Thread: Warning! Don't go to MySpace.com!!!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

MySpace.com has a few very bad viruses at the mo, that will erase, share, steal your files/info/whatever secret info you have on ur computer! This was in the front page in a newspaper in London today, so beware! Even if you don't log in, but just go to look at any part of MySpace.com, a virus will come to your computer.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I've not seen the article you're referring to, but it sounds slightly blown out of proportion to me.

I've been to the site today with no problems. People just need to take sensible precautions when browsing, just like with any site they visit.

Which paper was it in, Kira? I'd be interested to look up the article online. I can't find anything about it at the moment.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

This is the only article I've seen, from a US television channel;

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=429828

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi Stacey,hope all is good with you. The article is on the cover of today's Evening Standard's free edition, that is handed out in the early afternoons in London, it's called Standard Lite. It says:The massive website MySpace.com has been hit by hackers sparking an alert for its 100million users.Computers have been damage by viruses that can change settings and delete files or secretly track their movements online.Experts say computers can be attacked while users simply view pages online after hackers hid harmfulsoftware on th einteractive communication site..etc, etc

<font color="#FF0099" size="1">[ August 18, 2006 10:45 AM: Message edited by: Sherri Sixxx ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I've not noticed anything and have been there a few times today. What are some of the signs? Are we just going to be getting a few emails asking up to fill out shit with attachments? If it's that type of thing, then bah, only morons get hit by those viruses. If it's embedded inside My Space, then Tom will be getting his ass sued for not having decent anti-virus set up. You can't have something that size and not have an anti-virus patrol.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I read the article in the Standard last night, and basically it boils down to people embedding malicious HTML code into their profile pages, which has always been possible with any web page. I guess you're just unlucky if you hit a profile which contains one. Not much you can do about it, except stay vigilant with anti-virus and anti-spyware scanners.

People are trying out their handywork there to distribute viruses, just because its so successful. Myspace accounts for 4.5 percent of all internet traffic now, and has over 100 million users.

Apparently 1 in 600 profiles contain potentially damaging code, so thats 0.0016% of pages. Viruses have been found that could potentially change computer settings, track browsing, delete hard-drive files and turn machines into 'spam zombies', causing them to send out millions of junk emails. I guess if you go looking for trouble, you could probably find it, if you know what I mean. [img]wink.gif[/img]

<font color="#FF0099" size="1">[ August 19, 2006 07:57 AM: Message edited by: Stacey. ]</font>