 04:39 PM: Message edited by: fuseU1 ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

MM has great technique. Besides that, all i can say is that i walked out in the middle of one of his clinics once.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I think very highly of Mangini, but I guess I'm in the minority. I'm very impressed with his speed and technique, but I don't really give a damn if he played 1187, or 1201 or whatever. I enjoy his playing, but I'll admit that it can get tiresome after a while.

I don't really have any desire to be that type of drummer, but there is a LOT to be learned from him no matter what style you play. The trick is that you have to be open-minded enough to look past the WFD thing and anaylze his playing and his ideas about how to play, see what applies to your particular objectives, and try to incorporate it into your playing.

I'm not 100% into his method, but I've found some bits and pieces to be very helpful.

I've been to two of his clinics and enjoyed them very much. I can understand some of the criticisms about his style (both for playing and answering questions), but I think some might expect too much from him. It's helpful to keep in mind that his is just one person's perspective on the instrument.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'd never enter one.

Do you see guys like Weckl, Donati, Vinnie, Gadd, or the other musically based guys enter competitions? Seems rather pointless to me.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Mike Mangini broke Art Verdi's traditional grip record and Jotan's record. How many people did this guy dump on? Is this guy human or what?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Belcher:
    Mike was awesome at the NAMM show. Mike did this at the worlds fastest drummer stage. Mike first broke Art Verdi's traditional grip record and now he broke Jotan Afanador's WFD record of 1199 single strokes Who is faster than Mangini? Maybe Superman! ha ha
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You can't hide from me Exporter, you are the same loser from the Pearl Forum who never shuts up about the WFD.

The WFD is bullshit.

Inactive Member got_a_matchgrip's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

OMStars!!

I went back to check the top of this thread again [aft Nev had posted], & had missed Steve's little crickets wav the first time around!!!

ROFLMFAO!! [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

HOT DAYAAMMM - Laughin' 'til I'm [img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img] 'n

Way 2 go, Stv-O...Muhwaahahahahaaaaahhh- [*hack*choke*cough*gurgle*burp*] -HAAaaaahhhh...
    ...er, "'scuse me, pawdun me"...

...1200 single strokes in 60 seconds, eh? That IS impressive...

MM's ma-ma hit him on the toushie faster than that when he was but a wee lad ["get in there n practice!"]...that's why he can do dat. Rumor has it her hand looked like a hummingbird's wings...& MM's a**, some Zappa/Chick/Holdsworth red-inked staff...

Oh, BTW...pete c & mja had good posts here; applicable in the newer MM spankfest thread AW... /;-)

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ July 16, 2005 01:55 AM: Message edited by: got_a_match_grip? ]</font>

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast