Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I like the new one bunches, and that is even comparing it to the old ones.

I've never had a problem with anybody disliking Johansen's voice. That is probably the hardest thing to swallow with them, old and new. He's an aquired taste, that's for sure.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Listened to this for the first time on the way in to work this AM. First impressions are that when it's good, it's very good. I did find myself skipping a couple of tracks that didn't instantly float my boat but all in all I think the boys have done the Dolls legacy proud.

Inactive Member Gav Ruadh Hallion's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Not had a chance to hear it myself.
    Although I liked the first two albums a lot, they still paled in comparison to the first time I saw them on a repeat of The Old Grey Whistle Test.
    Remember seeing that for the first time back in 1993, jaw dropping wide! haha

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I like it very much, great songs and David Johansen sounds better than ever. but it's hard to compare it to the old stuff, there can not be a New York Dolls without Thunders. So I see it as a great new band with the same name...

Saw them live last month, a great show. I hope they will be back in sweden soon again...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Turbo2000:
    [QB]it's hard to compare it to the old stuff, there can not be a New York Dolls without Thunders. So I see it as a great new band with the same name...QB]
    <font size="4" face="Arial">Seems a fair way to consider the album. It's not just the absence of Thunders that separates the new album from the first two - the 31 year gap also means better musicianship and a bigger, better production. For me the weakest track on the album (Rainbow Store) is the one that, ironically, seems the most 70s Dolls-esque, with it's musical similarities to Great Big Kiss (which I think they covered prior to Thunders' version didn't they?).

The album's grown a lot on me since my posting last week, and is highly recommended to anyone out there that hasn't picked it up yet.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Lightbulb

Honestly now, the appeal of post-Dolls Johnny and Jerry was not musical, it was them being poster boys for bohemian junkie-dom. As for the new CD, it's essentially a new band, think of it that way. It reminds me of Tokyo Dolls, D&S plus sidemen.

Yes, NYD covered GBK. It was a 45 single c/w Teenage News, and was only ever on LP format in Night of The Living Dolls. Great glam/funk!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12