Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Mike Mangini became the first man to hit 1200 single strokes in 60 seconds

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

First of all who cares? Second of all, Cesar, you're 100% wrong.
    If you think drummers like Virg, Lang and Mike, can lay grooves down like Gadd, Pelton, Jordan, Marotta, and simply choose not to, either you don't understand what groove is, or you're smoking something. Period.
    I respect the physical accomplishment of guys like Virg, but in the world of music, he's not even known. He's known in the fuso-clinic world of let's play too many notes because we can. But ask Quincy Jones, Arif Mardin, Phil Ramone or any great producer who Virgil is, and they'll say WHO? These guys don't play music for a living, they're an impressive circus act behind the drums. Independence and amazing technique on their own will get you no where in music.
    The heavyweights of the drums don't measure the speed of their single strokes. It really doesn't matter and has nothing to do music.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yeah Dazz...Thanks for that. I'm about to be a bit harsher though. Here's a dose of reality.

Check it......

Yes Lang is NOT known amongst AMERICA's greats. Of course he's now big in London and in Europe. He's European. He easily plays with a click so he does get great pop gigs in Europe.
    The standards are higher in the states. Feel is the most important thing. These guys do not have a good feel. Famous musicians have said it over and over again. I know people who have toured with Lang and Virgil, Mangini, and even Jojo. They have nothing good to say other than, "yeah he has sick chops". Sometimes they even say it's a drag.
    Cesar, are you saying these men chose to play unmusically?? The drummers initial role in music is to lay down a deep pocket for the other musicians to play over. That's what makes music. Jimmy Cobb, Sonny Payne, The drummers of Motown and James Brown, Steve Jordan, Shawn Pelton, Jim Keltner, Steve Gadd, so on and so on. They all did that. Lang does not. Virgil does not. The opening tune of Lang's DVD( a complete waste of $$) is probably the worst feeling groove I've ever heard. There are some cool technical tips, but there's better one's on Weckl's DVDs. And Weckl has a great feel in comparison.

I love what these guys have to offer technically, but, let's not compare them to the true working powerhouses of our time. And the younger upcoming powerhouses like Laboriel Jr, Carlock, Hass, Watson, Miller,and other guys that play for the music, come up with the right feel and drum part for the song and not for the sake of technique. Let's face it, guys like Virgil and Lang will never be in the cutting edge of music. Just the cutting edge of free solo drumming technique. I'd like to hear them take a solo over "Stable Mates" or another tune that has form.

If these guys were soooooo great everything including what I mentioned above, why do Shawn Pelton, and Steve Hass get flown from NY to LA to play on sessions that Vinnie and Abe Jr. can't make? Why don't they call Virgil?? Lang? Mangini?

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ October 09, 2005 04:52 PM: Message edited by: Flarobstix ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Good one Rob and Dazz. This topic itself has nothing to do with music. I myself will just leave it at that.
    Cesar said it best when he said " They're passed that".
    Ok, Cesar. They're passed grooving. Right.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Paraflam:
    First of all who cares? Second of all, Cesar, you're 100% wrong.
    If you think drummers like Virg, Lang and Mike, can lay grooves down like Gadd, Pelton, Jordan, Marotta, and simply choose not to, either you don't understand what groove is, or you're smoking something. Period.
    I respect the physical accomplishment of guys like Virg, but in the world of music, he's not even known. He's known in the fuso-clinic world of let's play too many notes because we can. But ask Quincy Jones, Arif Mardin, Phil Ramone or any great producer who Virgil is, and they'll say WHO? These guys don't play music for a living, they're an impressive circus act behind the drums. Independence and amazing technique on their own will get you no where in music.
    The heavyweights of the drums don't measure the speed of their single strokes. It really doesn't matter and has nothing to do music.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Can you see Virg, Lang, Minneman competing for a gig with true musician/artists like Harvey Mason, Alphonse Mouzon, Lenny White, Herlin Riley, Brian Blade, Jack DeJohnette, Jeff Tain Watts. Neither can I.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Mike Mangini is the best He has a bare handed record over 1100 beats in a minutes time He broke Art Verdi's traditional grip record and has the wfd record of over 1200 beats in a minutes time nobody can do what Mike can do Mike plays great drums also A friend of mine went to one of his clinics

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ok, Frankw (or may i say Mike?s brother, or little troll?)
    Invite Mike Mangini to compete in the Olympic Games.

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ October 10, 2005 05:28 PM: Message edited by: Juan Expo ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I gotta go with the crikets!!

Thanks Steve for the cool wav. file. [img]wink.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by frankw:
    Mike Mangini is the best He has a bare handed record over 1100 beats in a minutes time He broke Art Verdi's traditional grip record and has the wfd record of over 1200 beats in a minutes time nobody can do what Mike can do Mike plays great drums also A friend of mine went to one of his clinics
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">What is this? Is this just naked trolling? This is a board for musicians. Why insult anyone's intelligence with this stuff?

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ October 11, 2005 10:45 AM: Message edited by: Thomas Rieck ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Mike Mangini's wife just had a baby
    I read this on the Pearl Forum
    Congrats Mike

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456