Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

This is a topic that came from David Breslow:

I wonder why audition notices don't let actors know the important information they need in order to decide whether or not to go to an audition or not. For some reason, the ads that post auditions do not let actors know show dates and potential rehearsal dates/times (i.e. Show dates: Aug. 10th through October 1st. Rehearsals: mon thru friday at 7pm) or whatever it is.

Too often these ads don't offer this info until you arrive at an audition...which is too late. Why is this info being held onto? It's ludicrous and doesn't serve the actor at all.

David B.
    www.theflowzone.net

HB Forum Owner Craig T Gustafson's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I wonder why audition notices don't let actors know the important information they need in order to decide whether or not to go to an audition or not. For some reason, the ads that post auditions do not let actors know show dates and potential rehearsal dates/times (i.e. Show dates: Aug. 10th through October 1st. Rehearsals: mon thru friday at 7pm) or whatever it is.

Too often these ads don't offer this info until you arrive at an audition...which is too late. Why is this info being held onto? It's ludicrous and doesn't serve the actor at all.
    <font size="2" face="Times, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif">1. Speaking as an actor, I don't encounter the problem of not knowing the production dates before going to an audition because I wouldn't go to the audition before finding out the dates. If they neglected to post it on a board, I seek out the group's website and find the dates there. It's a very rare group that doesn't have all the dates for their season on their site. If I'm really interested in the show, I dig for the information.

2. Speaking as a director, I have a set "rigid but fluid" schedule -- meaning that I go in knowing that I'll be doing four days per week, with the first four weeks being broken into sections and the last two putting the show together. I won't rehearse Fridays or Saturdays except at gunpoint. Sometimes the theater is renting space and I know what days I HAVE to use; more often, though, I leave it open so that I'll be able to accomodate actors' schedule conflicts. So I can tell you that we'll be rehearsing Sunday - Thursday, four days out of those five, but as to what that breakdown is, I won't know until I coordinate the schedules of the people I cast.

I always try to give people as much information as possible because it saves having to answer questions later.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I like it when I can go to a website for character descriptions and scenes, especially if it's an unfamiliar show. I don't appreciate listings that say they are looking for "all ages and types" when in reality, there are really only a couple ages and types they want. And if an accent is vital, please warn us!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I disagree with the notion that rehearsal schedules qualify as "important information" for these reasons. Show dates, yes.

1. Auditions are usually held between 6-8 weeks prior to performance. As an actor, if I'm making a commitment to be in a show for that period, I HAVE to assume that I'll be needed at any time during those 6-8 weeks. Does that mean I'll sign up for 7 nights a week? Absolutely not, but has anyone ever experienced that? I also trust that if I have a conflict in the 6-8 weeks that is regular, that I may not be cast as a result of that if the director can't work with it. Have I wasted my time auditioning? No. I may be the best candidate there, and I at least put the decision onto others. (as a poker player, that is what I most often want to do in a competitive situation - make OTHERS make the hard decision.)

2. From a director's standpoint (based on the above) if I am willing to work around an actor's schedule because I HAVE to have them in the show when it is in front of an audience....why would I limit my auditioners? I'm not trying to waste people's time. I'm trying to get myself the best show. If that means conflicts must be forgiven, then so be it. If it works out that the schedule is untenable....then it is, and I may have to take choice B as a result. But at least choice A made me have to make the choice. (the poker analogy doesn't work here, because as a director, I'm only in competition with myself)

3. Rehearsal schedules RARELY (EXTREMELY RARELY) interfere with times that you would expect no rehearsals: Friday Night, Saturday night and Sunday morning. OK, so what can an actor realistically expect? No more than 5 (but usually 4) nights a week, culled from Sunday afternoon - Thursday night, with MAYBE a Saturday morning instead of one of those nights. MAYBE. There. I've just laid out the rehearsal schedule for 99% of community theatre shows. It's not important to clog an audition notice with that information.

4. This is why LISTING CONFLICTS THOROUGHLY on your audition form is not important, it is ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I don't encounter not showing show dates as much as knowing rehearsal schedules...some are day and some are evening and i find that some won't say what time of day or evening...i realize rehearsal schedules may change based on the cast chosen and availabilities...but give me some framework to work with. As a Director, I'd want people to know EVERYTHING they need to know up fromt...without having to dig deeper and spend time and energy doing so. Im my opinion, there is simply no reason for it...it's just poor "business" and lack of follow through. Can anyone think of a good reason NOT to offer the important information up front?

David

HB Forum Owner Craig T Gustafson's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

As a Director, I'd want people to know EVERYTHING they need to know up fromt...without having to dig deeper and spend time and energy doing so. Im my opinion, there is simply no reason for it...it's just poor "business" and lack of follow through. Can anyone think of a good reason NOT to offer the important information up front?
    <font size="2" face="Times, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif">Well, I agree with you; people should be given all the information available. But we also have to be loose enough as actors to know that (A) for most people it's volunteer work, not their business, (B) many publicity people I've worked with are wonderful, but just as many are clueless and (C) the producer or director may have placed the notice on the board him/herself because they saw the publicity person wasn't getting the job done and they haven't thought it through.

In a perfect, professional world this wouldn't happen, and as soon as we get one of those it'll be nicer for everyone.

I'm NOT disagreeing with your viewpoint. I'm just saying it won't happen, so we need to make the best of it.
    AND: I just read Randy's post all the way through. (Skimmed over it the first time.) He's right. Once you know the performance dates, you have a pretty good idea of what the time commitment is going to be. I always tell people as much as I can, but if you need to make sure you're not rehearsing on Saturdays, list it as a conflict. (I made that mistake myself and am finding myself traipsing to Wheaton a couple of Saturdays this month. [img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img] )

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ October 04, 2006 12:41 PM: Message edited by: Sgt. Bilko ]</font>