Thread: I Wrote Something. Hope Peeps Still Show Here.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

May be the shortest prose piece I've ever written.

<center>Party at God's House</center>

God opened the gate and gestured me in. "Cool, you made it. You missed the limbo contest, but there's charades in the living room and the band's tuning up out back. Drinks are by the kitchen door. Knock yourself out.

"Oh, and Mom made the nosh so it's all good."

Yes! I'd missed the limbo. I hate limbo, but God's all for it, and he likes to have everyone play, so...

The yard being pretty full, it looked like the quickest way to drinks was through the house. I walked into the foyer where a little last minute decorating was going on.

"God wants the pine garland with holly berries draped around the door frame."

"No, She wants the fishing net and Japanese floats."

"He wants the string of tacky-cool flamingo lights."

I thought it looked pretty good the way it was but, hey, what did I know? I wandered down the hall, admiring the carved panels on the walls. God built the place, you know, top to bottom. As I passed the den I heard people setting up the CD changer for during the band's breaks.

"Matchbox 20 makes God's favorite music."

"Miles Davis is His favorite."

"You're both wrong. She likes Mozart best."

"God's a Metallica fan."

Since they were picking over God's collection, I supposed they were all at least partly right but, hey, what did I know? As always I stopped when I entered the kitchen. God's Mom is a righteous cook, so the kitchen is totally tricked out and I have to pause just to soak it all in. I overheard some people setting up the food tables on my way to the back door.

"Put the pigs-in-blankets at center table. That's where God wants His favorite food."

"Yes, and that's why we're putting the humus and pita chips at center table."

"No, that's where the caviar and toast points go."

"What about the spray cheese crackers?"

God's Mom had made the food and I figured she'd know what her Kid liked but, hey, what did I know?

Finally, the drinks. I opened the door and grabbed a can of that store-brand fruit soda I can't figure out why I like so much, but I do. I wasn't surprised to find it; God's thoughtful that way. I went out back to say hi to the band. God's favorite or not, they were one of mine.

When the food came out I pigged on the fried wontons and nibbled on the other stuff. I watched as the seating was rearranged three times. (It finally ended up the way it started.) I chatted in passing with a few people and nodded at several more. I watched, nibbled and nodded for a while, then went in search of my Host.

"Leaving already?" God's eyes were disappointed.

"Yeah, sorry. Hey, let's do something this week. You have Thursday free?"

God's grin must be experienced; it can't be described. "Cool. How about sushi?"

"You're on."

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I liked that one. yes, I still make a rare appearance. Trying to make it less rare. Thanks for posting here. I know it's quiet, but stuff does get read.