Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

In the early 80's, my college radio buddies and I planned to do a show called "Audiobiography" and the first artist that we planned on spotlighting was Runaways drummer Sandy West.

I had met Sandy through another friend and attended a few of her "showcases" for "The Sandy West Band" and felt that between the story of the Runaways and the hard work she was putting into her solo work that there was a good story to be told. We did a two plus hour session with her and her band, but like many other projects at that time, it never happened, for God knows what reason.

That band broke up, we all went on to various careers (two of us did end up in radio) and the cassettes of that interview sat in a box in my garage until last night.

With the death of Sandy West I decided to revisit the interview. I loved her honesty. I loved her drive. I loved the respect she gave the other musicians in her band, a band made up of a great lead guitar player named Greg Michaels who has since vanished from the music business. Even Google can't seem to locate him.

I hope at some point to edit that interview into a long form piece that will properly tell Sandy's story, but until then you can cut and past: http://rock50.com/Rock50digest25.mp3 into your browser to hear a portion of that interview about the birth, growth and death of the Runaways, mixed with three of their greatest hits.

Mike Stark

My Hometown - http://mikestark.net

"What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding" - NL
    "We learned more from a three minute record, than we ever learned in school." - BS
    "Patriotism requires debate" - TS

Added 10/29****Since I first posted this "mix", rock writer Dave Marsh played it on his Sirius radio show. I've "reposted" the "mix" to include Dave's intro and outro, which include his thoughts on the Runaways and Sandy.

<font color="#ffffff" size="1">[ October 29, 2006 11:00 PM: Message edited by: RockNSoul ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Mike,
    Thank you SO MUCH for posting that piece you have.
    I'm listening to her sweet voice as I type this.
    It's hard not to get emotional on hearing that.
    I will remember her always, always in my heart.
    Today, I was watching CNN, and news of Sandy's passing came on the screen, stating her involvement in "...the groundbreaking, all female rock band The Runaways in the 70's".
    Then, when I signed on to aol, the headline of her passing was a main story.
    It's so important that attention and respect be paid to one who has inspired so many.

<font color="#ffffff" size="1">[ October 24, 2006 08:53 PM: Message edited by: Jett Ford ]</font>

Senior Hostboard Member gus danger's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Arrow

Thanks a lot Mike. That is so cool!

Hi there Tom. Lousy circumstances for sure
    but it's nice to see you again.

Thanks for all those links Wasted.

Gus

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

aunt sandy was amazing and to spend time with her in her last few weeks was very tough but i know as do the rest of my family that this isnt a tragidey its a celebration and she will be in a better place with no more pain, the reality of her passing still hasnt hit...
    thnx for all the support the family and I greatly appreciate it.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

to foreverinmyheart,we hope you and your family can feel the love that radiates from us to you and yours in your time of mourning. your aunt Sandy to us was one of the greatest women that ever lived.most of us who never even met her or got to see her in concert are still in shock. we had no idea she wouldnt pull though.we had no idea she was in a hospice. we are so glad she had a large and loving family there to take care of her in her time of need.tho to my knowlege the runaways never played here i would loved to have seen her and met her in person.we are still hoping it's a bad dream we will wake up from .i hope you will allow the public to send flowers to her service so we can show one more time how loved she was. you have my deepest sympathy. tim henslee

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

These are longer more in depth obits...

Independent Online Edition Obituaries
    Sandy West Drummer with the Runaways
    http://news.independent.co.uk/people...cle1927110.ece

Arts news Guardian Unlimited Art
    Sandy West Drummer in teenage girl rock group who overcame the 'bimbo' tag to lasting effect
    http://arts.guardian.co.uk/news/obit...src=rss&feed=6

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Tom, I sent you a private message when you have time to check it.

Over the next several days I'll be working on Sandy's special tribute page, which will be a celebration more than anything else. If anyone has anything they want to donate to it (poems, thoughts, pictures you took, drawings, whatever), please let me know through The Runaways.com contact page.

Thanks!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I was relieved to see that Sandy was remembered in today's New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/25/ob...es/25west.html

God bless you guys, we all loved her so much. I'm so glad we have these forums to express our love, grief, and sorrow.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hello Gus and Everyone...

I agree, it is good to see your name and it is good to catch up on the postings here. I am still in shock. Having not been somewhat isolated, I did not realise that Sandy had been ill and for that I truly feel bad. I am living in Canada and while I do get to Los Angeles 5 or 6 times a year I really feel out of touch with things going on in the music industry.

I am leaving for a long weekend in New York today to see The Stones but I can assure you I will raise a glass (or two) to Sandy. When I return, I would like to be more involved here. The Runaways, were such an important part of my life and it is so good to be able to contribute here.

Again, Sandy will be missed, but from what I understand she is clearly in a better, far less painful place right now.

Cheers!

Tom

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Rocka Rolla Music Rocka Rolla The Stranger, Seattle's Only Newspaper
    [Scream] Queens of Noise
    http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/Content?oid=93590

Google News has an excellent news search. Here's where you can see all the articles from Australia, to Canada, to Turkey, the UK and across the United States

http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&lr...nG=Search+News

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast