Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The post about chat questions and references to Leonie etc made me want to ask this question here. I've been talking about this issue since the series finale of Dawson's Creek last week.

Should you marry your best friend? Can your soulmate and life partner be two different people?

In French there's a saying that goes something like "Suivez votre raison pas votre passion." Which loosely translates to "Follow/choose your reason not your passion."

I know who my soulmate is and logically I know he and I could never be more than friends. There's a part of my brain that won't even let me think it. And yet, when it comes right down to it, every guy in my life is measured against him.... I can't ever see myself with anyone else. Despite the fact that I'm not in love with him....

On Dawson's Creek Joey and Dawson were talking and one said to the other... "I love you but in a way that goes beyond lovers and friends." Which is kinda how I feel about my friend.

Okay enough sap for one day....

Any thoughts?

Hugs -- Chai

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

There's somebody I love very deeply, she's a very dear friend of mine, and only a while ago I realized that I might want her as more than a friend. I don't know if she knows this and I'm too afraid to tell her...it makes things more black and white in my case because although we're both very open minded, I know she is mainly heterosexual. I on the other hand like both men and women and tend to flip between them, which I'm perfectly OK with as it suits me [img]smile.gif[/img] But knowing she is straight makes it harder for me to tell her I think I feel more for her than just plain friendship.
    In the end, the conclusion is I cannot tell her - despite me wanting to be honest with her I think it would change our friendship drastically if I let her know. She's one of my soulmates and she's too special to me to jeapordize...She knows I am bisexual btw and is more than fine with it [img]smile.gif[/img]

But *bla* that was a useless ramble [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Onto het relationships, I think your sexual partner and best friend can be two different people, but it could be lovely if they are both rolled into one. On the other hand...with my other close friends I do love them dearly and I agree with that Joey and Dawson thing in that case [img]biggrin.gif[/img] *was trying to get back to the topic there* lol*

xxSam

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well i dont know. I havent really got a soulmate. i have one friend (who is a boy) who is there for me and understands me and says he is learning about me more each day. He hasnt been around for long but he has been helping me alot recently through some tough times and i am finding out more about him each day too. But then again i could never find myself going out with him let alone marrying him. in fact he is helping me make my crush jealous, which i think is great,seeing as he is finding it fun to watch my crush squirm

sorry went a bit O/T there [img]redface.gif[/img]
    [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/snail.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

On Dawson's Creek Joey and Dawson were talking and one said to the other... "I love you but in a way that goes beyond lovers and friends." Which is kinda how I feel about my friend.

I kind of feel like that about Simon, although sometimes he feels more like an older brother to me, but better, cos my own brothers were useless [img]smile.gif[/img]

I think it's true that you don't necessarily have to marry someone you feel is a soulmate either [img]smile.gif[/img]

Michelle

xx

DarrensPassion

I think you are incredibly lucky if you manage to find your soulmate who is also your life partner and maybe father to your children. I think maybe a lot of people marry people who make good fathers but who don't necessarily turn out to be the love of their life, if that makes any sense.

Janie xx

Twizzle

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Tempus sans ITC, Papyrus,Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#000000"><font size=2 face="Tempus sans ITC, Papyrus,Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by DarrensPassion:
    I think you are incredibly lucky if you manage to find your soulmate who is also your life partner and maybe father to your children. I think maybe a lot of people marry people who make good fathers but who don't necessarily turn out to be the love of their life, if that makes any sense.

Janie xx
    </font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, yep, yep!

I agree with that totally!

It's not like you're settling for 2nd best either - it's more like because it seemed like the right thing to do at that time. [img]smile.gif[/img]

<font color="#9966FF" size="1">[ May 24, 2003 11:45 AM: Message edited by: Twizzle ]</font>

DarrensPassion

And I don't think you make wrong or right decisions about these sorts of matters in life. You are presented with a set of circumstances and you make the only decision that you can at the time which may seem to be the best one.

Janie xx

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I think you can have all different sorts of relationships.

there is all differing kinds of love and friendship. I do think some go beyond just friends and lovers. Thats a great concept. I have and have had friends who I have loved deeply but are not in love with. BUt at the same time they touch my heart in ways I couldnt explain.

Kat

Lainbrain

I think your very lucky if you can find your soul mate.

Best friends, lovers, same sex, oppisite sex we have to be open to all possibilities.

Its so ture that love you but in a way that goes beyond lovers and friends.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for your insights ladies! [img]smile.gif[/img]

The strangest thing just happened. I finally saw some photos of the girl my best friend/soul mate is crushing on.... and... she and I look alike. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

How weird is that? Funny thing is my poor friend hasn't a clue. I've pointed it out to him in an email... I look forward to his denial.

*giggles*

The universe surely has a sense of humour.

Hugs -- Chai

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast