munchkin

Today's the last day -- at Hollywood Blvd in Woodridge, they are showing The Wizard of Oz this weekend.

Featured in person are three of the Munchkin actors from the movie. Karl Slover (a trumpeter), Margaret Pellegrini (one of the sleeping Munchkins for "Rub your eyes, get out of bed") & Meinhardt Raabe ("As Coroner, I must aver, I thoroughly examined her..."). The last time I saw Meinhardt Raabe in person was around 1966 at Winston Park (now Winston Plaza) in Melrose Park, standing next to the Oscar Meyer Weinermobile.

A picture from today is enclosed. Reasons to go:

1. If you've never seen The Wizard of Oz on a big screen, you need to go. The Wizard has fangs, for cryin' out loud. And when Miss Gulch turns into the Witch during the cyclone, there's a glint of ruby slippers -- she's the Wicked Witch of the East. And live audience reaction when the Witch replaces Auntie Em in the crystal ball? Oh my.

2. How long are any cast members going to be around? Raabe is 91. What was cool was that whenever children went up to take a picture with Raabe, he'd extend his tiny, wrinkled hand and hold onto one of the child's fingers.

Information here: Hollywood Blvd.

Craig