Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

i have just downloaded goldwave in order to put my mini disc recordings of my practicing onto my pc....that works great and i can mix and manipulate it etc. but when i go to save it in any format and in any quality size.....it takes like 20 mins to save!

is there no quicker way of doing this? the main aim is to send the songs by email to someone....is this also possible?

thanks.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Louie -

What are the specs of computer (CPU, RAM, OS, etc. etc.)? This can have a BIG impact on speed, even for saving files. To give you some idea:

My previous PC was a Pentium I MMX 200 MHz with 32 MB RAM on a 66 MHz bus, running Win95. Assuming the system didn't crash, a one-hour stereo CD-quality WAV file would require about 1.5 hours to save to disk.

My current PC is a 1.7 GHz P4, with 1.5 GB of PC133 RAM, and 7200 RPM, 8 MB buffer hard disk. The same WAV file will save in about 15 seconds on this machine.

What formats are you trying? WAV is probably the fastest to save, but takes up the most room on disk. An MP3 file is (usually) about one tenth the size of the corresponding WAV file, but it actually takes LONGER to save because it must encode the audio to MP3 format PLUS save the data to disk. The encoding process can account for the majority of the processing time.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

my pc is brand new.....3ghz, 512MB, 160GB....

the spec should be fine....it says its like 2Gb in size...thats ridiculous!!! maybe i should do something before recording...??? but it says its too big to save as a WAV file.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'm confused.

Isn't a Mini Disc digital? Their has to be a way to transfer the files via usb or something right?
    What sample rates heve you tried? 44.4Hz 16 bit in the norm. Can you save as MP3? WAV is pretty much the exact at what you have in your goldwave. MP3 compresses it some.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

ok goldwaves minimum save time in ANY format in ANY size/rate was 17 minutes....

so i downloaded an mp3 recoreder from www.download.com which does the job fine. BUT you can only use it for 10 days. does anyone know how i can do it longterm?

it converts a 5 min song into about 4mb....i started to email it....but it was taking ages! i then got win zip but that only compressed it to 3.96mb. is there a better way to send it in an email....i am on 56k?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Email's gonna be tough, especially if the person receiving it doesn't have enough room in their inbox (normal hotmail accounts have 2mb total). Don't bother zipping it either, because audio files are already compressed. It'd probably be best to host the file somewhere and have other people download it from there.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Louie, email me offlist, I will help you find some software.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Kurt R - as far as I know, Minidisc (I think it's ATRAC format) won't transfer directly to a computer using USB. I record some of my bands' shows using mine and have to use something like Wavelab or Cakewalk Sonar to record them to Wave format (a lot better than mp3) through the line in on my sound card.

Louie - you may be able to do this with Cakewalk Pyro (it's cheaper than Sonar). I'm sure there are a bunch of other programs to do this, but these are the ones that I'm familiar with.

Good luck!

Mike

Junior Hostboard Member William66's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: recording audio with goldwave

The evolution of data science is propelled by various crucial factors, including advanced algorithms, increased computing power, and growing data availability. I say you can get sticker roll and learn more information about the sticker roll. Munbyn's innovative technologies contribute significantly, to streamlining data processes. As we delve into machines, exploring simple machines and classes of levers, Munbyn's commitment to technological advancement aligns seamlessly with the principles driving progress in this field, fostering efficiency and precision.