Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

this was just another little thing....it has to do with a discussion i had regarding living in the moment, or not. with this poem, or an american haiku possibly (according to kerouac), i just wanted to establish living in the moment, and how at that time it sucked...but in reality, it was almost worth, it made for a good time.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

EXPLANATORY NOTE BY AUTHOR: the "haiku" was invented and devoloped over hundreds of years in Japan to be a complete poem in seventeen syllables and to pack in a whole vision of life in three short lines. A "western haiku" need not concern itself with the seventeen syllables since western languages cannot adapt themselves to the fluid syllabillic Japanese. I propose that the "western haiku" simply say a lot in three short lines in any western language.
    Above all, a Haiku must be very simple and free of all poetic trickery and make a little picture and yet be as airy and graceful as a Vivaldi Pastorella.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

if you wanna get down to it they were originally syllables of 5, 7, 5, adding up to seventeen and japanese did not write them as westerners do because they use a different reading, writing structure or something...we write them in 3 lines...they do not..i've forgotten how they write them.. i actually took a haiku course last semester. in addition to all that.. haiku in japan as well as here in the west are generally expected to have a seasonal, or nature element, which this one did, "cold"...but one's that don't are considered to be a form of haiku which are called "senryu".. senryu are not really accepted by many japanese haiku writers but we don't give a rats ass do we?
    i think it'd be great if people started posting haiku on here as well. if you want..do it. but don't copy shit off fight club. i've seen that on other sites and it just looks stupid cause everyone's seen it and we know it and its an easy way to look like an ass. ha..i usually do look like an ass but i try to avoid the easy way.

___---parch

side note: basho was a japanese haiku writer.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

actually i took that whole author's note from a kerouac book...i didnt mean anyone to think it was my original description...and thanks i was wondering who basho was but i didnt wanna look stupid-thanks

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

so let's make a structure for us......what are our lines? and what are 5, 7, 5's? let's make some rules for this hostboard haiku posting...what do you say? I have always wanted to try it......so fill me in...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

this is the start of our revolution! why use rules from other areas of time, let's start our own..and be known for it...make the way we want to sound, the way we want it to be....right? are you with me?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

ok ok ok i get it i get it then....why not try to include something different then...whereas the japenese haikus liked to include something about nature and the such, that was because they were all into the nature thing, or rather nature totally enveloped them in their surroundings....well it doesnt envelope us...right about the moment...try to capture your exact feelins in three short lines...try to capture your exact position in three short lines....try to capture your exact place in the world in three short lines

these are just ideas....anyone?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

that's cool w/ doing what you guys want to do..but i think there is something about japanese haiku (w/ nature) that makes them so much more encompassing sometimes... they become deeper but not so real. i'm not sure. i love japanese haiku, good old ones...but i also like new stuff...so post your new stuff...i just wanted to comment that there is a special place for haiku (original form).

___---parch

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

wanted to bring this topic back liked the idea of new haiku and the whole modern meaning stuff plan to work on it i am loving this digging through archives way too much i think smile

------------------