Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by sprinkle_sprinkle2:
    I'll have to choose Ana Black just cuz Diz was my bud at one time
    <font size="4" face="Arial">and I have to go with quoting myself from 2 years ago LMFAO - I don't remember what Havana Black sounded like or looked like actually

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ana Black had some KILLER demo tunes like Who Killed Hollywood, Straight Jacket Shake, etc... very sleazy /glam stuff and I have to say that as musicians, those guys smoked! Guitar work was incredible and unlike any other glam band at the time had.

I wasn't too keen on some of their stuff though because I found it sounded more metal than glam but the demos as mentioned above and some other tunes were great.

All in all, damn fine musicians I thought that rivalled, if not surpassed people like Paul Gilbert, George Lynch etc [img]smile.gif[/img]

<font color="#FF0099" size="1">[ November 12, 2005 04:37 AM: Message edited by: Andii Vamp ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Oh and on a side note... never heard the other mentioned band [img]smile.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

ANA BLACK is one of the unsigned bands which SHOULD DEFINITELY RELEASE a CD. Hey, I even thought to release it cause I think it will kick ass....

Inactive Member A Katt Named Raggz's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

That RAGGZ don't know shit about bands!...Bastard!..LOL

I still have to go with what I said...only let me clear it better. Ana Black were good musicians, and I did like like 3 songs of theirs, but that's it...they really did noting for me as a band.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by RAGGZ:

Both in my books weren't at all that great musicians.
    And Ana Black just was popular cuz of their image.
    <font size="4" face="Arial">posted May 31, 2008 05:57 AM
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LMFAO!!! OUCH!!!
    okay okay...let me pick from what you've mentioned.
    I pick NONE!!!
    Both in my books weren't at all that great musicians.
    And Ana Black just was popular cuz of their image.
    Their songs did't do anything for me.
    You've got to be kidding! You play an instrument?

Jessie And Dayvee are excellent guitarists. Jessie can do all the Paul Gilbert technical stuff as well as anyone, and sounds like a guitar tuner with a tone generator being spun back and forth on some solos, no joke. I have heard a few great guitarists say they can't play it at all. Even schooled guys like G.I.T. Honor Grads.

D. did some really cool stuff with the Heil talk box as well. He does not lack any skills as a guitarist and the stuff he played after Ana with his Brother Dizzy (Tom Frood) sounded like Jimi Hendrix. No easy feat. Even just to learn his songs correctly is way beyond the ability of 99.999 percent of guitarists that have ever lived. Please, don't knock guys like Ana Black. Especially if you've never seen them live or watched them rehearse. They really were a band of good guys, fighting the fight, until the very end. They all had talent to spare, dizzy switched bass, which I taught him and every one of them could sing backup or lead vocals. Have you ever seen the bit they do where they all stand together and play each other's instuments at the same time and switch it all up several times? The only other band I've seen do that is populated by the best bass player, electric banjo player, drumitar player and keyboard/harmonica players in the world. They are known as Bela Fleck. Victor Wooten is the star, he's the bass player. Check them out if you can stand a bit of cajun zydeco, country, bluegrass, jazz, jazz fusion and rock all rolled into one. Although they do tailor their sound to the locale and the venue each night or so they say. Cheers Mate!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by RAGGZ:
    The only song from Ana Black that is pretty good is....STRAIT-JACKET SHAKE
    <font size="4" face="Arial">Who Killed
    Hollywood?

PLus, there are tons of songs you've never heard because they were current in 1995-1997 and they got very little if any exposure besides live shows in SoCal.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by PurplePunki:
    You know, like many of the old-school LA glam bands, I've heard *of* both of those bands, but never heard any of their stuff...I'm severly deprived, I guess. Unless they had a major label release, rarely did I get to hear a band, with a few unsigned exceptions (like Jones Street, for example).

I need to catch up on my old-school, and badly.

One thing I remember hearing in reference to Ana Black was that China (formerly of Sinisstar) used to be in the band. True? Or has someone been fibbing to me?
    <font size="4" face="Arial">Yes, China is Christian Hanthorn AKA Jessie James

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Dizzy Draztik:
    yep, China was in Ana Black. He was the little guy. Same as when he was in sinisstar, LOL!
    <font size="4" face="Arial">Dayvee was the little guy. Jessie is well over six feet and Dayvee is around Five four or so.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Andii Vamp:
    Ana Black had some KILLER demo tunes like Who Killed Hollywood, Straight Jacket Shake, etc... very sleazy /glam stuff and I have to say that as musicians, those guys smoked! Guitar work was incredible and unlike any other glam band at the time had.

I wasn't too keen on some of their stuff though because I found it sounded more metal than glam but the demos as mentioned above and some other tunes were great.

All in all, damn fine musicians I thought that rivalled, if not surpassed people like Paul Gilbert, George Lynch etc [img]smile.gif[/img]

<font color="#FF0099"><font size="1">[ November 12, 2005 04:37 AM: Message edited by: Andii Vamp ]</font></font>
    <font size="4" face="Arial">I guess if I had an award to hand out to the keenly astute, you would receive one. Yes, they can be mentioned in the same breath as Paul Gilbert. It's a known fact by those with sufficient faculties to ascertain such. Do you find it odd that some people armed with the same information can come up with a different answer and still consider themselves equipped to opine on matters such as these, even in the face of rebuttal? Maybe, it's just trendy to bash people when you can on here in order to make it seem like your opinions should be noted, revered and followed... all the while knowing you can get away with it because evidence to the contrary is scant or nonexistent on this board or elsewhere except in the households of band members and a few dedicated fans. As a side note, Ana did have some very regular groupies that stayed with them until even after the band broke up.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast