Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Wink

I think that not only Jessika but all board members would like it very much to watch more covers similar to this magnific digital copy!

Also, when a book disappeared from both the publisher's stock, and second hand bookstores, would it be a crime to scan and publish it all, or chapters of it, on the Internet, say, in an adults only board like this ;-)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I believe copyrighted materials (such as the books you referred to) are typically protected for many years. For corporations who have bought the copyright, the materials are protected from publication in whole or in part for up to 75 years. For authors who have their own materials copyrighted, the copyright protects them for their lifetime plus 50 years.
    Not a copyright lawyer, but that's a starting point.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

It's up to MikeJV of course, but since the publisher is no longer seeing any money from sales I don't think it would be bad to post them here.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I've been thinking about it, and I'm ok with you posting it here if you want to, but if any official trouble comes my way about it I'll delete the posts and direct them to you. It's unlikely that there'll be any trouble, but if there is you're taking it. That's my official statement and I'm sticking to it.

MikeJV

Senior Hostboard Member Ted Mark's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Cool

Take care folks.

There is what is called "Quotation for purposes of review".

This is a quote that can be represented as "giving an example of what is contained" and an encouragement to buy the whole product.

Excerpts of the "good parts" for our kind of purpose is generally thought of as a "Quotation for purposes of review". Why? Because is does not REPLACE the original in any way. Showiing Cover Art is usually concidered a "Quotation for purposes of review", too.

That is why "clips" messageboards can operate, showing the sexy scenes. It's too much trouble to "prove" motive in court. You can't "prove" showing the sexy bits depletes sales.

What causes the trouble is disgruntled and revenge seeking buttholes who complain to messge board hosts who deleats sites just to avoid litigation. We are safe from that here because Mike is his own Host. Am I right on that Mike?

Ted 2

[img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img]

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ February 02, 2007 09:54 AM: Message edited by: Ted Mark ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well, based on what Ted just said I'd have to say..... uh *scratches head* yes. Just post the "good parts" of the books (aka: the fights) and we should be cool with everyone.

MikeJV

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Wink

Ted Mark wrote,
    ?Excerpts of the "good parts" for our kind of purpose is generally thought of as a "Quotation for purposes of review". (...) You can't "prove" showing the sexy bits depletes sales.?

Mike seems to have taken the right decision, though I do not like to read bits of pages, but to read or peruse the full length books.

Also, I was thinking that there is no crime, copyright infringement, when you share a book that is no longer available from the publisher, the publisher no longer exists, the author can't be traced to an address, and the book is not even available in second hand dealers!

It was indeed a promising cover that prompted me into asking for the book to be made available, as what had been said about it, and the cover, promised several fights in different chapters between tough bikers. That makes for good reading, I'm sure.

I checked the net for the author, and the book, before "inviting you to commit a copyright crime"! If I had found it, I would have paid the twenty bucks or whatever for the pleasure of reading it, but nope, I ain't found nuthin'. Does someone knows better?

Author, stop lurking on this hostboard, and please give us your phone, so we can buy your stock of pulp whiplashing fighting bikers' fiction ;-)