Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When/How did you become a Runaways fan?

Inactive Member CDNRunaways Fan's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi Runaways Fans!!

I just discovered this message board! It is great!

When, or how, or why did you become a fan of The Runaways?? My story is as follows:

I became a fan of The Runaways very early in their career, basically since day one. I bought countless rock music magazines in my teens during the 70's...publications like Creem, Circus, Hit Parader, Crawdaddy, Rock Scene and a few more. I first heard of the band through one of these mags. Being male, I was interested in the band right away, although I hadn't heard their music. I decided I would buy their album as they sounded like a band I could enjoy.

I bought The Runaways 1st lp the first time I laid eyes on it, shortly after it was released. I remember...it was in a department store in Peabody, Massachusetts (I live in Canada) during the summer of 1976. I enjoyed it, and also purchased "Queens Of Noise" and "Live In Japan".

I thought it was "neat" that 4 members of the band were only one year older than myself. A teenage band was almost unheard of.

I was devastated when my fav. Runaway Cherie Currie, as well as Jackie Fox, left the band. I promised myself I wouldn't purchase anything that didn't feature the 5 original band members. To this day I still haven't heard the complete "Waitin' For The Night". Someday I will own it, and everything else they released.

I sold my lp's years ago, and I guess forgot about The Runaways, as well as dozens of other bands I listened to in the 70's. I recently renewed my interest in this wonderful band, and am glad I did!!

I would love to hear other members stories!

Thanks alot!

Steve

<font color="#ff00ff"><font size="1">[ June 25, 2005 01:47 AM: Message edited by: CDNRunaways Fan ]</font></font>

<font color="#ff00ff" size="1">[ June 25, 2005 01:59 AM: Message edited by: CDNRunaways Fan ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hello Steve, pp sm sign 270 To the Runaways board. Great story.
    It is getting really late out here in the bean field offtobed, I'm gonna head toward bed, But I will post tommorow fer sure.

Take care and welcome.

A tired ol' roG

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Wasted:
    Welcome to the board. You are very fortunate to have discovered the band while they were together. Did you ever see them live?

Unfortunately, I didn't discover The Runaways until 1986 when my then boyfriend / future husband told me to check out Joan Jett's first band. I've been a fan ever since.

Now you have the opportunity to get most of thier albums on CD thru the Cherry Red reissues. Time to rediscover the band again.

This is Cherry Red's website.
    http://www.cherryred.co.uk/cherryred...s/runaways.htm
    <font size="2" face="Arial,Helvetica">Hi,

Thanks for your post, and for welcoming me to the board.

No, I never got a chance to see the band live. I am not sure if they ever crossed the border into Canada, or not. Likely the closest they would have been to me, would have been somewhere in New England. All of my friends loved Rock (some even had a drivers license!!), but unfortunately none were into The Runaways.

Naturally, The Runaways were featured frequently in the music mags back then. I remember eagerly anticipating the release of their 2nd album, "Queens Of Noise". I loved it (and still do), and played it constantly through my high school years. I eventually bought the "Live In Japan" album, but for some reason it was very hard for me to find.

I was very disappointed when Cherie and Jackie left the band. To me, The Runaways weren't The Runaways any longer. I noticed "Waitin' For The Night" in the stores, but couldn't bring myself to purchase it. Cherie's solo work didn't seem to be available in my hometown---I guess I didn't think of placing a special order!

I was a fan of dozens of bands back then (more than I am now), and owned hundreds of albums. Regardless, I always had time for The Runaways. I sold my lp's in the 80's and seemed to lose interest in many bands from my youth, including The Runaways.

I recently rediscovered them, and purchased the first 3 on cd. I am very pleased I did. They sound just as good as they did 3 decades ago!

Anyway, that is my story. Sorry it is soo long.

Steve

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Like Steve mentioned, I also read all the rock magazines of the time, I remember reading about them In Rock Scene & Circus.

I don't remember the exact year, but after I graduated High School (class of 75,) I moved to the Chicago suburbs and got a job as a security guard. I remember getting off work one night (probably about 1:00 or 2:00 am) and headed home. I tuned in WLUP radio and was crusing when I heard this crazy song called Cherry Bomb. I waited patiently until the song was over, wanting to know who this band was. I'm sure this has happened to everyone before, The DJ skipped right over the song and went into the next set.

I decided to drive down to the station (which you could do back in those days) and asked about that band (plus maybe get a loop bumper sticker or two). I got down town and rang the buzzer and got to talk to the DJ (it's been a long time and my memory ain't the greatest) I think it was Skyy Daniels. We talked for a few minutes and I asked about that group that sang Cherry Bomb, He reached into the played box and pulled out the Runaways first LP (with the little promo sticker in the corner ) and he offered it to me and told me "You can have this LP, because we won't be playing it, something about not fitting in with their format.

I got that thing at home and put it on my AM-Fm 8-track Turntable stereo and played that sucker over & over & over. I recorded it onto 8-track for my car. After that I was hooked, and over the years added to my collection.

Over the years I have seen Cherie perform several times, I saw the mini reunion show at the Whiskey (I think that was 94), I have seen Lita several times in concert as well as getting to be an extra in her "Playing with Fire" Video. I have seen Joan perform once.
    I have been lucky enough (thanks to Cherie & Joan) to collect autographs of all 5 original Runaways.

These ladies all have a special place in my heart, Their music brings back happy memorys, every time I hear it.

roGeR

Senior Hostboard Member gus danger's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Arrow

Greetings CDNRunaways Fan! Welcome to The Runaways Message Board!

My story goes like this....I was paying no attention, whatsoever, to anything but my own band when The Runaways came along.
    Totally missed them but years later after having become a big Jodie Foster fan, I decided to rent some of her movies that I had never before seen.
    This was around 84 and lets just say when I saw Cherie in Foxes, I was hooked.
    I searched every avenue to find out more about her and was amazed to learn she had been in Joan Jett's first band! I mean WOW, how cool is that!!!
    The Runaways albums were already hard to find by then but I found them all and Cherie's solo albums through the Goldmine Collector's Magazine!
    I became a total sponge for knowledge about the Fab Five then but I had no idea how much I had left to learn until I got on-line in January 2001.

I am proud to say I'm a RunawayManiac now and forever more!
    Catch ya later!
    [img]graemlins/music.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img] [img]biggrin.gif[/img]
    Gus

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Welcome to the board. You are very fortunate to have discovered the band while they were together. Did you ever see them live?

Unfortunately, I didn't discover The Runaways until 1986 when my then boyfriend / future husband told me to check out Joan Jett's first band. I've been a fan ever since.

Now you have the opportunity to get most of thier albums on CD thru the Cherry Red reissues. Time to rediscover the band again.

This is Cherry Red's website.
    http://www.cherryred.co.uk/cherryred...s/runaways.htm

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Expand your collection of Runaways music with a few other albums that are now available on CD...

20th Century Masters: The Millennium Collection The Best of The Runaways
    http://www.cduniverse.com/productinf...cart=243762654

Waitin' For The Night [my personal favorite]
    http://www.cduniverse.com/productinf...55581362&bab=E

And Now... The Runaways
    http://www.cduniverse.com/productinf...55581362&bab=E

Born To Be Bad [very first version of the band w/ Micki Steele, Sandy West & Joan Jett]
    http://www.towerrecords.com/product.aspx?pfid=3140592

The Runaways did get to El Macambo in Toronto, but it was after Cherie left the band. I'm not sure about any other Canadian dates. If you're interested, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts are headed to Woodstock en Beauce on July 2nd. They usually include "Cherry Bomb" in their set.

http://www.woodstockenbeauce.qc.ca/program2005.htm
    http://www.woodstockenbeauce.qc.ca/

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for the posts everyone. Great stories!!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I use to listen to 102.7FM WNEW located in NYC The disc jockeys were Scott Munie ( Scotts O ) and Carol Miller they played CHERRY-BOMB for the first time and that was it for me. Favorite song of mine to this day. [img]graemlins/music.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I forgot to mention Flaming Schoolgirls. You definitely need to pick this one up because your favorite, Cherie, sings most of the songs.

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinf...56045719&bab=E

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast