Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Talking

Oh, ok... I thought I was in the coffin already in your hypothetical...

Ideally, my answer wouldn't change. I'd try to escape before and after being put in the coffin...

Actually, I imagine I'd be less likely to kill in that situation, since the threat of death is not immediate- he's not taking aim with a gun or coming at me with a knife- he's coming at me with a six foot long box.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!! Not a six foot long box!!!

Senior Hostboard Member Hannibal's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Red face

So if perhaps I were to come at you with a loaded gun, and were to say "now your going to die..." and you were in the corner of an alley, with no where to run, and let's say you yourself also have a loaded gun in your pocket. You wouldn't pull the gun and shoot me? You think that you would be able to let yourself get shot? Is this what your saying?

------------------

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Why are they trying to kill you? If it's for a lame ass reason then yes, your life is worth more than theirs in the opinion of many. I've got to go now but I'll be back later, interesting topic.

Quickly though, yes: It is suicide.

------------------

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

hey, killa--glad to see you here. i am very interested in your thoughts. you have shown that you have some worth thinking of. wink

can't wait to see what you have to say on this.

------------------
    General Philosophy

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Talking

It doesn't matter why someone is trying to kill me- murder is murder and death is death regardless of the reason...

Hannibal- Letting myself be shot would either be the easiest or most difficult thing in the world to do; I'm not sure. Would I be able to just let go?... I s'pose we'd never know unless the situation arose...

I think the thing that lies at the heart of this issue for me is the judgement call I'd be making if I did kill in self defense. I'd be saying by my actions that my life is worth more than that of the person who was trying to kill me. But is one life worth more than another? Who can really make that judgement?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question

this is just a question for anyone and everyone to answer in their own opinions. perhaps this would help me understand what everyone is meaning in their answers.

question:

what difference does ANY (human) life make?

--------------------------------------------
    *note--
    and just as a reminder, people, just because someone argues one thing, does not mean they believe that one thing.

------------------
    General Philosophy

Inactive Member Devil's Advocate's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Smile

FUN TOPIC... my initial thought is:
    Every single life acts & therefore reacts & therefore affects other lives. How that affect is understood & transferred throughout society can be astronomical. Even the most insignificant of lives affect other people in some way shape or form which can lead to changes in thought patterns, changes in morality, changes in fashion etc, etc. We all in some way contribute to our society (even our global society) as we currently know it. Weather we agree or disagree with our society - buy into or refute our society - we all contribute.

Yes?????? I'm very interested in everyone else's opinion.

------------------

Senior Hostboard Member Hannibal's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I would like to agree, that lives are significant, but at the same point insignificant. I would like to agree with DA in the statement that we have profound impacts upon those around us and that it in turn affects others, etc... However I will argue that in a whole sense, I suppose that very few lives are significant, if any. Based upon my simple thinking which comes from the whole "what are we to the universe" kind of thought. We live, we die, we are but one planet in a vast and infinite *an assumption* universe. If I die today, I have left no mark on anything outside of this planet, therefore my signifigance is then depleted to nothing when looking at that aspect.
    But I suppose if you base it on earth as the whole, and our lives peice of it, then to a degree we each are significant. However small it may be.

------------------

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sure, we're all important to ourselves and some other people, perhaps even to our entire society.

So? All of human existence- you, me, society- is nothing. And I happen to think that is a beautiful thing.

It's kinda like Zela's signature...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

just for those who don't like to scroll back
    (proud of signature)

------------------
    Sure the universe is a great place, but if it wasn't here, no-one would miss it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12