Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    155 Post(s)

Re: Licensed to Fuck: Part 1

Quote Originally Posted by pjaz12345 View Post
    So damn excited for this saga. Contrary opinion - Real world geopolitical conflicts expressed through secret sexual fights between spies is pretty exciting to me.
    Hi! When I said I did not agree with the politics, I meant that I did not agree with the portrayal of China as the "bad guy" in this scenario. In principle, I have no objection to people using political themes to inspire their stories, though I would not do so myself. I take my politics too seriously for that.

JB
    JB57

Senior Hostboard Member YuriLesboLover's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    28 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JB57 View Post
    Hi! When I said I did not agree with the politics, I meant that I did not agree with the portrayal of China as the "bad guy" in this scenario. In principle, I have no objection to people using political themes to inspire their stories, though I would not do so myself. I take my politics too seriously for that.

JB
    The premise was also inspired by your WWIII story, in which the villains were both Russian. I considered doing that but I felt that would be too derivative. Besides, I feel Russian villains have become kind of cliche. No offense. Yeah, this is probably the last time I’ll do something like this. I’d rather not open a can of worms in a community that’s largely very wholesome and welcoming.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Giannis-CB View Post
    JB wrote : "This has the feel - as intended -of a 1960s James Bond novel. Great start! "

I have that feeling too ! I fully agree with JB !!
    We have read/watched "female versions" of James Bond.
    Jamie is not only a female version of James Bond. It is something more !
    Jamie (I guess that Jamie, the heroines name, was chosen as it is close to James), looks like a nympho version of James !!
    James Bond himself was basically a male nympho, so it works.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    155 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by YuriLesboLover View Post
    The premise was also inspired by your WWIII story, in which the villains were both Russian. I considered doing that but I felt that would be too derivative. Besides, I feel Russian villains have become kind of cliche. No offense. Yeah, this is probably the last time I’ll do something like this. I’d rather not open a can of worms in a community that’s largely very wholesome and welcoming.

- - - Updated - - -

James Bond himself was basically a male nympho, so it works.
    Hi! I understand completely. World War III, as you know. was a rewrite of Whistler's story and so I used his premise. I thought it was kind of tongue in cheek and, at the time, Russia was not regarded as public enemy number one in the West, so I did not feel that the possibility of feeding negative stereotypes was too great. If I had to do it again today, I might change the Russian women's backgrounds - though I really like them and hope to use them in other stories in the future.

Looking forward to part 2 with bated breath!

JB
    JB57

Senior Hostboard Member YuriLesboLover's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    28 Post(s)

Hi! I understand completely. World War III, as you know. was a rewrite of Whistler's story and so I used his premise. I thought it was kind of tongue in cheek and, at the time, Russia was not regarded as public enemy number one in the West, so I did not feel that the possibility of feeding negative stereotypes was too great. If I had to do it again today, I might change the Russian women's backgrounds - though I really like them and hope to use them in other stories in the future.

Looking forward to part 2 with bated breath!

JB
    I see. Yeah, villainizing certain countries is crossing into rough waters. Even if it’s just aimed at governments and not the people themselves. Next time I do stories like this, the villains will always be criminal organizations, terrorists and/or evil corporations, all of which will be purely fictional like Las Brujas in 732. That won’t risk stepping on any toes.

- - - Updated - - -

Also great to hear that you might revisit that story. I feel it’s your most underrated.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by YuriLesboLover View Post
    Next time I do stories like this, the villains will always be criminal organizations, terrorists and/or evil corporations, all of which will be purely fictional like Las Brujas in 732. That won’t risk stepping on any toes.
    IMHO an author should make his decisions based solely on what works best for the story at hand. We are all adults here (I assume) and can differentiate between fiction and reality. We won't consider all Chinese people to be villains nor would we consider all women to be sluts after reading one of your stories. Your primary goal shouldn't be to not offend anyone because you are severely restricting your creative freedom and if someone wants to be offended he will find a reason anyway...

Junior Hostboard Member pjaz12345's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

JB
    I see your take on it a bit more clearly now. Though I'm a bit inclined towards Yuri's approach. In my perspective I don't see the bad guy , good guy while I'm reading a particular story , i see it from the perspective of the character and the perspective will always be a bit biased. I see more of it as a possibility like a grounded version of a geopolitical conflict, the politics just being the fuel , the buildup , just a theme but the creativity makes it relatable , like a delicate but fine balance between wishful thinking & fantasy and realism.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    155 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pjaz12345 View Post
    I see your take on it a bit more clearly now. Though I'm a bit inclined towards Yuri's approach. In my perspective I don't see the bad guy , good guy while I'm reading a particular story , i see it from the perspective of the character and the perspective will always be a bit biased. I see more of it as a possibility like a grounded version of a geopolitical conflict, the politics just being the fuel , the buildup , just a theme but the creativity makes it relatable , like a delicate but fine balance between wishful thinking & fantasy and realism.

I like this take.

JB
    JB57