Page 1 of 30 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: The Listening Booth - stuff from all of us.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Here we go, maybe we can get this to the "sticky" spot and we call all use this thread.

First up from me in here is:

Baby Strange - Strange Desires

From 1993 comes this little critter. Decent enough stuff, with some sloppy playing going on.

Line up:
    Simon St. Germain - Drums
    Al Makira - Vocals
    Gavanne - Bass and Piano
    Julian Jade - Guitar

LINK:

http://s62.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1...73NBEBO83A30CU

p.s. lets try and keep the recent and copywrited material on the lowside here, or atleast on the "hush hush" style. Mention you are looking for something, and from there let those items go to PM.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

***COPIED FROM MY "SMASHED" THREAD***

Here is another one for you to upload!
    It's the Smashed demo from 1990 with the odd title "Nicotine and a man called Beam". The liner notes have a "Smashed '90" as the signature, but the copywrite shows '88/'89.

Band members:
    Skidder - Drums
    Minzley Manor - Guitar
    Mick T. - Vocals
    Chuff Twanger - Guitar
    Uncle Slapper - Bass

They also seemed to like getting underwear in the mail. If you would like to send yours, PM me and I'll send you the addy in the liner notes and you can see if they still preside there.

LINK:

http://s62.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3...Z03AXWME1YV8D5

More fun stuff to follow...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Good Idea Carl.

This is Crystal Pistol before they got Mik and Pinto. Good rockin' stuff. When I was in The Retreads we played a bunch of show with The Cartels. Good guys. They put out one CD on Tommy Floyd's Outlaw label and recorded another CD that wasn't released.

cartels
    The Cartels. Vancouver born & raised, with a penchant for chrome & whitewall rubber. A band who preferred the bowling courts to school and reportedly never came across a Ramones album they didn't like. The Cartels were founded in January 1997 by Greg Laikin - bass & vocals, Brian Bresett - guitar & vocals and Dave Troutman - drums. The three of them all agreed on the principal that Rock & Roll, fast cars and cool hair are all that counts, and with the ideology in place the band could then turn to their attention towards writing songs and playing gigs.

Line-up
    Brian Bresett - vocals and guitar
    Greg Laikin - vocals and bass
    Dave Troutman - drums

L7 007

Cartels / Kingpin
    Year: 1998

Click Here to Download

Track Title
    1. I Miss You
    2. Jesus Was A Friend Of Mine
    3. Hanna Dont Cry
    4. Tomorrow
    5. Subterranean Holiday
    6. Schizophreniac
    7. Bad Memory
    8. Nothing To Do
    9. Tamed
    10. Generation Xs
    11. Aka Paco`s Revenge

<font color="#FF0099" size="1">[ January 01, 2006 01:58 PM: Message edited by: Hazardous ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'm not too sure how to move whole thingy's. Just copy and paste it, that way your stuff stays with it and we know who to thank!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

haha...I read your mind. Thanks dude!

<font color="#FF0099" size="1">[ January 01, 2006 01:59 PM: Message edited by: Hazardous ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Hazardous:
    haha...I read your mind. <font color="#FF0099"><font size="1">[ January 01, 2006 01:59 PM: Message edited by: Hazardous ]</font></font>
    <font size="4" face="Arial">See, now you're scaring me...
    [img]eek.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

$ocial Act

This is a local Chicago band. These are the guys that hosted the record company bash that eventually got Daisy Chain signed, and then Daisy Chain changed their name to Mind Bomb.

This is a bit of a rare demo. They did a self-financed CD that could be found everywhere in the Chicagoland area and that is what got them a ton of recognition. They then went and did this release AFTER the controversial show that saw them gain nothing and Mind Bomb walk away with the prize they were to recieve.

The main guy in the band was Ellis Clark. He was last seen (by me anyway) as a backing member on the first album by local band The Chamber Strings.

LINK:
    http://s12.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3...S082U9T8S61U7K

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

These guys had a real glammy/Punk vibe to them. A lot of rip it up type songs ala Ramones or Hanoi doing Beer and a cigarette.

stroll

B000003TWJ15 SCLZZZZZZZ

Download it here!

Track Listings for
    1. You're Tearin' Me Apart
    2. Ain't Got No Sense
    3. Bonerack
    4. Picture My Face
    5. Lucy Potato
    6. Little Boxes
    7. Curtain Jumper
    8. Top Down
    9. Get off My Back
    10. Kissin' the Carpet
    11. Disgusteen
    12. You're Tearin' Me Apart
    13. Bonerack
    14. Lucy Potato
    15. Top Down [New Version]

Originally from Hamilton, Ontario, the band took its namesake from a Flaming Groovies song title. The self-proclaimed kings of teenage beer drinking parties, Teenage Head, maintain a reputation as one of Canada's greatest live bands who just couldn't get their energy to translate onto record.

Their self-titled debut, which was poorly recorded, distributed and released by InterGlobe Music, failed to stir any attention and the record company soon folded. But the band's frenetic live shows, which drew capacity crowds everywhere they played, and the moderate radio exposure of two singles "Top Down" and "Picture My Face", raised eyebrows at Attic Records.

Their follow-up, produced by David Bowie alumnus Stacy Heydon, was 'Frantic City' which spawned two hit singles -- "Let's Shake" and "Somethin' On My Mind" -- eventually making the album a gold seller for Attic Records. The album became a battle cry for beer swilling, cottage hopping college students across Canada.

Their third album, and second for Attic, was a repeat of their patented 2 minute George Thorogood-On-Speed vendettas called 'Some Kinda Fun' which extended the plethora of puking and passing out tunes such as "Let's Go To Fucking Hawaii" and "Teenage Beer Drinking Party".

Head fever was so intense in Toronto that a group of pre-pubescent musicians released several singles in the Head style and a tribute album of Teenage Head material by pre-teen band Teenage Kicks (they would later go on to record again with Stacy Heydon as Dragonspell).

A riot in the summer of 1981 during their performance at Toronto's Ontario Place Forum made front page news across the country and prompted Ontario Place management to ban 'rock acts' permanently. Following this incident, guitarist Gord Lewis was seriously injured in a car accident and David Bendeth took over guitar duties.

The industry pricked up its ears once more thinking they'd missed an untapped market -- unbridled teenage angst. MCA picked up the band's option and attempted to market the group as a nifty College pub-rock act and had the band water down their next record -- a 5 song EP called 'Tornado' --with rockabilly jangly guitar ditties produced by Bendeth. To really put the band in its place, the US arm of MCA refused to release the record unless the band changed its name from Head to HEADS so as to not offend Tipper Gore's PMRC minions.

A live album, 'Endless Party' was released in 1984 on Ready Records but the band could no longer get arrested. Frankie Venom was living the subject matter of all his songs and was quickly replaced by Dave "Rave" Desroches (The Shakers), an old friend from Hamilton who had been called into duty at many stages during the band's career. Teenage Head would record several independent albums with Dave 'Rave' Desroches (ex-Shakers) before he split for his own successful solo career with The Dave Rave Conspiracy and later Rave & Agnelli.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

One song into it and I already prefer The Cartels to Crystal Pistol.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Breezed The Cartels...good stuff.

One song into Teenage Head...and I think I am in love. [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img]

Two songs in and I know I am in love.

Page 1 of 30 1234567891011 ... LastLast