Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    151 Post(s)

Re: The Gift

I'm bumping up this masterpiece just because I like it so much!

JB57
    JB57

Senior Hostboard Member Johannesdk's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

Oh yes, it's such a good story. I wonder how many of you native English speakers ever knew the word: succubus ??

First I thought it was a word that our author just made up, but then I checked Wikipedia:

A succubus is a demon in female form, or supernatural entity in folklore (traced back to medieval legend), that appears in dreams and takes the form of a woman in order to seduce men, usually through sexual activity. The male counterpart to the succubus is the incubus. Religious traditions hold that repeated sexual activity with a succubus may result in the deterioration of health or mental state, or even death.

In modern representations, a succubus may or may not appear in dreams and is often depicted as a highly attractive seductress or enchantress; whereas, in the past, succubi were generally depicted as frightening or demonic.

Amazing, LOL!
    Johannes

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    151 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Johannesdk View Post
    Oh yes, it's such a good story. I wonder how many of you native English speakers ever knew the word: succubus ??

First I thought it was a word that our author just made up, but then I checked Wikipedia:

A succubus is a demon in female form, or supernatural entity in folklore (traced back to medieval legend), that appears in dreams and takes the form of a woman in order to seduce men, usually through sexual activity. The male counterpart to the succubus is the incubus. Religious traditions hold that repeated sexual activity with a succubus may result in the deterioration of health or mental state, or even death.

In modern representations, a succubus may or may not appear in dreams and is often depicted as a highly attractive seductress or enchantress; whereas, in the past, succubi were generally depicted as frightening or demonic.

Amazing, LOL!
    Johannes
    As a long time fantasy/horror/sci fi fan, I can say that I have been aware of "succubus" for a very long time. I recall a succubus being the focus of the classic horror TV show "Kolchak: The Night Stalker" from the mid-1970s! I also knew that the male counterpart to a succubus is an incubus. ;-)

As I mentioned in my earlier response to Catharsis, I have had a succubus story on the back burner for many years. Reading this story has given me the inspiration to finish it, or at least make a lot of progress on it. So far, the story is about 47 pages long and will probably top out at around 60. I hope to have it done within the next week or so and then I'll post it one chapter a night. I have consulted with Catharsis and he has given me permission to use the battle between Rowenna and the succubus in his story in my story, with appropriate changes and additions. I'll address all of this when the story goes up.

JB57
    JB57

HB Forum Owner
    The Gift

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

thank you so much ,great work

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yeah, I love this story too, really wish there would be a sequel, like the ghost comes back or something, that was one hot fight.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cassie21 View Post
    Yeah, I love this story too, really wish there would be a sequel, like the ghost comes back or something, that was one hot fight.
    Thank you. The challenge with writing a continuation to this is that the quality level of any sequel's twists and reveals have to be just as high as the original's. Otherwise the stakes won't feel as important.

The good news is that the sequel that's currently plotted out and has two chapters completed is shaping up to provide just as many thrills and surprises. Hopefully, it will turn out just as exciting and entertaining for you as it is to write. Can't promise a release date, though. Sorry. Don't mean to tease, just provide an update to last month's statement that there wasn't anything more planned for Rowenna.

"Consequences," Rowenna's mother always reminded her. "There will be consequences."

Senior Hostboard Member Johannesdk's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

Oh oh, that's really a teaser, LOL. It's incredible (and great) how the approaching winter seems to have inspired writers to publish top-quality stories (I'm aware that since Catharsis revealed how long time it took him to write this story, I'm know, it can't really be due to the winter).

Anyhow - I love the level of stories, including the latest from jack_ryan

Take care, blizzards might be approaching
    Johannes

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Johannesdk View Post
    Thanks for your detailed reply and general information, Catharsis. As my last published story (Sara and the timberyard) was about 4800 words, and I spent less than a couple of hours each time writing (and later polishing), then there is nothing unusual in that several weeks went by before I felt the story was ready. At that time I felt progress was VERY slow.

It didn't help that English not is my native language, one way or another it slows down the writing and it also unavoidably becomes harder to use a varied and sophisticated vocabulary. I know my old friend Giannis also wrestle with such issues.

I love long and "realistic" build-ups, so I enjoyed the entire first part of the story. You did put out a few breadcrumps of teasers as Rowenna rather early in the story hears those strange breathing and fighting sounds.

Thanks
    Johannes

Catharsis,This is a first for me but i have to say this.I am a passionate lover of deep fantasy as i have already said on many instances
    I am only about 5% into this story and i am a very instinctive person who has a strong success rate when it comes to getting a sense of reading great content ,mainstream or adult
    This may sound like a premature call but i will stick my neck out and say ( considering i am a business analyst in my real life )
    This HANDS DOWN is looking like one of the top 2 stories EVER written on the board
    I like the premise so much that i am postponing reading it and am reading one page a day
    I have done this ONLY FOR ANOTHER series which is a mainstream sorcery series called THE WHEEL OF TIME
    You are an exquiste Maestro as a writer.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)

Just a note to let everyone know that the sequel to this story has been written and will be posted soon once polishing is completed.

Junior Hostboard Member grazhopper05's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Catharsis View Post
    Just a note to let everyone know that the sequel to this story has been written and will be posted soon once polishing is completed.
    great news, big fan of your work so eagerly awaiting the sequel

Speaking of sequels, any chance you will write on for 'Four of a kind'? Thats one of my favourite stories and its just begging for a sequel as well

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast