Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

NEW YORK (Billboard) - Director Julien Temple, best known for the Sex Pistols films "The Great Rock 'n' Roll Swindle" and "The Filth & the Fury," is working on a new movie about the life and career of late Clash frontman Joe Strummer.

Via a slew of archival audio and video footage, interviews donated by journalists and recordings of Strummer's BBC Radio show, the Clash legend will essentially narrate the film.

Now in the very early stages of production, the project will also include new interviews with producer Rick Rubin, Clash guitarist Mick Jones and bassist Paul Simonon, as well as members of Strummer's pre- and post-Clash bands, the 101ers and the Mescaleros, respectively.

Temple was a longtime friend of Strummer, whom he first met during the 101ers years. He's making the film with the blessing of Strummer's widow, Lucinda.

"We didn't have a memorial concert or anything for him," Temple told Billboard.com. "So this is something that I wanted to do. Three years on, it's easier for me and all the people involved to deal with it actually."

Strummer died of a congenital heart defect in December 2002, just three months before the Clash was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. The following year, his third album with the Mescaleros was released.

Strummer's honesty is what makes him a great film subject, according to Temple. "He was very connected to other human beings, and he never lost that in the way some stars do," he said. "He believed that music could change people's lives, and he proved that in a way that most people don't get near. He touched all types of people all over the world, and that came from his honesty and his warmth."

North American journalists and filmmakers with audio or video footage of Strummer are being encouraged to contribute their recordings to the project. To do so, email Sam Dwyer at [email protected]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Awesome. I just finally bought Streetcore last week, and have been playing it constantly.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

That's a good album. Kind of took me some time to get into it at first, but it grew on me.

Inactive Member gotXyourXcancer's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

in mid-2004 I went and saw a private viewing of a Strummer documentary called "Lets Rock Again", directed by Dick Rude. Rude was a very good friend of Strummer's, and he follows him around the mescaleros tours. You get a really nice insight as to what kind of guy he really was. Very touching film. I don't know if its out on DVD yet...it was supposed to be. But look around for it.

"Lets Rock Again"