Thread: Anyone using tools like yWriter ?

Senior Hostboard Member Johannesdk's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

Anyone using tools like yWriter ?

Hello out there

I recently stumbled over a word processor named yWriter (downloadable from spacejocks.com), it goes beyond MS Word when i comes to support of the creative process in writing a novel (or a full book for that matter).

It breaks the work up in project (the top level), chapters and scenes. Also it lets you define a list of characters and if they appear in a certain scene. And then of course, let you type the text for each scene.

I've only used MS Word for the few stories I've written, but it looks like yWriter might be better. Has any of you, who writes long stories (like JB57, Catharsis, Giannis and others ...) ever used a tool like that, and if so, how is your experiences ??

Take care out there
    Johannes

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    151 Post(s)

Re: Anyone using tools like yWriter ?

Quote Originally Posted by Johannesdk View Post
    Hello out there

I recently stumbled over a word processor named yWriter (downloadable from spacejocks.com), it goes beyond MS Word when i comes to support of the creative process in writing a novel (or a full book for that matter).

It breaks the work up in project (the top level), chapters and scenes. Also it lets you define a list of characters and if they appear in a certain scene. And then of course, let you type the text for each scene.

I've only used MS Word for the few stories I've written, but it looks like yWriter might be better. Has any of you, who writes long stories (like JB57, Catharsis, Giannis and others ...) ever used a tool like that, and if so, how is your experiences ??

Take care out there
    Johannes

Hi Johannes! No, I've never used anything like this. Is it mostly an organizational template?

When I write, I sometimes write a very brief and basic outline of the story that may include some key aspects of the sex scenes that I want to include. Mostly, however, I write from scratch, with a reasonably clear mental picture of where I want to go. In fact, I sometimes find that what keeps me going is the gratification of putting the meat on the bones of an idea and an outline sometimes spoils that, if that makes any sense.

Take care,

JB
    JB57

HB Forum Moderator AaronLassiter's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Johannesdk View Post
    Hello out there

Take care out there
    Johannes

I'll recommend Dabble as my favorite writing software. Scrivener is the go to for a lot of novel writers, but unless you're actually going for being published on a large scale it's not worth the investment.

Senior Hostboard Member Rivals_Rapture's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

I've seen apps like this, but just given the way my stories tend to be less fragmented scenes and instead one continuous narrative, I wouldn't expect it to be very useful. Also, at this point, I am about as deeply embedded into Google Docs as anyone can be.

Still, I am sure they are a great help for others. And anything that helps a writer feel more organized is certainly worth trying.

Senior Hostboard Member Johannesdk's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

Thank you for your thoughts.

yWriter is a free tool, but I haven't tried it yet. I even haven't yet googled after other writers experiences.

When I write, it's mostly done chronologically. After first pass, I then read and correct what's found to be corrected a couple of times. But the idea of dividing a story into not only chapters but also scenes, sounds appealing to me. I know that the tool automatically maintains a list of chapters and under each chapter a list of the scenes.

Also you can add a list of characters who appears in a scene.

If the story grows to be long, this seems to be a practical way of organizing the text and quickly navigating around the entire story.

The story can of course be exported in various formats.

Anyhow, thanks again everybody, I'll let you when I put it to a real test.
    Johannes

Senior Hostboard Member catfightlover40's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I own two similar programs, but only use them for more mainstream works, as they tend to be less fluid, and I don't always write for myself. My experience is that fetish readers on a kink website care more for the physical attributes and sensual prowess of a character than a distinct birthmark, or the establishment of a scene, where a detective realizes the witness in a case works for the criminal mastermind, because while they claimed to have botched an Indian dinner, the protagonist sill whiffs the faint, yet still remarkable notes of the pipe tobacco of his adversary. Scenes like that is why I use a more advanced processor, if I can't store it along with the 120 stories and concepts I constantly juggle in my head
    The home of my multi-part work: [URL]https://www.patreon.com/powelltothepeople[/URL]

The place where I can be commissioned: [URL]https://www.fiverr.com/cflover40[/URL]

What I use to "feed my birds": [URL="http://"https://twitter.com/powelltothepeo1/"]https://twitter.com/powelltothepeo1/[/URL]

Finally, the one where I'll post my e-books: Lulu, once I post the complete first episode of my story