Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

Re: Licensed to Fuck: Part 1

Quote Originally Posted by JB57 View Post
    Hi! I understand completely. World War III, as you know. was a rewrite of Whistler's story and so I used his premise. I thought it was kind of tongue in cheek and, at the time, Russia was not regarded as public enemy number one in the West, so I did not feel that the possibility of feeding negative stereotypes was too great. If I had to do it again today, I might change the Russian women's backgrounds - though I really like them and hope to use them in other stories in the future.

Looking forward to part 2 with bated breath!

JB
    I see. Yeah, villainizing certain countries is crossing into rough waters. Even if it’s just aimed at governments and not the people themselves. Next time I do stories like this, the villains will always be criminal organizations, terrorists and/or evil corporations, all of which will be purely fictional like Las Brujas in 732. That won’t risk stepping on any toes.

- - - Updated - - -

Also great to hear that you might revisit that story. I feel it’s your most underrated.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    153 Post(s)

Hi Yuri,

One of the things to remember about China is that the vast majority of its citizens support the government. When you look at how incredibly far and fast China has come in just a few decades -especially the past 20 years - that's not hard to understand.

Anyway, I am sorry about bringing up politics at all. I don't want you to feel self-conscious about this and I hope it doesn't affect your story. You've got a really compelling premise going and I really am looking forward to what you are going to do with it!

JB
    JB57

Junior Hostboard Member pjaz12345's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Hi! When I said I did not agree with the politics, I meant that I did not agree with the portrayal of China as the "bad guy" in this scenario. In principle, I have no objection to people using political themes to inspire their stories, though I would not do so myself. I take my politics too seriously for that.

JB
    I see your take on it a bit more clearly now. Though I'm a bit inclined towards Yuri's approach. In my perspective I don't see the bad guy , good guy while I'm reading a particular story , i see it from the perspective of the character and the perspective will always be a bit biased. I see more of it as a possibility like a grounded version of a geopolitical conflict, the politics just being the fuel , the buildup , just a theme but the creativity makes it relatable , like a delicate but fine balance between wishful thinking & fantasy and realism.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    153 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pjaz12345 View Post
    I see your take on it a bit more clearly now. Though I'm a bit inclined towards Yuri's approach. In my perspective I don't see the bad guy , good guy while I'm reading a particular story , i see it from the perspective of the character and the perspective will always be a bit biased. I see more of it as a possibility like a grounded version of a geopolitical conflict, the politics just being the fuel , the buildup , just a theme but the creativity makes it relatable , like a delicate but fine balance between wishful thinking & fantasy and realism.

I like this take.

JB
    JB57

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by YuriLesboLover View Post
    Next time I do stories like this, the villains will always be criminal organizations, terrorists and/or evil corporations, all of which will be purely fictional like Las Brujas in 732. That won’t risk stepping on any toes.
    IMHO an author should make his decisions based solely on what works best for the story at hand. We are all adults here (I assume) and can differentiate between fiction and reality. We won't consider all Chinese people to be villains nor would we consider all women to be sluts after reading one of your stories. Your primary goal shouldn't be to not offend anyone because you are severely restricting your creative freedom and if someone wants to be offended he will find a reason anyway...

Senior Hostboard Member YuriLesboLover's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

Hi Yuri,

One of the things to remember about China is that the vast majority of its citizens support the government. When you look at how incredibly far and fast China has come in just a few decades -especially the past 20 years - that's not hard to understand.

Anyway, I am sorry about bringing up politics at all. I don't want you to feel self-conscious about this and I hope it doesn't affect your story. You've got a really compelling premise going and I really am looking forward to what you are going to do with it!

JB
    Another thing to remember is that the people aren’t given much of a choice in supporting the government. I appreciate your desire for me not to be self-conscious about this but I guess I just can’t help but feel a bit uncomfortable given that I’ve always seen this site as an escape. Ah, well. I’m in too deep now. I don’t want to deprive anyone genuinely interested in this story of seeing where it’s headed. That would be more of an insult than anything else and it would make me look like a coward. Besides, while this site is extremely friendly and laidback for the most part, there have been some melodramatic troublemakers once in a blue moon. Remember Jack Ryan a few years back?

Regardless, I took a gamble on making this story and I have read stories on other sites that had politics I disagreed with, so I feel it’s only fair.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by herbert3000 View Post
    IMHO an author should make his decisions based solely on what works best for the story at hand. We are all adults here (I assume) and can differentiate between fiction and reality. We won't consider all Chinese people to be villains nor would we consider all women to be sluts after reading one of your stories. Your primary goal shouldn't be to not offend anyone because you are severely restricting your creative freedom and if someone wants to be offended he will find a reason anyway...
    I understand and thanks for your support. I guess another fear of mine would be that stories like this might possibly open the floodgates to much more politically charged stories that are much more shameless with its biases and that might take away from what a lot of people enjoy about this site and alienate people but the odds of that happening are small and if it does get out of hand, the admins could step in. But at the end of the day, it’s all just smut. If anyone decides to take it seriously and get bent out of shape over it, it’s on them.
    Last edited by YuriLesboLover; February 4th, 2024 at 12:46 PM.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    153 Post(s)

Dear Yuri,

Sorry. One of my bugbears is the situation in the modern world, where I feel that a lot of people don't know much about China or evaluate it (often very hypocritically) through Western lens that don't make much sense. I feel this is creating tension and unnecessary conflict in the world at a time when we really need much greater cooperation.

There actually is "democracy" in China at the lower levels in that people do vote for their representatives at the municipal and other levels. At the highest levels they don't but, again, every reliable survey we have is that the great majority of people really do support the government because of the belief that it has performed very well. If you look at China's levels of development and the speed with which it has taken place, it is easy to understand this. In every country in the world, democratic or not, people judge their government on how well it performs.

Nonetheless, I agree with everything you have written and I want you to continue writing from whatever political perspective is comfortable for you. As a reader, I don't have to read what I don't like. In this case, I'm really looking forward to your story and I plan to read every word - probably several times!

JB
    JB57

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

Dear Yuri,

Sorry. One of my bugbears is the situation in the modern world, where I feel that a lot of people don't know much about China or evaluate it (often very hypocritically) through Western lens that don't make much sense. I feel this is creating tension and unnecessary conflict in the world at a time when we really need much greater cooperation.

There actually is "democracy" in China at the lower levels in that people do vote for their representatives at the municipal and other levels. At the highest levels they don't but, again, every reliable survey we have is that the great majority of people really do support the government because of the belief that it has performed very well. If you look at China's levels of development and the speed with which it has taken place, it is easy to understand this. In every country in the world, democratic or not, people judge their government on how well it performs.

Nonetheless, I agree with everything you have written and I want you to continue writing from whatever political perspective is comfortable for you. As a reader, I don't have to read what I don't like. In this case, I'm really looking forward to your story and I plan to read every word - probably several times!

JB
    I understand and I look forward to your feedback. I have my biases myself in that I am a die hard believer in freedom of speech and expression. Regardless, I promise the actual sex, what we all look forward to will be worth it.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

Anyway, next part should be up by Wednesday, give or take. Friday at the absolute latest.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12