Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: When/How did you become a Runaways fan?

Inactive Member CDNRunaways Fan's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Wasted:
    [QB]I forgot to mention Flaming Schoolgirls. You definitely need to pick this one up because your favorite, Cherie, sings most of the songs.

Thanks so much for mentioning it Wasted. The timing is comical...I just picked it up on vinyl yesterday. I never owned it when it was released in 1980. I will eventually get it on cd. I especially love the song "Hollywood Dream"!!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I've been a fan of The Runaways eversince I can remember, I guess you could say.

My aunt who was the same age as them (give or take a year or two) had their albums.

Much much later, just after "I Love Rock n' Roll" was released, I remember still checkin out their album covers but wouldn't dare play the records because I was afraid my aunt wouldn't want me to. By now, she was in college but still visited my grandparents often. I was still a wee kid at the time. Imagine a six/seven year old kid writing his name on his t-shirt under childish markings that read "The Runaways" haha ! I just wish someone had taken a picture of that.

I had forgotten about them after awhile, I guess. Until I came across Cherie's autobiography back in 1989. I'm still a fan !

Long live The Runaways !

Inactive Member hawkeye_pierce_mf's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Long story short:

Saw them in 79
    Heard them on the radio before that.

The rest are secrets!

LOL
    Hawk

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I got into The Runaways after a friend's old copy of Lita's Stilleto permanently removed me from my Mariah Carey phase (yes, now the secret's out, the 80s hair in junior high was actually Carey hair! AHHHHH!!!!). Being the info monkey that I am I read everything I could find on Lita, got into Joan, and went from there.

If you're looking for cds, I've got most of them in a nice easy spot at http://www.therunaways.com/newsite/merch.shtml

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I first heard them on the Detroit Rock City soundtrack. the song was School Days. I was blown away. I went out and bought Queens of Noise. They are the best band there ever was. I think it's obsurd that they're not considered up there with Sabbath,Zeppelin,and the Beatles. Listen to the albums. They're almost flawless. They're what a rock band should sound like. Vh1 and the Rock 'n Roll hall of fame need to get off their ***** and give them the props they deserve. Espeacially Sandy West. She's up there with Bonahm. What's she doing now? She's my idol and I don't even play drums. I just wish I was old enough to see them when they were around. (I was born in '74 so).

Senior Hostboard Member gus danger's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Arrow

Welcome to TheRunaways.Com message board huh98!

I'll bet, if The Runaways were to reunite, they would be considered WAY "up there." It would be magic!

I agree that the Hall of Fame should get with the program too.
    The Runaways fit the bill to a <font size="4">T</font> after all!!!

The world could sure use some of that Runaway Magic!
    [img]graemlins/music.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img] [img]biggrin.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/music.gif[/img]
    Gus

<font color="#ff00ff" size="1">[ August 07, 2005 03:33 PM: Message edited by: gus danger ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

18 years old (then)....5 hot chicks (it was the 80s) on the cover....didn't open the album for 3 months....took a listen and loved it. Also glad there's finally a place to FINALLY ADMIT that I did air guitar to Johnny Guitar....whew....now i can die happy.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

And by the way....a reunion would be great. Heck, I saw Joan Jett playing at a horse race track solo free for people paying a $5 admission, so I bet she's probably not doing much now. Hopefully, they've all grown up and can put petty differences behind them. They were NO different than any male band of the era....people got wasted....people felt too important....everyone wanted to be noticed. Well my chickies....we're all in our 40s so hopefully drugs and alcohol and smashing hotel rooms up are a thing of the past. How about rocking for 2 hrs and getting a good night's sleep for your next show......EVERYONE'S COMING BACK....THE TIME IS RIGHT....NOW!!!!!!!!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Cool

Back in the mid 80's I saw this Hot Blond Chick with a guitar on an album cover, so I bought it. Yeah, it was Lita Ford, but man could she play! I love hard rock and heavy metal so I have been a Lita fan ever since. It was years before I even knew she was in a band with Joan Jett and the wild blond from foxes (the great Cherie Currie). Now I have re-discovered some of Joan's solo material and become a Runaways fan.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

hey everybody.....guess i jumped ahead and put my story in a new thread (RELATING TO THE RUNAWAYS)... I didn't know yet that this one existed!!!!
    I won't write another "book" here but will say that having played drums and started singing since i was 10 i listened to and learned alot of good music(zeppelin, purple, hendrix etc...) but it wasn't til i was about15 or so that i got turned onto the Runaways.....SANDY WEST IS MY HERO!!! She kicks serious A**.......nuff said!!!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast