Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Exclamation

been a long time, so i thought i would come back in a big way. i am here to officially announce the creation of a trading tree for a quality recording from this month.

holy crap, you say, which recording is it?

SOCIAL DISTORTION 3/6/05
    Jannus Landing, St. Petersburg, FL

i created a quick website with the setlist, sample audio, and cd cover art. the page can be found at the link Trade Web Page hopefully the geocities people will not have a problem so don't use up too much bandwidth. let me know if anyone has any problems accessing the page.

there are a few rules that must be followed in order to participate.

1. Never sell this recording, trade only. if this recording should should show up on ebay or in a record shop for sale, the responsible parties will die a horrible death 1,000,000 times over.
    2. Never convert the recording to MP3 or other lossy format for trading!!!!!!!!!!!!
    3. Use EAC to rip and burn the CD to ensure accurate rips
    4. Please remember to enjoy this recording and share the music

if you can abide by those rules, please send a email message to sxdxtrader (at) yahoo.com or pm me with your email address and some additional information. i promise not to use the information to steal your pets or collectable social distortion memorabilia.

**IMPORTANT**, in the email, you must include your home address, state that you have a cd burner, and explicitly state that you agree to and promise to abide by the rules mentioned above. you must also read the following web page Why MP3 Is Unacceptable As A Trading Format

sorry to be a stickler, but those are the rules!!

i look forward to sharing this recording with all of you and will accept sign ups until March 31st. All official notifications will be handled in this thread.

please let me know if you have any questions.

share the music

theredgreenone (aka brian)

p.s. if anyone has any other 2004/2005 recordings that you would like to share with me, you can contact me for an immediate trade. no waiting for the tree to start and you get an early jump on enjoying this show.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

keep me posted! I was at this show and would die to have it recorded!!!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

ok, so i feel a little foolish. was poking around the forum and saw the other thread where the mp3 of the show can be downloaded.

but, if you enjoy the show that you downloaded in mp3 format, why not participate in the tree and get a copy of the original lossless recording. if only for trading, you should get a copy of this recording. see above link in original post about the evils of mp3 for trading [img]wink.gif[/img]

futhermore, this tree is still great for people who were not able to figure out bittorrent and flac files, who were locked out of the easytree account signup, or who have slow internet connections.

keep on sharing the music,

brian

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by theredgreenone:

2. Never convert the recording to MP3 or other lossy format for trading!!!!!!!!!!!!
    <font size="2" face="verdana, arial">I think your wrong in telling people not to convert the song to MP3. MP3 is the FUTURE. Its more convient, and only way you can keep your collection with you on your portable players,etc. (i.e. IPODS,etc). I like to have a copy of the original before MP3 for my collection, but then I'll use MP3 for my ipod,etc. And its more convienent to share mp3 to other users who have slow connections, who might otherwise, not ever have a chance to hear the recording. I'm sure there might be some slight audio quality you might loose if analyzed carefully, but to MY ears, and most everones ears. There is no noticable difference.

Inactive Member two drink minimum's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Python423:
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="verdana, arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="verdana, arial">Originally posted by theredgreenone:

<font size="2" face="verdana, arial">I think your wrong in telling people not to convert the song to MP3. MP3 is the FUTURE. Its more convient, and only way you can keep your collection with you on your portable players,etc. (i.e. IPODS,etc). I like to have a copy of the original before MP3 for my collection, but then I'll use MP3 for my ipod,etc. And its more convienent to share mp3 to other users who have slow connections, who might otherwise, not ever have a chance to hear the recording. I'm sure there might be some slight audio quality you might loose if analyzed carefully, but to MY ears, and most everones ears. There is no noticable difference.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="verdana, arial">I have an mp3 player and often use mp3's on my computer, but the loss is very obvious. The poster of this thread is correct.

Inactive Member A Real Musician's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Python423:
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="verdana, arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="verdana, arial">Originally posted by theredgreenone:

<font size="2" face="verdana, arial">I think your wrong in telling people not to convert the song to MP3. MP3 is the FUTURE. Its more convient, and only way you can keep your collection with you on your portable players,etc. (i.e. IPODS,etc). I like to have a copy of the original before MP3 for my collection, but then I'll use MP3 for my ipod,etc. And its more convienent to share mp3 to other users who have slow connections, who might otherwise, not ever have a chance to hear the recording. I'm sure there might be some slight audio quality you might loose if analyzed carefully, but to MY ears, and most everones ears. There is no noticable difference.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="verdana, arial">1) There is a noticeable difference, especially on headphones.
    2) This rule is generally accepted in every trading circle/ site there is.
    3) It says "for trading". If you want to make an mp3 copy for yourself, go right the fuck ahead. But, DO NOT TRADE anything that is currently mp3 or was at any time an mp3.
    4) If you don't want to follow the rules, don't trade.

It's that simple.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

as the others have said, i am mandating that mp3 files (or other lossy format) of the recording are not to be traded. you can use the recording as you see fit, the main idea is not to pollute/dilute the trading stream with an mp3 sourced disc.

the problem is that someone takes the mp3 files, burns an audio disc that is of lesser quality. that audio disc is then given to someone else who trades/gives copies to a few more people. maybe they turn it into mp3 with an even lower bit rate which strips more of the audio spectrum. before you know it, the recording has degraded quite a bit and no one enjoys it any more.

regardless, people need to be made aware of the problems with trading these files. please read the link above for more information or better yet, do some comparisons yourself.

i make mp3 files out of quite a few recordings for use in my ipod since i ride the train to work everyday, but i never, ever pass those along. if someone is interested in a show, i give them copies of the original recording.

this tree is an offering, for everyone who is interested, to get a copy of the show with all of the audio intact. i really am not trying to be an ass, just trying to educate people while sharing the music.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I agree with Brian on this one.

My biggest gripe with live shows getting turned into MP3s and back is that the songs never go back together properly. You always get a gap or a click or jump which is pretty annoying when listening to live shows. I know you can get that with normal audio shows too, but now-a-days it's only occassionally.

I know in the trees I've kicked off, some people have received shows in formats they could not or didn't know how to play.

Also most traders will not trade for MP3 sourced discs and one of the good things about trading trees is that once you guys get your copy of the show you can get onto one of the Trading websites (like www.tapetrader.com )and maybe trade that show for others and that way your collection starts to grow and you don't have to pay e-bay prices for shows.

Just my penny worth.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I emailed and PMed for trade. Sounds good to me!
    thanks

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Me too...emailed... would love to have!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast