Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: which came first--the chicken or the egg?

Senior Hostboard Member Hannibal's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    *clears his throat* Semantics. I misspelled the word. My sincere apologies oh wise one.
    I-unlike you oh perfectionist- commonly misspell words of which I know the meaning of, but am unfamiliar as to the correct spelling. Simply because if I can sound it out to almost the same thing, then I assume others will have the knowledge to pronounce it as read.
    Eh hem.
    I also think it is funny that you claim that semiotics are not synonymous with semantics, but you also think that it's ironic how someone accuses you of being a semanticist, while simultaneously accused of rudeness to someone on another list who urged me to read a book on semiotics.
    You see, if they are not synonymous, there is no irony here. Making your statement a double negative so to speak. Or at least just proving yourself wrong.
    Which coming from someone who seems so high and mighty is an awfully stupid mistake.
    Now, I do believe the reason you feel so attacked, is probably due to the fact that, you keep talking.

Your like one of those persons who can't just seem to sit quiet after realizing his mistake. Wait, could this be because you don't make mistakes... ahh yes, your little "outs". I heard no denial from you about those, you mearly brought up my misspelling of a word that most people don't know the meaning of, let alone spelling. *Every day I am suprised how many people don't know what SEMANTICS are (see that? correct spelling)*
    At any rate, I do concur with Shatoushka,
    You are officially a "bitch"

------------------

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    **extra point I forgot**
    I do enjoy arguing with another semantical demon such as myself. I find it quite fun. Both of my parents have taught me the art of semantics since I was first learning to argue. *go mom and dad!*
    However, they also taught me proper procedure in an argument, and common curtesy.

Of which it seems you need to learn. Semantics are a game many play, but few master, in the case of myself, I am well learned but far from masterfull yet. As for you it seems as if you also, know a good deal, however you refuse to admit when your wrong. You see, a good semanticist will admit their defeat on one point, whilst bringing up another point to maliciously maul over. This tactic has seemed to escape you, and you burn one point into the ground, until the other no longer hates just the point, but you as well.

That, is unsmart,unlearned, and well, horrible arguing/debating. I just thought I might add, it's okay to be wrong. Being wrong doens't make your semantical skills any less, but how you recover from your mistake, now THAT is how you truly work semantics.

I'll offer lessons to anyone who is interested. And I'll tell ya what MKF, your lessons are free, at least until you learn the decency of admitting when your wrong.

Once your smart enough to pick up on that, then I'll consider you smart enought to pay smile

------------------

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hannibal:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>*clears his throat* Semantics. I misspelled the word. My sincere apologies oh wise one.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I knew that.

I misspelled semiotics.

It is all right for you to misspell but it is not all right for me to misspell.

See the difference? You are acceptable and I am not acceptable. You could probably come here and post just about anything and you would be well praised for it. No matter what I post, it will be ill received here.

It has been decreed that I am a bitch.

Despite the reasonableness of my posts; despite my care; despite my sincerity; despite my intelligence; despite my great efforts to be affable and friendly; I have been stamped and certified as a bitch.

It is clear that, no matter what I write to this forum, I will always be pronounced a bitch.

Do you not see anything amiss in this certification?

Of course, it is possible that I may be taking things the wrong way. It is possible that being deemed a bitch on this forum is a desirable thing. It could be possible that the bitchier one is, the better.

This just seems rather perverted to me.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>I-unlike you oh perfectionist-<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am a perfectionist in writing.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>commonly misspell words of which I know the meaning of, but am unfamiliar as to the correct spelling. Simply because if I can sound it out to almost the same thing, then I assume others will have the knowledge to pronounce it as read.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I understand that. I would never have noted your misspelling had my own not been noted in a fairly derogatory manner. It is an asset to be able to spell correctly because correct spelling is not distractive. But it is more important to write something of substance.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Eh hem. I also think it is funny that you claim that semiotics are not synonymous with semantics,<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is not my claim. Semantics is not synonymous with semiotics.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>but you also think that it's ironic how someone accuses you of being a semanticist, while simultaneously accused of rudeness to someone on another list who urged me to read a book on semiotics. You see, if they are not synonymous, there is no irony here. Making your statement a double negative so to speak. Or at least just proving yourself wrong.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is yet ironic because it was assumed here that semiotics and semantics are the same. In fact, the irony is greater because of the mistake.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Which coming from someone who seems so high and mighty is an awfully stupid mistake.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have not set myself forth here as someone who is high and mighty.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Now, I do believe the reason you feel so attacked, is probably due to the fact that you keep talking. Your like one of those persons who can't just seem to sit quiet after realizing his mistake.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In this instance, I have made no mistake.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Wait, could this be because you don't make mistakes...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have never asserted that I am infallible or perfect.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>ahh yes, your little "outs". I heard no denial from you about those, you mearly brought up my misspelling of a word that most people don't know the meaning of, let alone spelling. *Every day I am suprised how many people don't know what SEMANTICS are (see that? correct spelling)*<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have no little "outs." I have spoken plainly here. I have left anything and everything open to discussion. There are no "tricks" to anything that I have written.

I cannot imagine why you say that most people are not aware of semantics.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>At any rate, I do concur with Shatoushka,<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, of course you do. I would expect nothing less than complete concurrence with Shatoushka from anyone posting here. I quite understand that.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>You are officially a "bitch"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am quite humbled by this.

Thank you, Hannibal.

Faizi

------------------

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Cool

I cannot imagine why you say that most people are not aware of semantics.

- Imagine if you will, a person basing something they say upon what they themselves have witnessed through interactions with others around them. Because that is what I have done. So imagine it with me.

It is yet ironic because it was assumed here that semiotics and semantics are the same. In fact, the irony is greater because of the mistake.
    -not from me, because I dont know what semiotics are, so I assume nothing. I hate to assume, and it should never be done.

I have never asserted that I am infallible or perfect.
    -So why is it that you said your a perfectionist in writing?? hmmmm, back track with me a bit...

I have no little "outs." I have spoken plainly here. I have left anything and everything open to discussion. There are no "tricks" to anything that I have written.

- I should hope that you've spoken openly. The whole idea behind it is to hide your outs so that your opponent is unaware of them, be them for your advantage, or as a scapegoat. And then to spring them at a later time when they are more fitting to the situation. Duh. A magician reveals not his secrets eh?

This is not my claim. Semantics is not synonymous with semiotics.
    -Exactly. I never said it was. I agreed with you that it wasn't, mearly because I know not what Semiotics is. Yet you seemed to assume that I thought it was. Shame on you. Assume, an ASS outta U and ME. I know you've heard that one before.

Practice what you preach, and quit contradicting yourself. Lesson 1 over and done with.

------------------

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234