Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: can we ever know anything immediately?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question... the reactions of the worms... was this the FIRST time they encountered the "strange" circumstances? Did they react any differently when confronted with the circumstances a second time? And perhaps the "brain" of these worms was not evolved to respond to or remember things occuring in their outside environment. Perhaps the brain has some internal functioning, like digestion, or somesuch that wasn't measured for.

*shrug* Or maybe I'm completely out of my depth here.

wink

------------------
    Give me an edit button, and I'll moderate the WORLD!!!

The Neil & Neal Show

That's our eris! Shy, reserved, prone to pounding helpless arachnids... ~ 5Cats

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question

there was an experiment set on two types of worms (do not have proper names, but will find if necessary). worm A was an evolutionary beginning--relied heavily on sensation from all points of possible perception.
    worm B was different in the fact that it had a tiny cluster of cells (brain?) centrally located in its head--allowing sensory information to pass through in order for the body to reply to perception.

both worms were studied in a 'natural' lab environment--glass boxes filled with various material: earth, grass, moisture, etc.

when heat was applied to the area surrounding the worm(s), reflex was noted to be similar.

when half of the glass box contained a dried area of ground and a moist area of ground, the worm(s) responded similarily to keeping within the moist areas.

given this information:

1) why did nature evolve worm B into a worm
    with a 'brain' if obviously both reactions
    were the same regardless of a 'brain'?

2) if reality is real, i.e. NOT hypothetical
    (based on individual perception), then
    why does certain (all?)information one
    receives has to go through the brain
    to be processed (read)?

------------------
    General Philosophy

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Talking

I don't think one instance is enough to judge the value of a brain. Maybe the worm with the brain would out-perform the other worm in different circumstances- such as, finding food, or being able to survive in difficult situations. Sure, they both prefered the moist conditions, but perhaps worm B could survive in more adverse conditions.

Given the choice but no climate control, would you rather live in Phoenix (Curse this hell hole!) or San Diego? (You do have a brain, don't you?)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Cool

good point to all of you!
    (welcome, eris--glad you came way down here wink )

actually, i think the project concerning the worms was really just an example of what i was getting at.

the object was to realize that regardless of the environment, both worms acted accordingly AND with similar results.
    my 2 questions remain.

why is having a brain necessary to interperate what can easily be done without a brain?
    eris makes a good point--what if the brain is for memory?
    what and why are we to remember at all?

------------------
    General Philosophy

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hmmm... this doesn't quite translate to humans, you know. Our bodies are much more complex than a worm's. Without at least the medulla oblongata, we'd not even be breathing. With out the cerebellem, we'd have no reflexes. And without the cerebrum, we'd not have internet message boards in which we discuss whether or not our brains are needed.

------------------

The Neil & Neal Show

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Talking

You make a very good point eris.

The experiment with the worms was a situation in which a brain was not neccessary to choose a course of action- instinct was enough. But for more complicated situations, and more complicated organisms, the brain may become neccessary.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

ok ok.....i see where my example is messed up. the point of the worms was to show evolutionary processes.

lets hypothesize:
    (god willing we all believe in evolution)

the point is that somewhere in the evolutionary chain, worm A developed into worm B. from that point, other things began to evolve from these two similar creatures.

eventually, (as we can conclude) those that evolved from worm B included much more complex creatures with many more abilities involving the usage of the brain. this only created a more revolutionary brain. eventually humans step out.

in worm A, most that have evolved from it have remained evolutionary infants, without major bodily maneuverabilities or control thereof. basic jellies and lower organisms.

the proof of adequate advancements because of the evolution of the brain is not the question. as a matter of fact, the original question got lost along the way....
    but no matter.

what i am wanting to know is:
    what is/was the NEED to have a brain evolve? why the need to have advanced organisms? what is the goal?

what is the meaning of life???? hahahahahahaha!!!!!

(don't answer that last one)

i just want to know the reason nature(?) created the cluster of cells.

------------------
    General Philosophy

TastinGood

Has anyone ever had those "Worms in Dirt"? It is a wonderful candy treat containing gummi worms covered in Oreo cookie crumbs. They dont taste all that good, but boy are they fun to eat!!!

------------------

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SHATOUSHKA:
    what is the meaning of life???? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Care and feeding of one's housecat, of course. (like, DUH)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SHATOUSHKA:
    i just want to know the reason nature(?) created the cluster of cells.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I dunno man, I wasn't there.

Perhaps the cluster didn't have a purpose, it was just a sport mutation that carried through the genes when the worm reproduced.

------------------

The Neil & Neal Show

[This message has been edited by erisesoteric (edited September 06, 2001).]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    isn't he just the cutest thing, ladies and gentlemen?????

------------------
    General Philosophy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast