Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

wow so many different opinions. That's the beauty of music!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The reason this guy is great is because of his approach. Technically, if you listen to what's going on between his feet and hands, his independence is untouched right now.

Whoever said this guy doesn't groove is just plain wrong. Carlock would have not been on an entire "Dan" album if he couldn't groove. Carlock is one of the new guys that is taking groove drumming to another level- period.

His technique is just loose, which is good. I've sat down with this guy and he'll tell you himself he can barely fell the sticks in his hand. If you watch him live, the reason why he's so loose is because during the pocket stuff he isn't playing a lot of notes, in turn adding to the musicality of it all. When he digs in more watch his hands close up.

This guy is taking the torch and sounding great. One of the new cats that is actually sounding like an individual and not a Vinnie or Dennnis clone. Word!

Inactive Member lee_davies_drums_uk's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Oh Dear Oh Dear...

When as there ever been a "correct way" to grip the sticks.... [img]graemlins/hmmm.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I agree it is refreshing to hear someone who is truly a melange of various players and yet maintains his own unique approach and style. PT.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

What really made me love Keith?s playing was listen ( and watch ) the three video clips that appear in his site (I downloaded them from another site some time before). The video clips are with the Oz Noy Trio, with Will Lee.

I also saw him ( only one minute or two, 3 years ago) with the Blues Brothers on TV. I jumped to the TV remote control to turn the volume up...I didn?t know him yet, but I liked it very much.
    Bye.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I don't know if you guys have seen this before, but here's a link to some more Keith Carlock Vids...check em out:

http://www.dandom.com/carlock/

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yes. They are the same "Oz Noy Trio" clips than the ones in his personal site.
    Bye

Inactive Member Groovin in St Louis's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

gonnocaccas, ummm, Carlock is a great drummer, but let's not get carried away... His independence is untouched? What I saw Steve Hass play last night over a jazz ride pattern was independence. What Tain Watts plays in ridiculous as far as independance, and what about NEGRO. Man, I live in St Louis, and even I know that. you need to get out more. Yes he's got a great pocket, but there's nothing incredibly innovative about someone playing rock with a jazz drum sound.
    You don't need to get carried away because there are a few clueless folks putting him down. He's definitely amazing, but let's get real.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Untouched meaning not flawed. And "Tommy" I'm typing this message from a hotel room in Japan just before I go out to play the Blue Note in Osaka. It would be wise not to make statements like the above,"I need to get out more", while I'm on the other side of the planet and you're in St. Louis. The thing about this business is that you never want to piss the wrong person off, even if you disagree with them. In my opinion Tain is one of the greatest of my time, Horacio's got shitty technique and sometimes the clave stuff is a little contrived, but there is some stuff of his with Ed Simon that I really like.
    Does anyone like Marvin "Smitty" Smith? Especially his stuff with Steve Coleman. That there is some independence. Or even early Airto with Fourth World.
    Carlock is the new thing, man. It's just hip, nuff said.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I've seen Carlock w/ Krantz a few times '97-'98 and was blown away pretty much every time. He played with a pocket and was really creative with the time feels. His soloing was kind of all over the place w/ Tony licks and not really developing any one idea. I'm sure he's ten times better now. His stuff with Steely Dan is surprising, playing with a deep pocket and with alot of control.

I gotta say though for me and I'm not trying to pit them against each other, I like Zach Danziger in that band way more. What I like about Zach over Keith is his way of displacing rhythms and phrases. When Keith displaces he always keeps his riding hand going on the downbeats whereas Zach displaces the WHOLE damn thing. IMO that just propels the music ten fold and definitely gives it some unpredictability. When you're listeing it's like "what the hell just happened?" Just a couple of cents.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast