Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Exclamation

When the WTC towers fell I recalled a shocking story from life of Jesus. His understanding of daily events and human experience drove me to reconsider my relationship with God. Perhaps some of you will do the same.

When the people of his day complained about injustices committed against Jewish worshippers (much like we complain about injustice) Jesus turned the tables on them encouraging them to consider deeper matters of the heart.

I do not want to trivialize the terrorism at NY or DC. Nor do I want to make Jesus seem cavalier (he wasn't!). But I would
    encourage everyone reading this to reconsider (or consider for the first time) their relationship with Jesus Christ.

Often we hear the rhetoric of revolt, struggle and absurdity. Do we mean it?

Let's Revolt against the world by returning to our Creator and Savior. Let's resist the powers of darkness and despair by receiving the power, grace and truth of Jesus.

The truth is that unless we repent (change our minds and lives) we will face worse devastation than we experienced yesterday. I plead with you, seek the Lord while he may be found.

If you desire to converse more about this please let me know. I have written these words out of love for my fellow human neighbors.

Please Read Gospel of Luke 13:1-9, a parable for our time.

------------------

[This message has been edited by marturios (edited September 12, 2001).]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Exclamation

thank you, maturios, for your comments.

------------------
    General Philosophy

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Talking

I went to church yesterday (I'm a practicing Catholic, though I'm really not a believing Catholic...). Before that, my confidence in human nature was severely shaken. But being in church made me feel much better, and I came out smiling and feeling almost giddy. Had I felt the power of Jesus? No, not exactly. But I was cheered by the love and compassion that I saw in the people around me.

I think that what had the greatest effect on me while I was in church was being reminded of eternity...

At the risk of sounding like Jorge Luis Borges' PR man... I offer another "parable".

In the section of "Labrynths" called "Parables" there's an essay (I've forgotten what it is called) along the following lines: When every person dies, an innumerable number of unique memories dies with that person, including the memories of important events. For example, the memory of Jesus' face was lost forever the day that the last person who saw Jesus in person died. The essay treats this phenomenon as a lamentable thing.

In this case, however, I think this can be a good thing. In 80, 90, 100 years (a mere nanosecond in geologic time) the last person who was alive (and paying attention) on Sept. 11, 2001 will die. And with that person, so too will die the memory of what it was like to witness the horrible acts of that day, however indirectly.

People, countries, societies come and go, but time remains.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

that was a great post, kilzok.
    i really liked it.
    you had some good points.

now is it my turn to dissect it?
    ok...
    i think this isn't so much of a bantering of your post...but moreso my version had i been the one saying it.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>I went to church yesterday (I'm a practicing Catholic, though I'm really not a believing Catholic...).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

so does that mean that you go with the motions while deep inside remain cynically skeptical?
    i am not sure what you mean.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Before that, my confidence in human nature was severely shaken.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i found this unanimously true yesterday when i went to the gas pumps. boy, even in the wake of a national tragedy, people can still be jerks...thank god it has not (yet) been the coming of the 2nd great depression of the US. waiting 1.5 hours to fill the tank was worth all the damned insults people gave to one another.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>But being in church made me feel much better, and I came out smiling and feeling almost giddy. Had I felt the power of Jesus? No, not exactly. But I was cheered by the love and compassion that I saw in the people around me.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

that is what i found online last night...not in reality. such a shame.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>I think that what had the greatest effect on me while I was in church was being reminded of eternity...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

eternity....? or the finite?

the remains of your post ring true. it is a scary thing. is it really all that sad to know that the memories of yesterday will be forgotten (meaning--the initial horror...not the cause/effects therein)

as awful as i may be to say this, future generations will no longer think of yesterdays events because in 80, 90, 100 years, they will have their own initial tragedies to compare it to.

as it stands, i have yet to fully understand my own reactions to the disaster.

------------------
    General Philosophy

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Talking

There's nothing cynical about my view of religion. I go through the motions because I enjoy it. I enjoy going to church to take time out from everyday life- to be reminded that I am not perfect, the world does not revolve around me, and that, even if there is no god, there is something that will continue long after we all die.

This is what I meant by eternity... Humans are finite, but time/the universe is eternal (as far as I can tell). We are an infinestimal part of it all, and even the events that seem huge to us do not matter one bit to the other side of the galaxy, the planet next door, or even the rock on which we stand.

(Damn, I'm starting to creep myself out...)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

i remember you in my prayers. these are disturbing times for all of us regardless of race, creed or philosophy.

as a christian i hope that many hearts will turn upward toward the true and living God.

lamenting, with hope.

------------------