Thread: Untitled (for now)

Dano

Lightbulb

14 Dec 2409
    To: Jacques LaFontaine
    ......Recruitment Officer
    ......Europan Defense Ministry

Dear Citizen,

Due to your current state of unemployment and the escelation of tensions on the moon of Phobos, you have been selected for conscription into the Defense Ministry, specifically the Interplanetary Infantry.

Should you choose to deny this conscription, please indicate that you are a consciencious objector and return this message to the proper office.

Please respond as quickly as possible so that the Ministry can process you and have you ready to defend Europan interests as soon as possible.

Thank You,
    Patrick Reiple

My name is Jacques LaFontaine. I was born in the city of Mogadishu in the province of Somalia in the state of Africa on Terra. My parents originally were from the Ivory Coast, which explains my more Europan/French name. They moved to Mogadishu while my mother was pregnant with me, my father moving with his job as a tech for Macro Systems Limited.

I was born in 2374, the only child of Jean-Paul and Marie. I was raised and schooled in Mogadishu, attending classes at the Pan-African Honors Acadamy, where I excelled in coursework, graduating as a Scholar of Letters in 2393. I attended university as a Fellowhip student at the Universite du Paris, achieving an Advanced Degree in Letters in 2399.

After graduation, I chose to stay in Europa, getting a job with a firm specializing in restoration of texts. My job entailed poring through the vast library of text in the ancient and obsolete network computers and saving what I could translate into bio-drones.

I myself had a bio-drone, a very good one named Kem. He assisted me quite well in my work, and we became almost friends. Well, as friendly as one can become with a bio-drone.

In 2407, I was working late one night, going over a text that I had not payed much attention to before. The stories and myths of Gloria Ruiz, the woman who reputedly brought the 'known world' together in harmony (for as long as it lasted) were well-documented and easily accessable. However, while reading it this night, it struck me as nothing had before. I really understood what was being said, what her message had been all about.

"Raise Love. All Stories Are True."

That was as simple as it got. Everything else around me, my office, the ancient computer in front of me, the bio-drone circling my head, my job, my home and everything else suddenly seemed so much less.

It ate at me for weeks. Gradually, I gathered more and more information surreptitiously, reading hard copies at home, not wanting people to think that I was some sort of wierd hippie or something. I cut my hair, my clothing became more and more casual, I stopped wearing my watch.

People noticed. My supervisor noticed. She called me into her office and we had a chat. We talked about nothing in particular for a few minutes and then she dropped the bomb.

"Jacques, I have to be honest with you. We've noticed your new lackadasical approach to your work. While I'm sure it increases your morale, your productivity has slackened. I have to ask, are you fully committed to your position here?"

I sat there and looked at her. She a tall woman, even taller than I, perhaps 7 feet. Her face was not ugly, but neither was it beautiful. It struck me that perhaps at one point she had been beautiful, but the mediocrity and repetition of her work had worn her down. I knew what to do.

"I'm sorry. I think it's time I tendered my resignation."

(more soon)

[This message has been edited by Dano (edited April 30, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Dano (edited April 30, 2000).]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

smile meliketh.

few knick-knacks.
    it's l'Universit? de Paris, fyi

and the name Lafontaine evokes bad images, cause he's a very incompetent german politician, but that's okay. wink

i find it intriguing... smile oob

Pietro

Meanwhile, in another hidden part of Africa, a girl dreams about the success and she sings a simple song...

They said that is in the North
    The whole fortune and it supplies
    That the world has to offer
    To end at once
    With all my poverty
    I will sing in English language
    I will sing in English

To know money of truth
    To see if it brings happiness
    To end at once
    With that renouncement life
    I will improve the pronunciation
    And I will sing in English

I got tired of being famous in Somalia
    I want to be somebody in New York
    Walk in a Limo with chauffeur
    To sing in Madison Square
    To be "like this" with Woody Allen
    So that everything speak
    "That?s a pretty woman"

But if I don't please
    And I only to get to sing
    In a 46 Street?s bar
    It won't be completely bad
    Return to Mogadishu saying
    That was a tremendous big bang
    My World Tourne?!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

like it so far. good attention to detail. i like jacques already (probably 'cos i kind of feel like him) and i dislike his supervior (she's a little like the one i've suffered under for the last eight months). nice.

post more.

take care

---jones

------------------
    "the kick inside"
    new chapters in Works & Days
    a punk rock romance in words, music & art http://www.freehomepages.com/worksanddays

[This message has been edited by jones (edited May 01, 2000).]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

awesome.

two quick notes:
    >My parents originally were from the Ivory Coast, which explains my more Europan/French name. <
    i would leave out from "which explains my..." on, for two reasons--one, it's one of those "you're supposed to know your culture" things that writers do, and two, it sort of states the semi-obvious. (and i think the sentence is kind of awkward with it, but i'm not sure why.)
    and second, i would definitely write more on this story and post it for the rest of us. <g>

-g

------------------
    Sometimes i think everyone on this board is crazy. The rest of the time i'm sure.
    -Dan

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Man, wish I could do sci-fi THAT good. I like it Dano. smile

------------------
    Branflakes. The Ninja Lesbian. The Milk Getter. The Hair Gel Getter. I get it all!
    The one Necro calls "brain".
    I walk the path, trying not to get pulled into the weeds.
    "walking away, no longer running."
    "See that star...the one shining brighter than all the others? I know the girl who hung it there."

Dano

Lightbulb

17 Feb 2410
    To: Jacques Lafontaine

Dear Citizen,

You're decision to participate as a consciencious objector in this situation is fully accepted by the government of Europa. However, as you realize, certain actions will now be taken in this regard.

As of 20 Feb 2410, your entertainment voucher will be cut to 5 hours per week, and your food ration to 12 meals per week.

Patrick Reiple

After I tendered my resignation, I took a aerobus home. A feeling of freedom coursed through me, like I had finally accomplished something. No longer would I be shackled to the machine, I would be my own man.

I was not prepared for the retalliation.

Inside of a month, my housing was downgraded from a nice, spacious two-bedroom apartment to a medium-sized loft, and not in the best of neighborhoods. I was told it was because my income had signifigantly decreased, despite the fact that I had a considerable sum of money in the bank.

I sold many of my belongings, since I was starting to realize their lack of actual importance to me. I kept only my music files, many of my books, and enough clothing to make it through a week or two.

I lived in this loft for about 6 months, and then, out of the blue, the Bio-Drone company came and repossessed Kem, saying that I had missed several payments (which I had not). I protested and sent several letters off to the offices, but recieved only form letters in return.

Several weeks later, I noticed a sty on my right eye, and went to the Med Center to have it looked at. At the reception desk, I showed my ID, she scanned it, and frowned. "I'm sorry Mr. Lafontaine, but this says you are only entitled to emergency medical care, not elective." I thanked her and left, confused and a little angry. Eventually, the sty went down on its own, and it made me realize what I had done. The decision I had made was further-reaching than I had first realized.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Cool. This part really has me wanting to read more. I like the flow. Very good.

------------------
    Branflakes, the ninja lesbian milk getter.
    The one called "brain".
    I walk the path, trying not to get pulled into the weeds.
    God never gives us more than we can handle.
    "See that star...the one shining brighter than all the others? I know the girl who hung it there."

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Starting to take more shape now. I like it Dano. Please sir, we want some more wink

------------------
    - "How do you know the chosen ones? No greater love hath a man than he lay down his life for his friend. Not for millions, not for glory, not for fame... for one person. In the dark. Where no one will ever know or see." - Sebastion, Babylon 5
    - INDECISION is the key to FLEXIBILITY.

Dano

Lightbulb

26 March 2410
    To: Jacques Lafontaine

Dear Citizen,

Should you reconsider your position on the matter of your conscription, all of your previously suspended benefits will be returned at the earliest possible convenience.

Please contact me posthaste regarding this matter, as the defense of Europan interests affects us all.

Patrick Reiple

In 2408, very little in my life changed or happened, really. My medical benefits had been cut, and Kem had been taken from me. I was forced to do much of my housecleaning myself. In time, I learned to be more conscientious of what I did, and found the act of cleaning was a mental relaxation.

My routine was simple during this time. I woke up and took a long walk around the Hague, usually stopping for a light breakfast on the way back. I then bathed and spent the bulk of the afternoon reading, mostly the teachings of Gloria Ruiz.

Also, I read many of the other great philosophers of history, including Socrates, Jesus Christ, Guatama Buddha, Confucious, Jung, and many of the writers of the 22nd Century, who due to the cultural backlash against thought outside the 'box of uniformity' usually went uncreditied. Writing styles were fairly consistent and distinct, and several definite personalities became clear to me.

Through it all, the teachings of Gloria Ruiz shone a light on my path.

"Raise Love. All stories are true."

As I deliberately started to act and then think and then feel this way, I noticed several things. My stress levels went down. My desire to participate in the world at large lessened. My need to help others increased. Over all, I felt I was becoming closer and closer to the truth, to divinity or whatever you want to call it. I definitely had a long way to go, but I had already travelled far.

In November of that year, the hydroagriculturalists on the moon of Phobos went on strike against Europa, citing unfair working conditions and too much time away from their families on Earth. Response was swift from the Europan government, an ultimatum to get back to it or be 'terminated'. I assume they meant more than just firing them all.

A small resistance force started bombing Europan offices around the moon, mainly those staffed by automated personell. Several dozen workers were rounded up and sent to the prison on Luna as an example.

Things only got worse from there.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast