Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Christianity is going to get OWNED!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I was raised a "Pentecostal", and like I said before hated it and rebelled to no end. But for years my father was gung ho in this "religion" and was even a deacon. He did what the church told him for years and forced it on us, even if he didn't necessarily agree. A few years ago he left the church, he finally realized it was wrong and couldn't do it any longer. All the finger pointing and this religion is right and yours is wrong, and judging "backsliders" and how it's become a business and lost the real purpose and meaning. Anyways to make a very long story short, he's now a minister but doesn't really profess a denomination. He has a friend who kind of is in on it with him and he was or is Amish, but also didn't agree to everything that he was taught. So together they kind of have church but for anyone of any denomination, no one saying you can or can't do this or that. Just people getting together and worshiping and trying to make a better community and just trying to be better people. I live a few thousand miles from my family so I don't know all the details, but I can tell you he's more content and happy than he's ever been in his life. I my self am not a religious person or really even very spiritual. But if I ever chose to be I would do it, in me, for me and would not choose a church or religion. My backyard would be my sanctuary, not a million dollar structure with gold plated trim.Where they do credit checks before being accepted as a paritioner and than expect 10-20% of my wages a month.....I've heard enough of religion for one day.....Later

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

" I wish people would just be good to each other because it's the right thing to do, not because they're afraid of going to hell or of some punishment"

Well put JWB, and thats really all you can do and all I try to do in my life, it really is that simple.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well as long as were on the topic, my grandma is crazy religious. I really mean crazy. You cant talk to the chick without her going off on it the entire conversation. But thats not the worst, my grandpa died bout 6 years ago and since then she has convinced herself that she can talk to spirits. And the scary part they talk back (she says). I hardly ever go out and ee her, i feel like shit about it but man shes fukin hardcore bout it. I dont get easily embarresed in public (for godsakes i usually have multi colord hair and whatnot) but she gets into a crowded resteraunt and proceeds to chant and talk to the spiritswhile onlookers crack up. It wouldnt bother me so much if she was a caring human being. The chick is loaded and its all goin to fukin stupid ass religious groups that bleed money from old people.

Oh well, what do you guys think about it? Do you believe in psychics and other "phenomonons"? Personally i think some people might be gifted, but all of them as a lot are fukin crackpots.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I thought this thread was headed for a lot petty bickering but has brought some really good points. I was raised Catholic including Catholic school through sixth grade. That was when my parents divorced and my father no longer wanted to pay for school. This was the first inkling of the hypocracy associated with the church (at least in my eyes.) I've always felt like people in my community could do whatever they wanted during the week but if they were in church on sunday they wouldn't go to hell. This over time steered me towards the Eastern philosophies (good point Recovering Punker.) I believe in a god, higher power, whatever you want to label it. But in Tao it's a way to live your life, not all this genuflectng and kneeling. Also the more I studied these philosophies the more I saw stories that seemed "borrowed" from Eastern philosophies by Western religions. There were some folks on this board who laughed at what Native Americans worshipped. But the idols they chose to worship are much more tangible in my thinking. They are also credited with being true Taoists without having a clue of what Tao is. Just my two cents worth.

Inactive Member Jesus was BROWN's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I have to admit that's it's fascinating hearing all you guys points of view on this topic, keep it coming. That is all.

Jesus(This is a smarter message board than I thought.....)

[img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img]

Inactive Member A Real Musician's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Jesus was BROWN:
    I wish people would just be good to each other because it's the right thing to do, not because they're afraid of going to hell or of some punishment. I don't have an answer for why we're here, personally I think we're too limited as a species to know for sure at this point. I do believe in science, and I do believe in evolution. I realize it's very possible I'm wrong, but that also means I'm not so arrogant as to say I'm right and everyone else is wrong. Could there be a God? Of course their could be, but then again, do you think humans could possibly comprehend such a being? One of the major religions could be right, I have no idea, but I do know that doesn't entitle you to be an asshole. My point isn't that I hate the idea of religion, it's that I hate what it has become. It is a big money business where 99% of the people involved do not follow even the basic tenants of their religion. If people acted like Jesus, that'd be one thing, but we all know this isn't the way it is. Religion has gotten lost over the years, too much money and power is to blame. Perhaps someday it will come full circle, but I'm just not confident enough in people to believe it will be anytime soon. Again, I just want to make it clear that I don't hate religion because of what it is, I hate it for what it has become, and that's to blame on the people and money involved. That is all.

Jesus(Religion = Corrupt Corporation)

<font size="2" face="verdana, arial">Thats was put really well. I, unlike you, believe there is a God. This is based partly on faith and partly on logic. However, I can't be positive there is a God. And if there is, which religion is he? Or does he have a religion at all? The problem with religion is not the beliefs themselves, but that everyone involved feels the need to use religion to screw people over. Isn't that the exact opposite of what they are teaching? The Catholic priests using their position to rape little boys for example. Or the sale of indulgences. That is why I am not religious.

I guess my point is that religion and belief in God are two different things. Organized religion in itself is very bad, because it tells people how to think, what not to drink, what not to eat etc. This has nothing to do with being a good person. Many people have probably been turned off to the idea of God because of the corruption of religion.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

My wife wants me to go to that John Edwards show. "Crossing over with John Edwards", or whatever. She thinks he can make a believer out of me, but if you got me on that show I'd ruin his career. He'd be out of a job. But I think they probally do some kind of a background check on everyone in that show or at least some in the show. I don't buy it for a second. Some might be gifted but the only way I'd be convinced is seeing it for myself on my terms. I'm not a very faithful man and need to see it to believe it for the most part. I mean it's rediculous sometimes, "I'm sensing a name with a T.....ummm...", someone from the audience, "it's me it's me I once had a dog named Trixie". I don't buy it!!!
    d [img]graemlins/thumbs_down.gif[/img]

Inactive Member two drink minimum's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Why do you hate John Edwards?

Inactive Member two drink minimum's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Oh my bad, I though you were refering to Senator Edwards. I like him. Tell me about this other Edwards.

press edwards c small

Senator John Edwards=non pansy

Inactive Member Jesus was BROWN's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The other John Edwards is a dude who has a tv show and claims to "talk" to spirits/dead people. He's a really bullshit con-artist, and we can only hope that he dies quickly and painfully. That is all.

Jesus(John Edwards = Giant Ass Clown Fuckhead)