Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I agree - "Far Behind" is a great Social D. song. I think some of us are over-analyzing this song way too much. It still has the trademark Social D. style to it, but I agree about the other two newer songers having a upper-hand on this one. Esp. "A Diamond in the Rough!" That song smokes and shows off the band and their chemistry. "Far Behind" does too as well, but in a different way....

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Great, you don't like the song. Why the big post?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

As I alluded to in another thread, sometimes bands progress and evolve. Sometimes fans don't like it. Give it some time and see if the new songs like Far Behind grow on you.

You know, very few bands actually play exactly the same for 2+ decades. That would get pretty boring.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Why the big post? its not that big if you can type fast. (or if you can read beyond a 3rd grade level)

But hey its a good topic to debate since their aint much else going on.

If you have something to offer then offer it up instead of writing an incredibly short and useless sentence.

Oh, BTW....the version i've been listening to was on serious radio and hadnt heard the song anywhere else untill i saw it on You tube. It sounds a whole lot better live on you tube than it does on Serious. Much more SD style. Hopefully the final studio version is more like the live one.

<font color="#FFFF00"><font size="1">[ May 25, 2007 07:14 PM: Message edited by: raptorschild ]</font></font>

<font color="#FFFF00" size="1">[ May 25, 2007 07:15 PM: Message edited by: raptorschild ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

man, I can't believe some of the knee-jerk reactions people are having to this song just because, "omg it doesn't sound exactly like Social D!!"

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I dont think I have ever been critical about a band's particular style, technique, song structure, tone, or influences.

All I have ever cared about is if it sounds cool and it rocks and that's all that matters to me. Now, since Social D is my favorite band, they will always sound equally as cool no matter what they do. Yes, there are a few songs by them that I like better than others, but it's only because of how I feel when I listen to it, not based on song structure, simplicity of the leads, production, or the tone. Some songs just dont move me like others. "far Behind" is a great song and catchy is exactly where its at. There are very few bands today that I will listen to and I dont think Social D is losing it. They are getting better and better in my opinion.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Listen, I don't care how fast you type. I have a college degree, so my reading level is higher than the 3rd grade. I asked you a qustion and you chose to insult me, then the board by saying "there ain't much else going on here".

spomaxman

if you wanna try and break down a song all the way to the point of where you are going to critique where it is appropriate to palm mute a power chord, please for the love of God, go listen to some other type of music. if you wanna get that technical about punk rock (or whatever you want to define social distortion as nowadays), then you obviously have no concept of what punk rock, or any good music for that matter, is really about. good music and great songs are about the feeling and the message they convey... not where the palm muted power chords exist. if mike ness and social distortion really cared about those things, they wouldn't play just about every song in the I-IV-V chord progression, now would they? it's about what feels right to mike ness, not you. i recall an article some years back where the interviewer asked mike about ball and chain and how so many people can relate to that song... mike's answer was that he didn't write it for other people to relate to. shocking, but true... as an artist you're not writing for your audience... you're writing for you. if someone happens to like it, great. if not, who cares... because that's what art is. you wanna analyze music that deeple?... go take a music appreciation class and study some classical music where their intent really is to make wonderful, technically correct music. that's not social distortion, that's not punk rock.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by raptorschild:

The first lead after the intro is garbage. Its got a funny high pitch sound like something out of a avril lavign riff. It is NOT typical SD the way its laid out.

Then theres a bridge bout 2/3 of the way through the song where they palm mute their chords like these sum 41 type "pop punk" bands do.
    <font size="2" face="verdana, arial">i don't listen to avril alvigne and pop-punk, so i happen to have no idea what the hell they sound like. don't know what you're rambling on, i like the song period

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Imagine a little weasle fuck like me walking up to Johann Sebastian Bach in Leipzig Germany in 1730 and saying "Hey man, I really grew up listening to your Cantanas, but you are slipping. Your music lacks the variety and the feeling of your earlier works. Dont you know that one of the specific rules of counterpoint is Leaps larger than a third should be immediately preceded (if applicable) and followed by motion in the opposite direction; in short, step in the opposite direction after a leap." What da fuck Bach?

<font color="#FFFF00" size="1">[ May 26, 2007 01:34 PM: Message edited by: wolfpits ]</font>

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast