Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

No more chapters on Eurasia

I am seeing massive bias here

I do accept the scope for improvement which is obviously very much there as i am a first time writer and will work to action JB57's input but the criticism is not being able to figuring out who is who is unfair and very very biased[/QUOTE]

I became a member on hostboard as i thought this would be a forum to read great stories which it continues to be and a forum for a first time writer envisioning an detailed epic story
    Sadly,am seeing massive bias and ero encouragement from people here
    As a writer,this is discouraging and i dont think hostboard s not the forum or me
    Will i continue to write Eurasia further ? I dont think so
    I am mulling over the idea of requesting JB57 to carry it forward.
    Will think about it and post on the same thread in a couple of days

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Re: No more chapters on Eurasia

Quote Originally Posted by jack_ryan View Post
    I am seeing massive bias here

I do accept the scope for improvement which is obviously very much there as i am a first time writer and will work to action JB57's input but the criticism is not being able to figuring out who is who is unfair and very very biased

I became a member on hostboard as i thought this would be a forum to read great stories which it continues to be and a forum for a first time writer envisioning an detailed epic story
    Sadly,am seeing massive bias and ero encouragement from people here
    As a writer,this is discouraging and i dont think hostboard s not the forum or me
    Will i continue to write Eurasia further ? I dont think so
    I am mulling over the idea of requesting JB57 to carry it forward.
    Will think about it and post on the same thread in a couple of days
    Take it easy man. Why so serious ? Why being hurted by some critics or a miss of encougament. The first person for who you write is you, isnt it ? You have to Write for you and if people appreciate your work its good. If they dont, the world is maybe not ready for your style.

If you absolutely need encouragements from some strangers on internet on a depraved fetish forum full of fapmen with deviant mind like me, maybe you have to think about your own behavior.
    I hope you will understand what I say. I dont want you to quit and i dont want you to stop writing your stuff. Your style is just not mine but dont be outraged i like very few stories here. I just want to tell you its not a big deal.
    Peace
    Last edited by badmax; August 28th, 2019 at 07:40 AM. Reason: Change

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by badmax View Post
    Take it easy man. Why so serious ? Why being hurted by some critics or a miss of encougament. The first person for who you write is you, isnt it ? You have to Write for you and if people appreciate your work its good. If they dont, the world is maybe not ready for your style.

If you absolutely need encouragements from some strangers on internet on a depraved fetish forum full of fapmen with deviant mind like me, maybe you have to think about your own behavior.
    I hope you will understand what I say. I dont want you to quit and i dont want you to stop writing your stuff. Your style is just not mine but dont be outraged i like very few stories here. I just want to tell you its not a big deal.
    Peace
    1.I dont think its an issue of the world being ready for my style.I think medieval erotic fantasy goes way back and has been explored by many writers on this forum.I am serious in an aspect like you mentioned but i think every writer has to be serious right otherwise how ill things go forward ?
    2.I think people dont just write for themselves,they obviously write to be appreciated by aficionados too and it has been proved that positive encouragement goes a long way to build a better forum and in life too.Every person needs positivity around them
    3.This is a fetish forum but that doesnt mean it has depraved people.I am not looking for fandom.The point i was trying to mention is that every forum has to have a cultivating culture.
    4I think it is a big deal for any first time writer else why would this forum be sustaining for a long time?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

1.I dont think its an issue of the world being ready for my style.I think medieval erotic fantasy goes way back and has been explored by many writers on this forum.I am serious in an aspect like you mentioned but i think every writer has to be serious right otherwise how ill things go forward ?
    2.I think people dont just write for themselves,they obviously write to be appreciated by aficionados too and it has been proved that positive encouragement goes a long way to build a better forum and in life too.Every person needs positivity around them
    3.This is a fetish forum but that doesnt mean it has depraved people.I am not looking for fandom.The point i was trying to mention is that every forum has to have a cultivating culture.
    4I think it is a big deal for any first time writer else why would this forum be sustaining for a long time?
    As someone who works in the business analysis genre,i have always kept myself to be open to feedback and action on the same ,i have kept the same attitude while writing
    I think JB57 has been too harsh .If you look at feedback that JB57 has given on stories by other authors,they have been nuanced and not harsh.
    I think any forum should have the habit of encouragement and healthy criticism especially from senior members.Seniority does not mean that an first time writer should be harshly criticized
    if anyone were to an analysis of all he comments on various writers of long and short stories in this foru ,u will see a massive difference in nuance
    I dont think i will be writing on HB anymore.I think a review has to be done about nuance and encouragement on this forum.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    151 Post(s)

As someone who works in the business analysis genre,i have always kept myself to be open to feedback and action on the same ,i have kept the same attitude while writing
    I think JB57 has been too harsh .If you look at feedback that JB57 has given on stories by other authors,they have been nuanced and not harsh.
    I think any forum should have the habit of encouragement and healthy criticism especially from senior members.Seniority does not mean that an first time writer should be harshly criticized
    if anyone were to an analysis of all he comments on various writers of long and short stories in this foru ,u will see a massive difference in nuance
    I dont think i will be writing on HB anymore.I think a review has to be done about nuance and encouragement on this forum.
    Jack, I did not mean to be too harsh on your work and I sincerely apologize if you took it that way. I appreciate the fact that we all need encouragement and positive feedback on our work, along with constructive criticism. I honestly thought that was what I was giving to you. The story is very good, your writing is very good, and I enjoy the detail in the sexfights. My point in the critical message that I sent to you was that there was a lot of information about the world that you were giving to us that, while it filled in the world, was also, perhaps, a bit too much information. My suggestion is that you build the world more gradually, layering in what information the reader needs while maintaining the focus on the erotic content. Over time, the various aspects of the world you are building will become clearer and the reader will be able to get a stronger sense of what the world is about.

This is something that you see in most good science fiction or fantasy. Very rarely does a writer simply give the reader a great deal of information about the world. Instead, it is gradually introduced through the actions, conversations and perspectives of the different characters. This is all that I meant.

I hope that you will continue to write your story and put it on HB.

Take care,

JB57
    JB57

Senior Hostboard Member

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Hey Jack,

I haven't been around the forum much lately but, after reading your comments here, I quickly brought myself up-to-date with the first episodes of your Eurasia stories. My immediate impression is that you've already got a lot of great characterization going on there, and are creating a rich, dynamic world with its own internal logic where trading, magic, war and espionage all take place, and rivalries are often settled between alpha females according to sexfighting codes of honor, leagues and other wiles. Personally, I find the world you are imagining original and compelling, and I'm interested to discover where this narrative arc will lead in future.

As someone who's posted a decent few episodes of my own stories in the past, I think its fair to say you're seeing a fairly typical response rate to your first posts, and I wouldn't be too disheartened by that. I also think that those who have offered feedback have done so in a way intended to be constructive rather than critical, even if that's not the way you may have perceived it entirely. I know for a fact from my years here that we invariably aim to nurture and encourage new writers rather than leave them feeling discouraged. So please don't feel you have to stop now, especially when your story is starting to get properly established.

Best wishes
    Ragnar0k

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar0k View Post
    Hey Jack,

I haven't been around the forum much lately but, after reading your comments here, I quickly brought myself up-to-date with the first episodes of your Eurasia stories. My immediate impression is that you've already got a lot of great characterization going on there, and are creating a rich, dynamic world with its own internal logic where trading, magic, war and espionage all take place, and rivalries are often settled between alpha females according to sexfighting codes of honor, leagues and other wiles. Personally, I find the world you are imagining original and compelling, and I'm interested to discover where this narrative arc will lead in future.

As someone who's posted a decent few episodes of my own stories in the past, I think its fair to say you're seeing a fairly typical response rate to your first posts, and I wouldn't be too disheartened by that. I also think that those who have offered feedback have done so in a way intended to be constructive rather than critical, even if that's not the way you may have perceived it entirely. I know for a fact from my years here that we invariably aim to nurture and encourage new writers rather than leave them feeling discouraged. So please don't feel you have to stop now, especially when your story is starting to get properly established.

Best wishes
    Ragnar0k
    Thank you,
    That was a generous,calm,nuanced ,sensible,reply with good advice.

Senior Hostboard Member Rivals_Rapture's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

Lightbulb Re: No more chapters on Eurasia

Mr. Ryan:

You asked me not to read your story in one of your emails to me, so I have not and will not. And though because of the foregoing I can't offer advice or input on the stories themselves, I do want to relay something.

I may be new to writing in this genre, but I am not new to communities where people write tales hoping their work is enjoyed and commented on by others.

And from my time in that field, I have found that it is 100% NATURAL to feel like your self-worth is inexorably tied to your stories. That any criticism. Any less than positive feedback. Any lack of excitement on your readers' behalf is a sign of a deep personal failure.

I struggle with this, and frankly, every good author I have ever spoken to does too. They may not admit it. They may not advertise it. But everyone who writes wants their stories to be read, enjoyed, and commented on.

And when a story seems to have a dip in readers, a lack of comments, or negative feedback levied against it, it's easy to the point of being cruel to feel as if the piece you spent so much effort and time on is either worthless or being unfairly judged -- the former being the voice of one's own self-doubt and the latter a defensive mechanism.

I can't tell you how to ignore or suppress those feelings, as they torment me as well. But I can tell you that the emotions that led to this post are what all of us feel.

It's part of being a writer -- part of being a creator who cares.
    Last edited by Rivals_Rapture; September 3rd, 2019 at 01:09 PM.

HB Forum Owner

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    47 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rivals_Rapture View Post
    Mr. Ryan:

You asked me not to read your story in one of your emails to me, so I have not and will not. And though because of the foregoing I can't offer advice or input on the stories themselves, I do want to relay something.

I may be new to writing in this genre, but I am not new communities where people write tales hoping their work is enjoyed and commented on by others.

And from my time in that field, I have found that it is 100% NATURAL to feel like your self-worth is inexorably tied to your stories. That any criticism. Any less than positive feedback. Any lack of excitement on your readers' behalf is a sign of a deep personal failure.

I struggle with this, and frankly, every good author I have ever spoken to does too. They may not admit it. They may not advertise it. But everyone who writes wants their stories to be read, enjoyed, and commented on.

And when a story seems to have a dip in readers, a lack of comments, or negative feedback levied against it, it's easy to the point of being cruel to feel as if the piece you spent so much effort and time on is either worthless or being unfairly judged -- the former being the voice own self-doubt and the latter a defensive mechanism.

I can't tell you how to ignore or suppress those feelings, as they torment me as well. But I can tell you that the emotions that led to this post are what all of us feel.

It's part of being a writer -- part of being a creator who cares.
    Well said, Rivals_rapture!
    AP

- - - Updated - - -

Jack,

I have, so far, only read part of your complex tale. And while it may take a second or even a third read for my elderly brain to finally grasp who's who, I will say something from the heart:

I know a talented writer when I read one and YOU are a talented (first time, in your own words) writer.

I agree with everyone else here. I urge you to KEEP AT IT and STAY WITH US. I think you may eventually come to realize that us "seniors" are indeed supportive of new writers.

Don't throw in the towel so easily, Jack. You've got talent. We all see that.

A. Penman

- - - Updated - - -

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

I don't pretend to be a great writer, but I was reading a thread where someone was making some points about how to 'correctly' write a sword & sorcery story. He was way to rigid in his views, I think, but he made the point that every Robert E. Howard (the recognized creator of the sword & sorcery genre) story began with some sort of action or fight scene. Over the course of the stories he built up a pretty elaborate world with different countries and cultures, but it was always done through description that supported the action in the story. What you are writing is much more complex than what Howard did, but, especially since this is a forum leaning more toward sexual action stories, that might help you as well.

Just my $0.02.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast