Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Since the billboard charts move to following SoundScan data in 1991 you do not have to sell 500k records to get a 'Top 40' Album like in the the old days. I was just reading last weeks chart overview,(it's here) and noticed this towards the end of the story:

"Feels Like Home," Norah Jones moves from No. 59 to 38 on a 38 percent sales gain to 23,500 copies"

You need to move 23k unit to get to 38, so something like moving 20k units gets you to 40.

Can Sex, Love and Rock 'N' Roll move 20k units this week and crack the Top 40?

One thing that could hurt is a lot of indie stores don't report to sound scan, and since they are the stores with the free dvd's, this could keep the soundscan number low.

It is the 39th best selling item on Amazon, so that could help.

So, Will it break the Top 40?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I dunno if it will break the billboard top 40, but its at #1 in my chart [img]smile.gif[/img]

Inactive Member kingishalfundressed's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by 420greg:
    Since the billboard charts move to following SoundScan data in 1991 you do not have to sell 500k records to get a 'Top 40' Album like in the the old days. I was just reading last weeks chart overview,(it's here) and noticed this towards the end of the story:

"Feels Like Home," Norah Jones moves from No. 59 to 38 on a 38 percent sales gain to 23,500 copies"

You need to move 23k unit to get to 38, so something like moving 20k units gets you to 40.

Can Sex, Love and Rock 'N' Roll move 20k units this week and crack the Top 40?

One thing that could hurt is a lot of indie stores don't report to sound scan, and since they are the stores with the free dvd's, this could keep the soundscan number low.

It is the 39th best selling item on Amazon, so that could help.

So, Will it break the Top 40?
    <font size="2" face="verdana, arial">That isn't really relative. It depends entirely on how many records it sells in one week. It just goes by who sells the most records. If they sell 20k, it'll definitely chart. Are they going to have a number one record? Not friggin' likely, but that's alright.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

No, some indie stores have Soundscan. As a matter of fact, if someone buys a cd at a certain indie store it will sometimes count as 8 scans (or sales)......this happens in some locations just to make up for certain locations that don't have Soundscan. The new album should scan about 25K copies in the first week. That's my guess. It could do more but I don't think it will move more than 50K units in the first week. It should be a top 40 release. Not that it's that big of a deal. Just buy it and enjoy it. The new album is pretty great.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

This was just posted at billboard.com:

The onslaught of new entries continues through the top 50 of The Billboard 200, with Shawnna's "Worth Tha Weight" (Def Jam, No. 22), Social Distortion's "Sex, Love and Rock'n'Roll" (Time Bomb, No. 31), Juanes' "Mi Sangre" (Universal Latino, No. 33), Roadrunner's "MTV2 Headbangers Ball, Vol. 2" (No. 43), Barry Manilow's "Scores: Songs From Copacabana and Harmony" (Concord, No. 47), Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin and Sammy Davis Jr.'s "The Rat Pack: Boys Night Out" (Capitol, No. 49) and Jesse McCartney's "Beautiful Soul" (Hollywood, No. 50).

Looks like it sold between 20k and 25k units.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I really like the album and I feel it has enough "pop freindly" tunes to have some type of cross over to the power pop tiny bopper punk wanna be market that should allow the album to break the top 40. I hope it does sell and the boy's in the band can make some coin.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thursday 10/7 L.A Times Calendar section. SoCal sales #9, national sales #31