Thread: How do people prefer stories to be formatted?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)

Question How do people prefer stories to be formatted?

Something I was wondering back when I was uploading Red Twin x Blue Twin, was how to upload it to the board. At the time, I opted to upload it all in one thread because I assumed I would be able to edit the name of the thread to inform potential readers that a new chapter was out, 'Red Twin x Blue Twin - chapter 3 upload', for example.

I thought it would be convenient for everyone if it was all together sequentially in one place, but then I realised it wasn't possible to change the thread name, and that I would just have to assume people would see that I had commented on the thread and realise it was a new chapter being uploaded, not me saying 'thank you!!' to someone.

So now that I am uploading (Al)Chemical Solution (hint hint), I am not sure if a massive long wall thread of text is really that inviting or convenient. (And it doesn't help that I have so much trouble editing on hostboard, the story constantly being censored if I make any adjustments to font or text size!!!)

I would massively appreciate hearing the thoughts and preference of anyone still reading after all this rambling lol

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    153 Post(s)

Re: How do people prefer stories to be formatted?

Good question. I used to upload each part of my stories in separate threads but I now try to upload the whole story in one thread and hope that people will realize a new part has been uploaded when it gets bounced to the top of the page. One possible way of keeping the whole story at the top is to estimate how many parts you will need and then replying to the thread after you post it the number of times that equals each part. Then, later, you can go back in and "edit" that reserved message by adding another part. I think this would work, though I have not tried it.

So, the answer I give is that I now put it all in one thread. I used to do each part separately, but I can't recall why I stopped. I think that finding earlier parts was sometimes a hassle. Also, I think this new way is more efficient. I don't object at all, however, to people uploading each part of a story separately, which many (maybe even most) writers still do.

JB
    JB57

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JB57 View Post
    Good question. I used to upload each part of my stories in separate threads but I now try to upload the whole story in one thread and hope that people will realize a new part has been uploaded when it gets bounced to the top of the page. One possible way of keeping the whole story at the top is to estimate how many parts you will need and then replying to the thread after you post it the number of times that equals each part. Then, later, you can go back in and "edit" that reserved message by adding another part. I think this would work, though I have not tried it.

So, the answer I give is that I now put it all in one thread. I used to do each part separately, but I can't recall why I stopped. I think that finding earlier parts was sometimes a hassle. Also, I think this new way is more efficient. I don't object at all, however, to people uploading each part of a story separately, which many (maybe even most) writers still do.

JB
    Thanks for the reply! That idea makes a lot of sense too!

Senior Hostboard Member Anubisx's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JB57 View Post

JB
    My exact thoughts.
    MY SEXFIGHT E-BOOKS: Anubisx's Amazon

MY DEVIANTART: Anubisx's DeviantART

MY LAST SEXFIGHT E-BOOK: Resort Showdown

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)

I prefer one thread for one story. One thread per chapter can clutter the board and other threads can get lost in between. Another point is, that One thread per chapter can make it hard to find a story again after some time.

What I try to do, and would encourage others to do as well, is using deviding a story into little chapters so it is easier to find where you had stopped in long stories and readers could easily skip parts that are not as interesting to them.