Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: vinnies salary

cjbdrm

Yes, 10 grand a week is what I heard as well regarding the Sting gig. I even heard it paid that much when Omar was playing.

Cheers

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I heard Gadd was getting 50 k a show with Clapton on his latest tour... I wouldn't doubt it either considering Clapton's and Gadd's fame...

Inactive Member SeattleDrumKing's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

oh wow, I've never seen so many misinformed drummers before! HAHA!
    The moderater is on the mark. And in my case not only do I know the drummers personally, I myself was in that scene several years ago.
    Here are some facts that come from the mouths of tour managers and musicians on today's biggest gigs.
    No drummer makes 50g's a night. The artists themselves don't even make that.
    The very large pop acts like Britney and Janet play less than 5g's a week. Those type of pop acts have a tremendous overhead. My friend Lill John was making btw 2 and 3g's per week playing drums with Janet.
    Kieth and Vinnie both on Sting's gig make and have made between 5-7g's a week. Artists are not in the drum scene and don't rate players like drummers do. As much as we all love Vinnie, Sting has been quoted as saying the Keith is the best drummer that's ever held the chair. Vinnie would not be earning more on Stings gig than Manu, Omar or Keith. Sting is playing 1500-2000 seaters theaters in the USA. There's no way he can pay musicians that much unless he's dipping into his fortune. And he's not.
    Gadd was making 10g's with Clapton and Jim Keltner had been known to charge that much and even more.
    Reality check: If you think that these names players are doing sessions like crazy and don't consider being on the road for less than a certain amount; think again. This is the 21st century, and the age of the drum loop and amazing feeling programmed tracks. Believe me, they jump at touring gigs. Gigs that pay a lot less than you think. Faith Hill for example has an all star band. She's not doing as well as she did in the 90s, there's no way those guys are earning high figures. I'd say 5g's top. 8 for Dan Huff the M.D.
    Michael Baker with Whitney Houston was pulling in 3g's a week.
    Thems the facts folks. :-)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I wouldn't complain about 3-7g a week.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

SDK-
    Sting is playing 1500-2000 seaters theaters in the USA. There's no way he can pay musicians that much unless he's dipping into his fortune. And he's not.
    Gadd was making 10g's with Clapton and Jim Keltner had been known to charge that much and even more.
    Reality check: If you think that these names players are doing sessions like crazy and don't consider being on the road for less than a certain amount; think again. This is the 21st century, and the age of the drum loop and amazing feeling programmed tracks. Believe me, they jump at touring gigs
    QUOTE] [/QUOTE]

I am not sure if this was a typo but Sting is not playing 1500-2000 seat venues. I am going to see him in Atlanta at the Phillips Arena which holds almost 20,000 people. Again I don't know if it was a typo with one less zero there. Also, from what I understand, Vinnie only did the first few promo slots for sting's Sacred Love because he did not want to go on another extensive 1 1/2-2year run away from home.[

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question

I thought I heard from a reliable source that Vinnie was making about 20K a week(as did Dominic Miller and David Sancious.....even Branford) with Sting. I had heard that Gadd was making the same money with Paul Simon. I read that Vinnie was the first guy that Sting wanted for this current tour but he turned it down because he didn't want to be gone for 18 months again, which Vinnie had said that he had some serious mental adjustments to make when he came home from the last tour he did(which was 18 months long) with Sting.

I can't imagine that Manu could demand any where the amount Vinnie can. Manu isn't as in-demand as someone like Vinnie. I'm not saying this because I think he's better or not.......people want Vinnie more!!

The real fact is......we are ALL speculating on what these guys are making!!!!

I even heard that Vinnie and Sting had a incident where Vinnie had punched Sting in the face. Is this true?? Who knows for sure??

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yes, the Stinger plays both the huge arenas AND a few occasional smaller venues...but you're still gonna pay some $ for the tix either way...maybe even especially in the smaller, intimate, & more ritzy ones... [img]wink.gif[/img]

Thanks, SDK, for the "closest" head's up. [img]wink.gif[/img]

If you're a drummer & making huge bucks a night...your name might be something like "Tommy Lee"...back in the 80's. You DEF have to be a bonafide band member & not a sideman. Maybe with writing credits, & other business agreements relating to the band & its songs, too. Like Neil...he has to be one of the most successful drummers alive, financially, lucratively, & successfully speaking...WAY more than VC, VD, or DW. [img]eek.gif[/img]

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ August 26, 2004 12:28 AM: Message edited by: FuseU1 ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I heard that Keith Carlock, the drummer for sting presently, makes 10 grand a week. So you can imagine what Vinnie made back then.

-Ed

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I know a person that was drumming for Janet Jackson and he was getting $50,000 a show I think. He was also band leader.

Inactive Member SeattleDrumKing's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi, no that wasn't a typo, when Sting first began the tour support for hi last album with Carlock they were playing venues like the Beacon Theater in NYC, no bigger. Now I guess he's playing larger venues. I know for a fact that no one was making 20g's weekly. I know Vince personally and what you said about Manu is WACKED! Manu plays on just as many albums as Vince in Europe and come on, he's Peter Gabriels drummer. Vince wouldn't have even played with Sting if Manu didn't have prior commitments with Gabriel. Remember, that was Manu's gig. Vince came in later. Regardless, this is silly. Sting's guarentee for for one night show can't be more than $200,000, MEANING the promoter pays 200g's to Sting to play the gig. After that, the promoter pays his people and makes some profit. It cost's 15g's to rent a place that seats thousands. Think about this, one regular tour bus costs 15g's a week to rent with a driver. Sting has 3 of these. He also travels in his own lear jet while the band and crew take the buses. Add, sound, lights staging etc....Out of the 200g's, Sting has to pay all of these people. If every musician in the band 20g's a week at 4/5 shows a week, well you do the math. Sting wouldn't make any money. Do you think the drummer or guitarist are making 20g's a week? That's just bad math. It's not possible. Where's the $$ coming from?? If you think logically for a sec you'll see that this is purely impossible. Clapton, yeah, he has a much higher guarantee, he's a legend, and he doesn't tour yearly. Sting's last album hasn't even sold a million copies yet.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast