Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hey Hass,
    What's up man...I'm abig fan...saw you play in Toronto with Scofield...some sick playing indeed. Looking forward to hanging out here alot more.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks cats!!

Feel free to post any questions or comments. I havent had much time to be on here, but I'll do my best.

This board seems to be harder to get off the ground than my last one. At least it's harder to spam. Spam completely ruined my last Groove House.

Keep Swingin!!!!!!!!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

It's amazing how quite it is in here. I have seen you play a few times, and you really are something. One of my recent favorites really.

You are one of the only players I know that lives in both New York and Los Angeles. How would you compare the 2 places? I'm looking for a change of city and I'm pursuing music as a career.

Steve, your work on Mad Six, Vibrate, Morning Glory, and live with John Scofield is just top notch. Your feel is as good as the feel kings of our time, and your phrasing and swing are just brilliant.

Thanks,
    Timothy

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yo Funkster

I see you're still here. I rarely come in here, and I must apologize. I have my site, my "myspace" and that's really all I can keep up with. Although if people start coming in, I will make questions a priority. You can also email Bill Miller at Modern Drummer with questions about me.

Thanks for all the compliments. I'm glad you enjoy my work.

I came out to Los Angeles because my girlfriend lives here. I have always wanted to come out here and feel it out. This was the perfect chance.

LA and NYC
    LA:
    Upsides:
    I like living here. Life is easier on a day to day basis. Less crowds, less garbage on the ground, more sunshine. Better weather all around. Santa Barbara which is called the American riviera is just 85mins away by car. Believe it or not, LA is also more affordable than NYC, even with a car.
    The rock and singersongwriter scene is huge in LA. I love playing contemporary backbeat music like rock/pop/r+b/funk and folk. Many of the greatest producers and musicians in those genre's live and work in LA.

Keep in mind that I love living a full life and enjoying myself. I'm not a workaholic and I don't practice very much. I love cooking, movies, and being at home as much as possible. I'm a wine and cigar lover. So living in LA suits me. California suits me in that way. It's a bit slower than New York. You can also buy booze and wine at the market! YES!

Downsides:
    There is no real jazz scene. There is a mishmosh of great even legendary fusion players, but only about 17 musicians that I know of(and about 6 or 7 drummers) that have a traditional pre-bop and be-bop foundation in their playing while being able to expand and explore in a modern jazz setting.
    One would think that you can turn that into the big fish scenario, but I find myself not taking jazz gigs in LA unless they are with the handful of cats that can really play the music well. Every now and again, I'll take something just to play. I try to get my fill of real swingin and creative jazz gigs when I'm in NYC doing sessions.

The driving scene. I have driven all over the world, many times. LA has the worst drivers in the world. People who don't know the laws or just plain don't care. If you drive in LA you're endangering yourself everytime you get into your car. I'm not kidding. It's that bad.

Smog in the valley. I'm sure it's there, people say it's bad. I don't mind.

Earthquakes. They have them here. I haven't been in one and hope to never be in one. In fact is I hope no place in the world ever has one again. But that's not the reality. So we deal with that.

Last but not least. I don't know if you like great food, but that is also not that easy find, unless you cook often. I love cooking, but don't cook everyday due to my schedule. Although I have some places I frequent in LA that rival NYC, it's just not the same, especially with Greek and Italian food. There is no good pizza by the slice in LA and there are only 2 places you can get real Italian pizza.

NYC:

Upsides:
    Probably the best city in the world for the arts. All of the arts. Anything you want is happening nightly in NYC including an amazing music secene. If you can play your butt off, you'll be working every night in NYC within 4 months. There's a lot going on there. Just remember it's about making music not playing the drums.

The best restaurants and clubs the world has to offer.
    The energy in this town is amazing. It's a hustle. I'm from a town about 40mins out of Manhattan. So I have lived my whole life in NY other than going to school in LA and Boston.

Downsides:
    Cost of living. If you want to live in a decent apt in Manhattan, be prepared to pay upwards of $3000 per month. If you want to live in a decent apt in Brooklyn or Queens that's within a 15min train ride into Manhattan, think $2000 and up.
    By decent I mean, nice, clean, med-large, close to the train, and a safe location.

the weather. be ready for various stages of winter almost 6 months (late oct-march) out of the year, and rain the other 3 months, along with schitzo weather , meaning nice one day, freezing the next day, and maybe 2 months of summer weather if you're lucky. But wait, it's VERY HUMID. Believe it or not, the weather didn't bother me very much, but I think it's because I was raised with it.
    There is just as much traffic in NYC as LA, don't kid yourself. Don't forget, we're drummers. Getting to gigs in NYC is always a challange. Carrying cymbals through the snow and down into the subway is a total drag. For the past 4 years, I have been using cartage in NYC. It's worth it.

Cleanliness. NYC is an extremely filthy city for those who don't live in the million dollar areas. The funk you smell sometimes is just awful.

That's all I can think of. I think I gave you an honest description of the 2 cities I love and live in.
    Just remember, it's never perfect. I grew to love NYC's imperfections. I'm learning to accept the ones in LA after one year as well.

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ August 30, 2007 10:10 PM: Message edited by: STEVEHASS ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

What's up Steve!

Just wanted to say that was a very useful response about NYC and LA. My wife and I are thinking about a possible move/2nd home as she's mostly working on the west coast these days.

Take care, and I'll hopefully catch up with you sometime soon. Email me your address so I can send you those bootlegs...

Roy

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Good to see you have settled in the best kept secret for years in the Los Angeles area. There's a reason why Desi Arnez and Lucille Ball settled here in the 50's. It's because "The Valley" is a place like no other in the world. Even our economy (just the San Fernando Valleys) is the 14th largest in THE WORLD!! No wonder why Los Angeles fought us so hard from susceeding the last election.

As a Valley native, were glad you decided to relocate here man. You'll dig it even more once you settle in.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for the thorough answer Steve. You're not only one of my favorite players, you're a very honest and nice guy.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Steve!

I am back! I found you!

So glad you are up, again!

You are too cool!

[img]graemlins/smarty.gif[/img]

I'll be back, soon.

SO good to see you.

[img]biggrin.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yoooo Bro!

Great to see you in here again. I hope you and yours are great.

Keep in touch!

HASS:-)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hey Steve!!!

How are you these days?

2007 was a great year for me.

Are you attending Winter NAMM?

Keep on slammin',
    Go-Go Ray

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ November 27, 2007 07:32 AM: Message edited by: Drum Counselor ]</font>

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast