Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

I feel this needs to be said

So, the well known author Dotti D has apparently decided to retire. Fair enough. I understand that these authors all do this in their free time in between their actual lives and jobs and it can become a problem for mental health. I have no problem with her or anyone else deciding to move on but the problem is what she did afterwards. She nuked her account on FreeCatFights and all her posts with it. That or the admins did it but I seriously doubt they’d do that without her say so.

Regardless, that was a giant middle finger to her readers and fans. I never got into her stories myself but I can only imagine how her fans must feel about that. I think most, if not all of us, like to reread stories we haven’t read in a while. I personally just got done rereading The Adventures of Angelica Dawn Private Eye. My second favorite story series on this site, surpassed only by the Maggie and Amber series and I had a great time revisiting it. It almost felt like I was reading it for the first time again.

So, that’s the point I’m trying to make. Every writer’s decision to retire or not is entirely up to them but do not punish your fans and deny them the joy of revisiting your work or prevent new people from discovering it. If I sound overly accusatory in this, I apologize. Maybe this wasn’t intentional or she had a reason related to her privacy or something along those lines but my point still stands. Walk away if you want to but don’t erase things that people love. I’d be devastated if some of my favorite stories were removed without a trace.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)

Re: I feel this needs to be said

I agree to infinity and beyond, with Yuri.

Sometimes, I myself will go back, way back and reread my favorite writer's earliest stories.
    Sometimes their vary first story. And I read them SLOW, if I can, lol.
    And I find things, I may have missed those first couple times.
    Things that are way hot = how did I miss that, sort'a thing.

So yes, please writers of this board, if you retire from writing and stop writing all together.
    Leave these (to me) works of adult literary art, on the board for your fans and future fans
    to read and reread, as I do, again and again.

Thank you Hostboard writers.

Junior Hostboard Member neuroleptic's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

It already happened with Whistler, and thanks to the fact that JB was ready and made several stories

Senior Hostboard Member YuriLesboLover's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by neuroleptic View Post
    It already happened with Whistler, and thanks to the fact that JB was ready and made several stories
    I’m not familiar with Whistler but it’s still a shame that stories got erased

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    153 Post(s)

Whistler's stories were great but, as neuroleptic indicated, I essentially rewrote most/all of them, so they are "saved" in a certain form. I believe that Rivals Rapture's site has them listed in their own category under my section.

The greatest example of what you are talking about is, to my mind, undoubtedly, the great Morton, whose stories are still (easily) among the very best in the genre. I often look at them for inspiration/ideas. However, I know from personal correspondence, that Morton had some very good and very personal reasons for erasing all his stories. I still live in hope that his circumstances will eventually change and he will resume writing. I would love to see another rematch between Lisa and Kathi from "The Last Resort", or more stories from the "Y" series!

Anyway, I can guarantee that I will leave up my stories after I stop writing- which, I hope, will not be for a long time yet!

JB57

An addendum: I just checked out RR's site and, indeed, there is a series under my section entitled "Whistler Series." There are three stories under that section. However, Whistler wrote seven stories and I did my versions of five. On RR's site, the "Cat and Panther" series is based off an original Whistler story called "Claws." My version of the story is called "Cats and Claws". Similarly, the series on RR's site entitled "The Kris Series" is based off a Whistler story. The original Whistler story was "For Fun and Profit." I rewrote it as "Part-Time Work." In both cases, obviously, I expanded the stories into series. I intend to revisit and write more stories about the characters in both series at some point.
    Last edited by JB57; January 29th, 2022 at 07:41 PM.
    JB57

Senior Hostboard Member Gradius's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)

I think the bigger question would be WHY would she delete her posts. Retiring from writing is one thing, but completely eliminating all your works to me smacks of covering your tracks. I was never into DD's writings since I found them too short and her style didn't appeal to me, but other people did and I can respect someone helping others to scratch an itch.

With that said, and with the current culture I wonder if she/he was in danger of being "cancelled" simply for writing fan work. That is usually what seems to make people want to sanitize their past. Might be something to think of.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JB57 View Post
    Whistler's stories were great but, as neuroleptic indicated, I essentially rewrote most/all of them, so they are "saved" in a certain form. I believe that Rivals Rapture's site has them listed in their own category under my section.

The greatest example of what you are talking about is, to my mind, undoubtedly the great Morton, whose stories are still (easily) among the very best in the genre. I often look at them for inspiration/ideas. However, I know from personal correspondence, that Morton had some very good and very personal reasons for erasing all his stories. I still live in hope that his circumstances will eventually change and he will resume writing. I would love to see another rematch between Lisa and Kathi from "The Last Resort", or more stories from the "Y" series!

Anyway, I can guarantee that I will leave up my stories after I stop writing- which, I hope, will not be for a long time yet!

JB57

An addendum: I just checked out RR's site and, indeed, there is a series under my section entitled "Whistler Series." There are three stories under that section. However, Whistler wrote seven stories and I did my versions of five. On RR's site, the "Cat and Panther" series is based off an original Whistler story called "Claws." My version of the story is called "Cats and Claws". Similarly, the series on RR's site entitled "The Kris Series" is based off a Whister story. The original Whistler story was "For Fun and Profit." I rewrote it as "Part-Time Work." In both cases, obviously, I expanded the stories into series. I intend to revisit and write more stories about the characters in both series at some point.
    Well, thank you kindly for preserving what you could. Our kink is obscure enough as it is and I hate to see stories given the Fahrenheit 451 treatment

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yuri*****Lover View Post
    So, the well known author Dotti D has apparently decided to retire. Fair enough. I understand that these authors all do this in their free time in between their actual lives and jobs and it can become a problem for mental health. I have no problem with her or anyone else deciding to move on but the problem is what she did afterwards. She nuked her account on FreeCatFights and all her posts with it. That or the admins did it but I seriously doubt they’d do that without her say so.

Regardless, that was a giant middle finger to her readers and fans. I never got into her stories myself but I can only imagine how her fans must feel about that. I think most, if not all of us, like to reread stories we haven’t read in a while. I personally just got done rereading The Adventures of Angelica Dawn Private Eye. My second favorite story series on this site, surpassed only by the Maggie and Amber series and I had a great time revisiting it. It almost felt like I was reading it for the first time again.

So, that’s the point I’m trying to make. Every writer’s decision to retire or not is entirely up to them but do not punish your fans and deny them the joy of revisiting your work or prevent new people from discovering it. If I sound overly accusatory in this, I apologize. Maybe this wasn’t intentional or she had a reason related to her privacy or something along those lines but my point still stands. Walk away if you want to but don’t erase things that people love. I’d be devastated if some of my favorite stories were removed without a trace.
    I guess I take a different view on this. The author shares the stories that they write, but those stories always remain their work. If they decide to remove their works, that's their decision to make. They never "owe" the readers anything.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    153 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cyberj View Post
    I guess I take a different view on this. The author shares the stories that they write, but those stories always remain their work. If they decide to remove their works, that's their decision to make. They never "owe" the readers anything.
    To be honest, I agree with you. Writers own their own work and if they choose to remove it - for whatever reason -that is their business. I can guarantee that I will never do so (barring some unforeseen circumstances) but I can respect the desire of others to control what they have done and determine whether or not they want their work to be available.

I do think this is a somewhat complex subject, however. Do writers "owe" their readers anything? I don't have an easy answer to that. Speaking for myself, I decide what I think I owe my readers. I appreciate praise and expressions of interest for my stories and that is why I post them. On the other hand, I have had issues in the past with some readers who insist that I write sequels to particular stories that they like. While I appreciate people liking the story enough to make such a demand, they certainly have no right to make such a demand. From this, I would argue that I have the right to decide what obligations I owe my readers. If I choose to take down my stories, that is my business.

In the past, I have shared Morton stories with others privately, but I have never posted them on the board, because he took them down and had his reasons for doing so. If I felt he had no right to take them down, I would have just posted them. But the desires of the writer have to matter. The same is true with Whistler. I have his stories but I won't post them.

JB
    JB57

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JB57 View Post
    To be honest, I agree with you. Writers own their own work and if they choose to remove it - for whatever reason -that is their business. I can guarantee that I will never do so (barring some unforeseen circumstances) but I can respect the desire of others to control what they have done and determine whether or not they want their work to be available.

I do think this is a somewhat complex subject, however. Do writers "owe" their readers anything? I don't have an easy answer to that. Speaking for myself, I decide what I think I owe my readers. I appreciate praise and expressions of interest for my stories and that is why I post them. On the other hand, I have had issues in the past with some readers who insist that I write sequels to particular stories that they like. While I appreciate people liking the story enough to make such a demand, they certainly have no right to make such a demand. From this, I would argue that I have the right to decide what obligations I owe my readers. If I choose to take down my stories, that is my business.

In the past, I have shared Morton stories with others privately, but I have never posted them on the board, because he took them down and had his reasons for doing so. If I felt he had no right to take them down, I would have just posted them. But the desires of the writer have to matter. The same is true with Whistler. I have his stories but I won't post them.

JB
    “I can guarantee that I will never do so”. Oh, thank God. You’re the most respected writer on this site for a reason. Your work introduced me to this site in the first place. I can’t imagine how devastated I or many others would be if your work was lost.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast