Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

hey steve,

hope your tours with Scofield and Mahattan are going great. Just a question about bass drum technique and fitness. i've latley been prcticing your bass drum exercise (1 through 8 and it's really a cool exercise) and other bas drum building exercises. My question is i seem to be experiencing pain after most gigs in my calf muscle. i've been playing profesionally for 10 years and can't figure out how stop getting the pain. i have practiced slowly to build up the strength and the muscles needed to play bass drum, but still pain. i think my main problem is doing 2 fast 16th notes together, like in the Michael jackson's "rock with you". do you have any thoughts on fitness exercises other than playing the bass drum, what foods to eat in regards to developing muscles in calfs and any other ideas about the topic.

I do use both the heel up and heel down technique, depending on the situation.

Also do you feel that micing up a kit and hearing yourself especially the bass drum can hinder your playing (if you can't hear the bass drum) or if you can (you don't have to play as hard)?

cvitan

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hey man!

Thanks for writing. Sorry to hear about the pain in your calf. It is only your right foot(or BD foot)? I can't really help there. I myself have experienced some joint pain in my knees on very long gigs. I find that a massage once or twice a month, some regular exercise and warming up have helped those disappear for me. I suggest you ask your doctor about it.

I hardly ever have ANY drums in my monitor. I like it as acoustic as possible. I like a nice mix of everything (except bass and drums which I can hear acoustically) at a low volume. On the Scofield gig I was set up far from the organ and guitar amp, I had an unusual amount of those 2 instruments because I could barely hear them acoustically. What you like in your monitor is personal taste. it's there to help you. I can't say having bass drum in there would negatively affect you, if that makes you comfy. So it's really up to you and what will help you play better.

Thanks for writing!
    :-)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

hey steve thanks for the reply,

it is my right foot (bass drum leg) that is having the problems. thanks for the tips, and good luck for the rest of the scofield tour,

By the way, i've been listening to Ravi Coltranes Mad 6 album, and i've noticed that your playing sounds very much like Tony williams. Especially on track 2 or 3. i can't remenber which one exactly right now (cos i listen to it in the car) but it's great playing non the less. I love it , thanks for the music.

Cvitan Barac

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hey Steve,
    I remember a post on your old forum about someone inquiring about your approach to learning jazz, I read that at one point you were a complete jazz head I was just curious to see if you did the whole book thing, or mainly transcribing stuff, or just listening a lot. I'm aware, sure, do all of those things, but I was just wondering what specifically (as specific as someone of your schedule could be of course) a priority would have been in terms of your development. Oh and, I have to say, you are THE MAN of drums, your within my top 3 of "So who do you like at the moment?" players [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Wow bro, that's very sweet of you. Thanks a lot!

Great question. Aside from indepenence exercises, I never worked on jazz via any books. I always listened and did "some" transcribing. Not too much. Mostly listening.

Lately I'm really into Ricky Fatar, Steve Jordan and Bill Stewart. John Mayer's Continuum has been in my car's CD player for weeks. I love Jordan's production and his drumming. His groove is as deep as any legendary funk or R+B drummer we know of. I think so anyway.

Thanks again man!!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Steve,

Man, thank you so much for the reply, I hope one day you travel to Australia so I can catch your playing in person! Maybe even to say hi (or even a lesson [img]biggrin.gif[/img] ). Again, thanks for the answer!

Luke.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Steve, how are you man?!
    I would like to hear you talking about timing... How to develop an strong inner clock and the ability to play with great feel with a click track!
    Thanks and keep rocking the scene!!! [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hey man! Look out for an upcoming modern drummer article of mine. I'm writing it right now, and it talks about some of the concepts I use to strengthen my time.
    Keep grooving down there. I love Chakarera!
    HASS:-)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

On pain in the calf, check
    the angle of the leg (thigh to
    the calf). Experiment with this,
    even changing the height of your
    seat (90-degrees or greater).

Check the angle of your footboard,
    too. Maybe it is too steep.

That pain is no good.

I wish you the very best.

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ October 03, 2007 06:20 PM: Message edited by: peter c ]</font>