Thread: Should the olympic team be split?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I have to say that this year the Commonwealth Games have been fantastic. Lots of great sports seeing some amazing records being beaten and such great support.

Of course I am beaming at the thought of so many Scottish atheletes winning gold and hearing SCOTLAND THE BRAVE playing as the soltire is raised above the crowd. But the amount of discussion and pride that the kids at school have shown is enormous. The attendance at the school swimming pool and membership for the running team have soared. This never has happened when the Olympics were on, not even when we won the gold for Curling.

I know that we should all consider ourselves British and be a nation as one but to be honest we have to be proud of our own wee parts of the UK. You dont hear of the UNITED KINGDOM FOOTBALL TEAM do you? So why not scrap the UK Olympic team and make it ENGLAND, WALES, SCOTLAND AND NORTHERN IRELAND? The support would be so high for these teams and the kids of today would see that people from their area can make it big in sport. It is not enough to say BRITISH OLYMPIAN as I have heard the kids I teach say that they thought that it was only ENGLISH athletes that went to the Olympics.

Sad I know that there is not this BRITISH SPIRIT but when you have ENGLAND V SCOTLAND, NORTHERN IRELAND V WALES in many big sports on our TVs then you will get that effect. If we were all separate then we would also see which parts of the UK need to spend more to support our atheletes.

Am I alone in thinking this?

<font color="#003399" size="1">[ March 20, 2006 02:14 PM: Message edited by: LollyPop ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

By the way the medal table as of today is at
    SO WELL DONE TO ENGLAND TOO! FAB HAUL OF MEDALS

Gold Silver Bronze
    Australia 42 38 32
    England 18 21 15
    India 12 8 3
    Scotland 8 5 6
    Canada 7 16 14

<font color="#003399" size="1">[ March 20, 2006 02:21 PM: Message edited by: LollyPop ]</font>