Whether you're writing a song, a book, or even a cover letter, it's hard work. You can have some formula or structure to writing something, but you'll personally know when something is crap or when something comes from inside.

Nothing wrong nor right with writing a happy song/album or an angry one. There's plenty of material you can write about that makes anyone angry... just open your eyes and look around you. whether you want to hide your head in the sand or do something about it. whether you want to hold yourself accountable.

it's my observation that mike's writing has matured. take for instance..."untitled" and "winners and losers". both songs about being in a difficult situation. one speaking as if their back's against the wall or in a gutter while the other is speaking from experience, maybe facing another difficult choice(s), yet the later one has matured, i.e. like a father speaking to a son or perhaps, i've been down that road before and seen what's it like...what am i going to do, now?

the music is also at a different level with different musicians. Enough said. Mike will always be the focal point whether it's Social D or Mike Ness.

But the writing will have to take a different direction from the past, because it would be a disservice to not use what you presently have. Again, back to writing...writing something relevant, writing something about now, writing with a whole new band, and still a lot of stuff to be angry about... it's hard. It may or may not come, but I definitely am looking forward to new, good material.