Free Moliere!
(Selections from Moliere presented without charge -- I'm not saying he's in jail and we have to bust him out.)

Featured are John Corona, Debbie Witt, Mark Brouwer, Carrie Dabelow, Lars Timpa, Lisa Barber, Rob Nardini, Jack T. Smith, John Apodaca and Steve Blount. These are EXTREMELY talented people, so it's worth seeing just for them. Directed by Craig Gustafson, assistant director Ashley Ottenstein, lights: Jim Van De Velde. Some pictures of the cast here: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=31027411138

If you are (A) on the board of a local theatre or (B) just somebody who likes comedy, please attend the Wheaton Drama General Meeting on Oct. 21.

We're doing scenes from two Carl Howlett adaptations of works by Moliere - The Miser and Scapin. To quote Howlett: "I grew tired of reading unfunny versions of Moliere where the emphasis was on literal translation of the words and not on the comedy. I suspect that much of the verbal humor was killed by the scholars, who just didn't get it. So I wrote my own."

Moliere is hilarious, accessible and relevant. These translations are perfect for those who love Blackadder -- the dialogue is colloquial, but with a semi-formal period framework. There is no, "I prithee, loan me a farthing". Howlett is a classic comedy fanatic who makes no bones about writing for the greats: "I adapted The Miser as if Bert Lahr was going to star in it. I did Scapin as a Phil Silvers vehicle."

So please come and take a free glance at these scenes. Being new, the royalties for these scripts are $50 per performance, rather than the current industry standard $75 (unless you're Neil Simon, who gets $125 -- even for The Star Spangled Girl).

The program will be presented immediately following the general meeting. Come on out -- it's funny and it's free.