Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0084726/plotsummary - third paragraph. I knew that I wasn't imagining it! *g*

Gotta love IMDb. [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img]

<font color="#1175B5" size="1">[ May 21, 2007 08:48 AM: Message edited by: Twizzle ]</font>

Janie DP

I just wanted to post my thoughts and feelings about these two songs as they are atm.

This is my take on it, although I appreciate others may see it completely differently.

Who Would Have Thought

The music perfectly complements Darren's voice in this. There's a kind of haunting beauty to it and Richard's animation adds another dimension to the song.

Who would have thought the tiny courageous might refer to our own small victories, of having the courage to pursue our own dreams and fulfil our goals even though they may appear to be unimportant to others.

My favourite bit is when the origami crane/swan becomes two. An amazing piece expressing the notion of setting the soul free to pursue its own path through life. It's so emotive with all its hidden metaphors and images. I love the way Darren puts all these deep and wonderful meanings into his work.

The video starts with literally a blank sheet of paper and then folds itself into this beautiful origami crane. It illustrates the idea of taking apart everything you ever thought you knew about life, love and relationships and rebuilding it into something beautiful yet delicate that needs protection from the storms we go through in life.

We then see the beautiful white crane imprisoned in a cage and it takes a storm to set it free, as though we have to go through testing difficult times before we are ready to be set free to pursue our own path through life. Literally it seems as though the soul is being freed and in the process finds its soul mate. It's almost as if these two birds in flight represent Darren and Richard or their souls, soaring towards a new day with the sun dawning over the London skies.

There's a really triumphant feeling with the bells near the end which seem to signify the triumph of love and the relief of finding the 'one'. There's also this feeling of going against the mainstream, of finding your way through life even though it might not be going in the same direction as everybody else?s as seen by the backward flight of the back birds while the white bird moves forwards onwards and upwards.

Step Into The Light

I adore these animations because they so brilliantly capture what these songs are about much more so than conventional videos, they're so beautifully crafted. Here, the idea is that life (love) can be injected into an otherwise dead world. The message is one of hope, that a single leap of faith can breathe life into something that was thought not to exist and that given the right conditions life (love) can flourish and grow.

Referring to oneself as infantile in this context demeans onself as a person. It's as though Darren feels unworthy, that he considers himself to be less than he is. Perhaps he was treated in a patronising, condescending way that led him to feel like a child, that he felt as though this particular relationship was of an unstable equilibrium, that he was not treated as an equal. I am guessing that Step Into The Light was written in the aftermath of the break up of a relationship where all the pain and negative feelings associated with it are swirling around in his mind, leading him to feel not only worthless but isolated as well. Possibly he is simply turning his back on love as it appears to be so elusive at this point, although at the same time realising that he needs love to complete himself. I think he feels that has given away a part of his soul.

The lyrics are pretty devastating in the way he lays out his feelings. It's as though he has momentarily closed off his heart and mind to the possibility of ever finding love with the realisation that he has never really been in love with anyone before. Perhaps only with the idea of being of love? He is trying to find some solace in reaching out to the Universe in the hope of finding some real love out there.

Janie DP

Thanks Steen *g*

Has anyone noticed a continuity running through these animations? Did anyone spot the little crane again in the capsule in Step Into The Light? I thought it was also interesting that the flowers that appeared on the newly germinated planet were those of cherry blossom. That kind of links in with the crane as in japanese culture the a white crane has become a symbol for peace much like the white dove is in our western culture.

I found this on the net which seemed very interesting which explains the significance of this particular emblem in japanese culture. It tells the story of Sadako, a japanese girl and the aftermath and effects of the Hiroshima bomb after it was dropped at the end of World War 2. I thought it was interesting that Darren seems to have adopted this image as the promo logo for his new album.

http://library.thinkquest.org/27458/...mi/cranes.html

As World War II came to a close, newly inaugurated President Truman was faced with unleashing the United States?s powerful atomic bomb, codenamed "The Manhattan Project". He quickly opted to deploy the bomb for military action. On August 6, 1945, the bomb was dropped over Hiroshima, a military base city in Japan. Unbeknownst to Truman or any of the project?s members, the bomb?s horrific power would, in addition to killing many instantly, claim lives in later years as a result of radiation sickness and forms of cancer.

One of these victims to radiation was Sadako Sasaki. In 1955, she was diagnosed with Leukemia, a cancer of the blood. This disease became so common in Japan, that in was called the "A-bomb" disease. When the Hiroshima bomb was dropped, Sadako was living only one and a half miles from the epicenter. She was initially unharmed, but the effects appeared later. The first indication of Leukemia came after Sadako collapsed in a running race during her sixth grade year.

After she had become sick, Sadako?s best friend told her that the crane, which is a sacred bird in Japan, grants a wish to someone who folds one thousand paper cranes. After hearing this, Sadako immediately began folding cranes for her one wish: to get well again. Her health gradually deteriorated and Sadako began to wish instead for world peace, that children could live safe from the effects of wars. Sadly, she did not finish. When Sadako died in October of 1955, she had folded a total of 644 cranes. Her classmates folded the remaining cranes in time for her funeral.

Although she died without finishing, Sadako?s dream did not die. After her death, several of Sadako?s friends began raising money for the creation of a national peace monument. This monument in Sadako's name, was constructed three years later in Hiroshima?s National Peace Park. The statue depicts Sadako standing on top of a granite pedestal holding a golden crane in her arms. At the base of the statue a plaque reads, ?This is our cry, this is our prayer, peace in the world.? After the monument was erected, people from all over the world sent paper cranes to place on the monument for Peace Day on August 6. This tradition has continued and the paper crane has remained a symbol of peace for children around the world.

<font color="#1175B5"><font size="1">[ May 22, 2007 04:10 AM: Message edited by: Janie DP ]</font></font>

<font color="#1175B5" size="1">[ May 22, 2007 04:12 AM: Message edited by: Janie DP ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

As always Janie, I love reading your thoughts about Darren's work ^_^

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I've definitely noticed the japanese motif ^_^ And I found out the hard way that the origami featured in WWHT is not a normal crane per se, but is actually more like a swan and is perhaps not foldable by real means LOL I tried! The bird in the cage and the bird that flies away look different to me but that's the beauty of artistic license [img]smile.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

You girls posts sure make for some interesting reading. Thanks s much for your insight. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Can I just add that the 'crane' in the WWHT vid (especially when it's sort of unfolding) puts me in mind of the 'Serenity' ship in 'Firefly', but that's probably because I'm a) a bit of a geek and b) more than a bit shallow! [img]wink.gif[/img] LOL

Serenity

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Janie, I love your interpretation of the songs. I do miss doing song by song interpretations with you and other like minded people. I sometimes long for you in the Bon Jovi fanclub base lol. It's just that its hard to get a good lyrical discussion happening. Just as it was in DH world.

Kat

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123