Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Unhappy

I feel so angry sorry I just can't help it this seems so very unfair and unreal I am sure I am not the only one who feels this way, I also thank-you Mike for hearing that sweet voice again, when I first met Sandy the Runaways had already broken up, she was so cute she kept saying you really don't know who I am, even taking me and showing me one of their albums, I did get to meet Joan, we both were backstage at a few of Joan's shows for her I Love Rock n Roll tour, I am kicking myself for ever leaving LA as I had lost touch with her and wasn't able to find her now I understand why, oh God she is so so missed, my deepest sympathies to all of her family, I had the pleasure of meeting her Mom and some of her sisters they are amazing people I have no doubt she was surrounded by love at all times. Chris the collage is amazing, deepest thanks to you and everyone else we all have in common we love and miss her and we will keep her memory alive!

Love Bobbi

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

So sad to hear this news. I saw Sandy with The Runaways 4 times, starting in October 1976, and they were a great inspiration. At a time when female rock bands were almost unheard of, the power of Sandy's drumming must have been a crucial factor in the band convincing people that they could really deliver. In a way I feel like I knew her, because I don't think Sandy had any interest in projecting an image, she just acted naturally. And we know that no one would have loved to have seen the band play together again more than Sandy. She put her heart into the band, and she will remain in our hearts.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I feel like I am in such good company when I read all these posts. People who knew Sandy better than my pinhole through the cardboard view of being a fan since "Dawn: A Portrait..." in 1976 (when I discovered The Runaways) up til now. I'm weeping for Sandy and for myself, because I will never touch the amount of people that Sandy has, but I can work on that now.
    Love, ****

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I had the privilege of meeting Sandy when she was playing with her band in the mid-80's around the LA area. I have great memories of hanging out as she did sound checks. One time in particular sticks out in my mind. She was doing a show with Cherie, and they were done with the official sound check, but Sandy was still playing. She started playing the drum riff from Dead End Justice and no one except me seem to notice! She saw me and realized I got it, and her grin just got bigger as she played it.

She truly was an incredible drummer who never received the recognition she deserved. When I heard she had cancer, I was shocked, but knowing how strong she was, I was sure she would beat it -- and was sad to learn she could not.

My thoughts and prayers are with her family.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I never got the chance to meet Sandy, my loss. In the 70's Minneapolis was a very different world than L.A. I learned about the Runaways in Circus magazine. I was immediately struck by Sandy's beautiful eyes and smile. I was able to see Runaways play here twice, opening for the Ramones, the girl could PLAY! The second time she sang Wild Thing. Truly the high light of the set. My condolences to all that knew her well. Rock In Peace.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I do a monthly Internet radio show with Black Sabbath drummer Bill Ward, who today on the show had a few words to say about Sandy.

You can hear what Bill had to say here: http://mikestark.net/WardonWest.mp3

Mike Stark

My Hometown - http://mikestark.net

"What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding" - NL
    "We learned more from a three minute record, than we ever learned in school." - BS
    "Patriotism requires debate" - TS

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Just a quick note that, besides Bill Ward's short tribute to Sandy posted above, today, my friend, rock writer Dave Marsh played my previously posted mix on his Sirius radio show. I have "reposted" the mix to include his comments at: http://rock50.com/Rock50digest25.mp3

Senior Hostboard Member gus danger's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Arrow

SandyRollingStonereduced

Senior Hostboard Member gus danger's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Arrow

Previous experience tells me this link will only be good for a few days so I will post this article in it's entirety.

L.A.Weekly November1, 2006
    http://www.laweekly.com/music/music/...er-girl/14916/

Sandy West, the formidable drummer whose taut, brawny traps work propelled mid-’70s all-grrl phenom the Runaways to dizzying heights, died on Saturday, October 21, from lung cancer. West was only 47 years old, and it’s a **** shame, in part because West’s work was so grossly underrated by the many who reserved the Runaways little more than scorn. Plagued by the perpetual, misogynistic chicks-can’t-really-rock syndrome, the Runaways were an exceptional torpedo to that tired hulk, and West herself represented perhaps its most convincing refutation, because she didn’t do anything but just-f***ing-straight-ahead rock it.

A Southern California beach girl with a legitimate rock & roll fetish, she had begun playing Zeppelin and Sabbath covers at age 13 with an otherwise all-male garage band on the numbingly active teenage kegger circuit. A chance 1975 meeting with Strip Svengali Kim Fowley at the Rainbow changed all that; bear in mind that West was just 15, one of an army of local hip chicks who thought nothing of hitchhiking dozens of miles to dig in at Rodney’s English Disco or the Starwood (spots full of the quasi-Humbertish likes of Bingenheimer and Fowley, trolling for teen thrillers who might be able to jump-start a new scene). After Fowley led her to Joan Jett, the earliest incarnation of the Runaways was born. While Fowley was bent on exploiting a weird national obsession with redefining the teenage girl (a Zeitgeist that also involved Suzi Quatro, Tanya Tucker, Jodie Foster in Taxi Driver and Brooke Shields in Pretty Baby), Jett and West were downright serious bad-*** rockers. Once Lita Ford and Cherie Currie got into it, there was no stopping them.

Even as punk rock set out to murder rock & roll, the Runaways jolted it back into life, treading the mainstream’s shadowy borderline with gorgeous abandon and a set list bristling with undeniable killers: Cherry Bomb, I Love Playing With Fire, Getting Hot, You Drive Me Wild and dozens more. The band faced stacks of dismissive **** that tagged them an annoying novelty or, as Trouser Press’ Ira Robbins sniffed, a fake rebel band; but, as West told a Metal Maidens interviewer in 2000, The musicianship was so good and so powerful, I never worried about that. The Runaways refused to break stride, and began burning down houses around the world, gaining a rabid international following even as Fowley’s under-my-thumb methodology grew heavier and more debilitating. Through all the insults, postshow adolescent high-jinks and foul drama, West sat back on the riser and drove the **** thing with a muscular, metronomic brilliance worthy of the best male rocker. An exuberant and powerful drummer, Joan Jett said, so underrated, she was the caliber of John Bonham. While West did lead her own mid-’80s band for a time, her brief, almost incalculably influential work with the Runaways guarantees her well-deserved immortality.
    <font size="2" face="Arial,Helvetica">

<font color="#ffffff" size="1">[ November 04, 2006 12:57 AM: Message edited by: gus danger ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Please go to TheRunaways.com Front Page, where you'll find the link to Sandy's tribute page. I plan on doing some more work on it but wanted to get what I had up there. You can still send in thoughts and the like, so feel free using the contact form.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast