Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question

can you describe reality without using ANY (previous) theory of reality?

*if you have to substitue the 1st 'reality' in the equation with a 'thing' (like a chair, or a person, etc) do so.

------------------
    General Philosophy

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Wink

ooooh pulling the methodic doubt out of the closet again eh?

------------------
    Sure the universe is a great place, but if it wasn't here, no-one would miss it.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    no, I can't

------------------

Senior Hostboard Member Hannibal's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    *scratches head* Hmmm...... I thought the whole reason we had theorys for stuff like this, was so questions such as this didn't arrive. But then on the other hand before these theories came into play, the must've described it somehow right? Hmmm perhaps if you could give me an example scenario?? Because my brain doesn't seem to function quite this in depth yet... muahahaha...

------------------

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The most important factor that comes out of empirical philosophy is Cause and Effect. There is NO-THING that happens without a previous Cause, and that all "things" are connected to, and are a result of C&E.

Keeping the C&E in Mind, EVERY-THING becomes Real, because it is an Infinite cycle of Real things.

Reason.....

According to philosophical understandings, If the Mind is "Real" and exists, which is a an Effect of a Cause, then the Cause that Caused it should also be Real, and since all Causes and Effects have an Infinite connection, then ALL that comes form any Cause, necessarily should be Real, or exist. There cannot be an "un-real" Cause.

Dreams are dreams, but are Real. Not what you "see", but that "dreams" do exist, is a fact, and that there are Real Causes behind it.
    (Why do we dream? and is our "Existence" a big dream? And, why not our "dreams" are our Real existence and our "life" a dream? {Some people believe that} is another topic though)

"Illusions" are Illusions, but in the same manner, they are Real in the sense that they do exist.

If you pick up a chair, and slam it on my head, you will witness a Real Effect, and you could predict the result to a certain extent. You could even keep the tel no. of a nearby hospital handy before you did that.

And that is Real!

Things are said to be "illusions" in the sense that when you go back in Cause and Effect, you remain nothing more than an Effect of billions of Causes that preceded "you"; so in that sense, Your Mind has no identity separated for the causes that caused it; otherwise, "you" are as Real as Reality can be.

So, All that happens is Real, and that is the Truth and Reality. One can always argue on that though, but IMO we have taken a full circle in philosophical questioning, of first understanding the Reality of the Mind through eliminating that which we doubted as being Real, and come to a point where all becomes Real after understanding the Nature of Cause & Effect.

------------------
    ....just IMHO though.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Red face

cause and effect are a theory of reality.

i ned something other than a previous theory. and yes, i am referring to a (previous perhaps?) way to define reality.

------------------
    General Philosophy

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

anything that happens is a nice definition biggrin
    but it doesn't really help

------------------
    Sure the universe is a great place, but if it wasn't here, no-one would miss it.