Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

***unofficial explanation for Maybellene***

Yep, Maybellene, you such a bad girl. Why aren't you on Social D's latest Greatest Hits release? You've certainly caused quite a stir here.

Short-Answer:
    Social D. /Time Bomb/Sony-BMG do not own the copyrights to Chuck Berry's "Maybellene." They are owned by Universal Music Group, formerly MCA.

Long-Answer:
    Charles Edward Anderson "Chuck" Berry penned "Maybellene", originally called "Ida Red", on May 21, 1955 under the Chess label. The legendary label's recordings were later acquired by MCA. MCA was later bought by Geffen who is a subdivision of Universal Music Group. So, this could explain why it doesn't appear on Time Bomb/Sony-BMG, because that would mean licensing issues. Apple i-tunes doesn't own any copyrights, but they do license the right to distribute. So, you see, Apple and MCA, in this case had a say on how "Maybellene" was going to be distributed.

Okay, people go raise hell when the new album comes out and not amongst yourselves. Good to see some punk attitude still lurking out there... please do think for yourselves. Truth always come out. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, so any official word or the truth is much appreciated in my book. And please stop any rumours...I'm not! [img]wink.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

lol... drink the koolaid mother f*ckrs. Good news=new song by social d to listen to, no matter how you get your hands on it.

Inactive Member SaintofCircumstance's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

hhhmmm i don't think so. the song has been covered and released on albums by marty robbins, the searchers, everly brothers, foghat, etc. ...and they weren't on any universal subsidiaries

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yeah that doesn't make sense. Why would they record the song if they didn't own the rights?

Inactive Member KissMe Deadly1988's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Geez, you can record a song without owning the rights! You can record any song by anyone as long as you pay royalties!!! [img]graemlins/whatever.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

All the band has to do is get permission to release the song just as they have done in the past many times for the other covers they have done!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

then why was under my thumb a hidden track on WLWHWT and didnt appear in the credits?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I think some of you get why I posted what I posted. For the others, just look at it as a reasonable explanation or theory based on facts. It doesn't give you anyone's motivation whatsoever. If you drew that conclusion, I'm sorry, that's your reasoning and not mine.

From my understanding, you can re-record music or give your spin on a song penned by someone else. What would be wrong is to re-record something and say it's yours. Anyway, if you re-record a song or want to get a song for a commercial, you go to the owner of said song and get permission. Pay any royalties, whatsoever, etc. Then the song gets someone's approval or not. The last time I checked, Universal/MCA owns the rights to Chess Master Recordings. So, you'd think Management/Social D. approached them, right? I do not have an answer on the pricing scheme with iTunes-US and iTunes-abroad. Someone else can post that if they know. As for putting "Maybellene" on the GH, would involve sharing revenue & costs with SONY-BMG, right? See the picture of my reasoning is that the pie is getting smaller with any revenues and the big label could also not be keen on sharing any costs with licensing fees. Is the Big Man involved, I think yes. I just don't know the extent and right now, could care less. It boils down to asking yourselves how it affects you.

Anyway, I posted what I posted for the very reason that I read a lot of disturbing comments posted against the band and one another. Take responsibility for YOUR actions. It's complete madness to get yourselves worked up over a single. I can relate though because I was and am somewhat still a collector. You collect things you're passionate about, but sometimes, you've got to ask yourselves , " how much is too far"? " How much uglier can something get? " Yes, I see some good people on the board and I dived in to try to wake some people up. Again, as the title states this isn't the official explanation and you may not get one.

Maybe I'll see some of you in the pit, after a show, whatever... and maybe not. Good luck!

Inactive Member KissMe Deadly1988's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

That explanation makes no sense. As long as royalties are paid on any cover, anyone can record it.