Thread: How much drama in a story is too much?

Senior Hostboard Member YuriLesboLover's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

How much drama in a story is too much?

Hey, everyone. So, I have finals coming up soon, so my break will be for another couple weeks but after that, I will start my next story, which I will call “Lusty Lives”. It will certainly be something. I was gonna do that Bruce Lee parody story like I said in my previous posts but this one will be very unique and almost like two totally different stories in one. Okay, that little update is out of the way. Now onto the real discussion. How much drama in a story is too much?

We all know why we read these stories but a decent amount of them have some genuine drama and compelling stories behind them. I feel the perfect example of this is, of course, the Maggie and Amber series. The love story between them, especially during their little spat between Maggie’s first fight with Bianca and the Library Gala was very compelling and well written. It made us read the story for more than just the sex. That being said, it never took the drama too far or overemphasized it to the point where it became distracting from the sex.

One example of a story that did just that and then some was a literotica story I read a few years ago whose name I forget. It’s about a man and his wife having a threeway relationship with the man’s best female friend. It was pretty hot and there was some genuine drama with the man and his rather shy, prudish wife coming out of her shell but towards the end it goes WAYYYYYY overboard. The wife tells the story of a lesbian experience with her old College roommate and her strict religious parents disapproving. She later finds out that her roommate also had similar parents and that the roommate killed herself after their encounter.

That was already too much drama but what happens next makes that look tame. The wife, out of guilt and grief, goes insane and tries to kill both her husband and their friend before killing herself. The story actually goes on after that, shoehorns in a political message about guns that is sure to alienate many readers and then the husband and friend go on to replace the wife with a nurse from the hospital. At that point, I was so taken out of the mood by the extreme change in tone and found that last part so tasteless that I stopped reading it.

So…Yeah. That right there I feel is the perfect example of too much drama in a story while I feel that Maggie and Amber is the perfect example of just the right amount. Another good example is Brandi’s Opus. For the most part, it’s a lighthearted series about the various shenanigans of our leading lady and her girlfriends but there is genuine drama when a few of those girlfriends have to leave her and she becomes depressed over it. Still, she never loses her lovable optimism and keeps moving forward.

That being said, most stories I’ve read here don’t bother with that kind of thing at all and are all about the fun. I love stories like that too. Bottomline, just do whatever works for you as a writer. I myself had some drama in my Cops and Robbers series, mostly in regards to Jasmine and Ben. I actually did consider having Ben die from his cancer but I felt that would be too sad and have too much drama for the story and I’m glad I did because he basically became Jasmine’s superpower in her more intense fights.

Don’t take this as a sign of what you can expect from Lusty Lives. There will be a little bit of drama in that one but it will be minimal. I just wanted to get your opinions on something while also giving you an update on what you can expect from me in the future. The story I work on after that will be the Bruce Lee Game of Death parody I talked about before and that one will be pure dumb fun from start to finish. Almost a comedy in its ridiculousness.

Senior Hostboard Member Giannis-CB's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    83 Post(s)

Re: How much drama in a story is too much?

Yuri,

First, I wish you good luck with your upcoming exams. I hope that after the finals, you will start writing “Lusty Lives” as you updated us. I can hardly wait to read it.

Now : regarding your interesting post : Of course, It has mostly to do with my taste and how I “interpret” in my mind the word “drama” you used. Each of all the rest members here may have the same or a different opinion about what “drama” means.

For me, drama (in an erotic story) is the sum of 2 important factors :
    1/ the plot
    2/ the feelings of the main characters of the story. How each of them feels for all the rest). Here I include the tension (erotic or not) between them.

All the rest is action. Mostly erotic (sexfights) and/or physical (catfights).

So... each story should contain some action and some drama.

We all like a story we read here to contain a lot of hot action (whatever kind of action we prefer).
    Now… Some of us, prefer the story to contain mostly hot action. The rest also want a lot of hot action but they also like some drama (or quite some drama) to be contained.

IMPORTANT : To close this theoretical approach, as all the writers know, many times the characters we build goad us on what we will write next… More action, a deeper description of feelings, etc.

Now, speaking about myself : I am one of those who prefer a story to contain a lot of hot action and quite some drama.

To close… even the same writer, other times writes stories full of action and other times, it includes some more drama. Each time a writer writes a story (or a part of it), the plot of the story and the characters the writer uses, lead the writer on how to write the story.

LAST NOTE : Another very important factor is the writer’s mood at the specific time the writer writes a story or a part of it. First of all this may have an infuence at the quality of the story. However, it may have an influence on how much drama and what kind of drama the writer contains in the story.

My 5 cents...
    Last edited by Giannis-CB; May 12th, 2022 at 02:23 AM.

Senior Hostboard Member Gradius's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)

Bringing any kind of politics into it I feel makes it kind of tasteless and could lead to threads getting derailed as people from either side of an argument go at it.

On the whole I operate on a off the cuff style of writing. Going back and adding or removing as the story evolves or changes. Drama during or after a fight can be taken at a moderate pace, but if it occurs during a fight it should match the pace instead of slowing it down.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)

I don't have a clear limit, sometimes I can get carried away by writing a good story, the only thing I can't stand is a confrontation where someone wants to hurt or harm a person (and other extreme things)

Now talking more about the topic of drama

There are several challenges to face when applying drama, the first is the viewer himself (of sexual fights) they will only pay attention to the sexual part and the second is that perhaps, like it happened to you, the drama takes them out of the immersion of the story.

They are enormous challenges but I believe that each writer must face when writing his own desires, I admire GMC10 and how he published "THE SEDUCTION" an incestuous story and at the same time a story with a friendly rivalry. Also the aforementioned Library Gala, which is the longest story I know of, which has had a competitive lesbian couple.

I for example, am writing a story of sexual rivalry between girlfriends, even knowing that the majority seeks enmities pures.

So in my opinion, apply as much drama as you can handle and readers who match your limit are going to show up or even form thanks to your story.
    Last edited by Canary-; May 12th, 2022 at 12:36 AM.

HB Forum Owner
    How much drama in a story is too much?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    47 Post(s)

Yuri,

You raise an interesting topic here. I like that questions like this get asked every so often in this forum. A while back, Rivals_rapture began asking questions like this. I believe her motives were to get us to consider various aspects of story writing. Perhaps she was asking in order to get an idea of each individual writer’s approach. Now you’re asking them, and I believe that your motives are similar. Anyway…

DRAMA:

I hadn’t given this matter much or any consideration until now, but I guess I look at drama as a writers tool. My primary tool, just in case it wasn’t obvious, is humor or satire. But I do like to inject a dose of emotion when I think the situation warrants its use. Emotional moments, in my humble opinion, help to round out the personality of the character. But I don’t like when drama is so thick that it becomes melodrama.

What we write here will not likely be given serious consideration in more traditional literary circles. Let’s face it, sexfight writing is pure niche. But that doesn’t mean we can’t, or don’t need to strive for good writing. I often wonder if any of us use this milieu as a skill sharpening exercise for other writing that they do.

Anyway, I’m not a fan of one dimensional characters. The range of human emotions is vast. I like smart/intelligent wisecracking women who aren’t afraid to cry, as much as I like wisecracking women who aren’t afraid to talk smack while they bump and grind. An interesting story helps too.

So, drama use is always up to the author. My only piece of advice would be “use it wisely.” I hope I’m not starting to sound like the “old sage” here. Just my 99 cents for anyone who wants it, and I am open for discussion about this. I find threads like this interesting.

AP

Senior Hostboard Member kamafight's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    54 Post(s)

I do occasionally like stories with slow build ups. For me, if the drama is interlaced with foreplay between the characters, it is OK.

I hope some day, somebody writers a long sexfight novel with many dramatic elements.

I once had this idea to write a novel about DWW wrestling women - how they were recruited, their life in DWW, centered around a love-hate relationship between two wrestlers and a sex trafficker villain who is trying to harm the women.

Senior Hostboard Member kamafight's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    54 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by apenman View Post
    Yuri,

You raise an interesting topic here. I like that questions like this get asked every so often in this forum. A while back, Rivals_rapture began asking questions like this. I believe her motives were to get us to consider various aspects of story writing. Perhaps she was asking in order to get an idea of each individual writer’s approach. Now you’re asking them, and I believe that your motives are similar. Anyway…

DRAMA:

I hadn’t given this matter much or any consideration until now, but I guess I look at drama as a writers tool. My primary tool, just in case it wasn’t obvious, is humor or satire. But I do like to inject a dose of emotion when I think the situation warrants its use. Emotional moments, in my humble opinion, help to round out the personality of the character. But I don’t like when drama is so thick that it becomes melodrama.

What we write here will not likely be given serious consideration in more traditional literary circles. Let’s face it, sexfight writing is pure niche. But that doesn’t mean we can’t, or don’t need to strive for good writing. I often wonder if any of us use this milieu as a skill sharpening exercise for other writing that they do.

Anyway, I’m not a fan of one dimensional characters. The range of human emotions is vast. I like smart/intelligent wisecracking women who aren’t afraid to cry, as much as I like wisecracking women who aren’t afraid to talk smack while they bump and grind. An interesting story helps too.

So, drama use is always up to the author. My only piece of advice would be “use it wisely.” I hope I’m not starting to sound like the “old sage” here. Just my 99 cents for anyone who wants it, and I am open for discussion about this. I find threads like this interesting.

AP
    I think you are the guy to write the sexfight novel, apenman

Senior Hostboard Member Giannis-CB's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    83 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kamafight View Post
    I do occasionally like stories with slow build ups. For me, if the drama is interlaced with foreplay between the characters, it is OK.

I hope some day, somebody writers a long sexfight novel with many dramatic elements.

I once had this idea to write a novel about DWW wrestling women - how they were recruited, their life in DWW, centered around a love-hate relationship between two wrestlers and a sex trafficker villain who is trying to harm the women.
    Interesting Idea Kama ! Do it ! You have written some great sexfight stories among women here. You can do it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by apenman View Post
    I look at drama as a writers tool. My primary tool, just in case it wasn’t obvious, is humor or satire. But I do like to inject a dose of emotion when I think the situation warrants its use. Emotional moments, in my humble opinion, help to round out the personality of the character. But I don’t like when drama is so thick that it becomes melodrama.

What we write here will not likely be given serious consideration in more traditional literary circles. Let’s face it, sexfight writing is pure niche.But that doesn’t mean we can’t, or don’t need to strive for good writing. I often wonder if any of us use this milieu as a skill sharpening exercise for other writing that they do.

I like smart/intelligent wisecracking women who aren’t afraid to cry, as much as I like wisecracking women who aren’t afraid to talk smack while they bump and grind. An interesting story helps too.

So, drama use is always up to the author. My only piece of advice would be “use it wisely.”

AP
    Wise words by one of the top writers here !! I used bold fonts and/or different color to put emphasis what i liked more. Without to underestimate all the rest you wrote.

Senior Hostboard Member YuriLesboLover's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

I’m all done with finals but after the stressful week I’ve had, I just wanna take the weekend off for some R&R. On Monday, I’ll start my new story, Lusty Lives. It’s a bit of an unusual concept but I hope you’ll enjoy it