Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Smile

there's a beautiful storm outside.
    it's been raining for 2+ hours - it hasn't rained this much in at least two months. by god, the farmers sure need it.

---

walking in the rain. it's amazing. the rain is pouring down, falling on us as we walk down the middle of the road. the streetlights are flickering on and off, trying to light a street already flooded by constant lightning.

the light is incredibly bright, the shape of the lightning burning itself into our eyes. there's a blue-purplish shimmer to the world every few seconds, and it seems to be brighter than during the daytime.

we walk along the lake, barely keeping our footing on the ridge, careful not to misstep and end up sliding into the lake. the old reservoir towers tall above us as we walk around the lake. the trees reflect off the surface of the lake together with the streetlights. it has stopped raining momentarily, and it almost seems calm - just a normal night out in the arb.

but then it flashes again and again and again. with every flash the lightning becomes brighter and it is almost as if we are in a disco nature has created for us. incessant strobe lights coming from the sky, obscuring our movement one moment and highlighting it the next. the deep grumbling of the thunder is the bass that moves through your body until it cracks and is so loud we can't hear each other talking. all at once we are isolated from each other, but we are together because we both see and hear the same things.

the lightning continues with incredible force while the thunder continues to grow louder and louder, running shivers down both our spines as we stand in the middle of the forrest looking out onto the lake that seems so earily calm, merely reflecting the fighting in the sky but taking no part in it.

we walk back along the road through the rain soaking us from head to toe. we are incredibly wet, our jeans' weight making it hard to walk, but the rain feels so incredibly good as it falls down on our bodies. people wave to us from the safety of their porches. we wave back and laugh for pure joy of walking in the rain.

in front of our houses there are torrents of rain water running along the street, flowing inches deep. we jump around in the standing-flowing water, suddenly transformed into little children playing in the water. we laugh so hard we could cry, but we couldn't see our tears anyways. cars pass us by and must think we are completely crazy but we are just having the best of times, playing in the rain without a care in the world.

i take of my shoes and socks, for they are soaked and have become useless and walk around in the flowing puddles barefoot, the water summer warm, while my cloathing is getting cold, clinging to my body.

i walk down the middle of the main street of town, barefoot soaking wet and happy, incredibly happy. i run around in the rain and i haven't felt this good in a long time. playing in the rain frees all the pain and thoughts for just these moments, letting me be careless and enjoying the moment.

i lie down in the middle of the road and let the rain drip down onto me. i can hear the rain heavily hitting my jeans and my shirt and for that one moment i am in heaven, thinking of nothing else but the joy that rain can bring.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Great imagery. Loved the reference to a disco nature created. wow.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Talking

i like the elements you placed here like the thunder grumbling its bass...
    i wrote something here, though it's been a year ago since i did it...much like your piece

Rain
    Rain sprays upon the silky leaves,
    I remembered us playing under a storm's docile eve.
    My hair rests upon my shoulder, like wet paintbrush postering the shirt.
    And you floated a sailboat upon that river by the sidewalk, flooded with some dirt.
    We followed it through till the boat goes to the end of a hole, and we never wondered where it really flows.
    So we messed, laughed and rested, then giggled on our tiptoes.
    I hear the rain again, looking for excited shadows.
    Just let the breeze begin, and there could be no tomorrow.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I like the imagery in yours, blackaquea, especially the 2nd and 3rd line.